Thread: Front Driver Floorboard Wet

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i E39

Front Driver Floorboard Wet

After searching relentlessly through the forums, I guess no one has this issue so I'm posting a new post on this. I have a 1999 528i in which the floorboard is partially wet near the left foot rest area every time it rains hard, here in Orlando, Florida. Pic is shown below

Here is basically what happens.

It rains

There is no "drip" as I don't see anything coming down onto the black plastic floor mat.

However upon lifting up the black plastic floor mat and the grey carpet, I can visually see a spot of water as if it was coming out from the bottom.

So far I have checked
    1. The Sunroof Drain (Drivers side). I have blown canned air (the type for computers, etc.) I have poured a several cap fulls of water down the drain and water seemed like it was coming out as I saw water coming out of the left side of the Splash guard shown in the picture below however I am still unsure if water is leaving behind water damage or not being fully drained out. I have heard that if the A pillar leaks, if the drain is back flowing however my pillars seem fine.

2. The Cabin Filter/Brake Booster area. I have read that sometimes that hole that drains our under the brake booster can be clogged so I poured water into there and saw underneath the car that water was draining. Here is where it was draining I also saw the hood latch cable was sealed so water could not have been leaking in there. However I did see two cables going down to a hole to the right of the brake booster but I could pull up and shove back down the cables so I don't think that hole was meant to be sealed. Will take a pic of it tomorrow. However I don't think there is a possibility of leakage in this area as there is a drain hole which is working fine.

3. Pulled the cover above the brake
    Pad and accelerator down. Bone dry. Definitely not that.

I also replaced the windshield cowl side covers. However didn't solve the mini water pool that forms.

I am thinking:
    *either the little hole with the two cables on the right of the brake booster
    *vapor barrier on driver side door. However, if the vapor barrier was failing, wouldn't the water also leak onto my black plastic mat?

Utterly lost here. Looking to see if anyone has this problem or has been in a situation similar to this. Tried to take as many pictures as possible.

Thanks a lot
    Tek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    are slow
    Vapor barrier would allow it to drip down the side and into that area.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Not saying this is it, but you may need to make sure the sunroof cassette drain tube on the front driver side corner of the cassette hasn't come loose. Very common problem. You can't see the attachment (it's behind the headliner) unless you remove some things (A pillar, sun visor, grip handle, and probably the overhead center console. Very slightly lower that corner of the headliner (don't crease it), enough to peak inside and test the drain tube connection with your hand. Both my front sunroof drain tubes were loose there. They were not clogged, so the water test allowed water out the normal drainhole behind the front wheel but water also dripped out from the connector, and down the A pillar and along the dash edge to the floor.

I had to pull them off the cassette corner nipples with my hands (grab the floppy ear tabs of the drain connector and slip it off), applied some Permatex ultra-black silicone rubber sealant (the ultra-black tolerates high temps up there on sunny days), and slipped back on. No leaks in over six years. Some DIYers also secure the drain connector tightly with a small ziptie.

Here's a fest thread with pics to give you some idea.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6365084

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i E39
    Quote Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
    Not saying this is it, but you may need to make sure the sunroof cassette drain tube on the front driver side corner of the cassette hasn't come loose. Very common problem. You can't see the attachment (it's behind the headliner) unless you remove some things (A pillar, sun visor, grip handle, and probably the overhead center console. Very slightly lower that corner of the headliner (don't crease it), enough to peak inside and test the drain tube connection with your hand. Both my front sunroof drain tubes were loose there. They were not clogged, so the water test allowed water out the normal drainhole behind the front wheel but water also dripped out from the connector, and down the A pillar and along the dash edge to the floor.

I had to pull them off the cassette corner nipples with my hands (grab the floppy ear tabs of the drain connector and slip it off), applied some Permatex ultra-black silicone rubber sealant (the ultra-black tolerates high temps up there on sunny days), and slipped back on. No leaks in over six years. Some DIYers also secure the drain connector tightly with a small ziptie.

Here's a fest thread with pics to give you some idea.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6365084
    Thanks. However I do not think that is my problem because if there was a loose connection, wouldn't the water that was leaking into the A pillar actually water damage the A pillar and you can visually see it from the outside?

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    My vote is on door vapor barrier adhesive failure.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    In addition to the vapor barrier, check your door drains. If they are clogged up, water can build up inside the door and leak out the puddle light, ending up exactly where you are finding it.

Have someone simulate rain with a hose on your door and sit inside and watch.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    get your hose, open door and 'spray' water onto window.

If it's vapor barrier you can see water coming from behind door panel.

Or pull the panel off to make it easier to see.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i E39
    Just hosed it down and still nothing Car is bone dry. Hosed the moonroof and driver side window but still no leak

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Next time it's going to rain, take out the floor mats and raise the carpet. Sprinkle baby powder up the foot well (or some other substitute that will stay there. Put some where ever you think water COULD come from. After the rain - look for the water tracks.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Another user just chased down a water leak, too - blacknight530i, IIRC, on his wagon.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the post where he solved the problem: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...7#post29718647
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i E39
    So was changing the fuel filter today and wanted to take a look at the wet floorboard issue and found this hole. Is it supposed to be hollow or is it supposed to be filled? If it's supposed to be plugged then should I tape it off?

P.S. the pink box is the hole I'm inquiring about and he blue box are the two lines that were moveable from next the master cylinder.

Thanks
    Tek

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    I don't know if the hole there is supposed to be plugged (I suspect it is; I think it holds the washer fluid tank on the passenger side??), but you're also missing the fuel filter cover splash shield (unless you just have it removed right now?).
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by tek.to View Post
    Thanks. However I do not think that is my problem because if there was a loose connection, wouldn't the water that was leaking into the A pillar actually water damage the A pillar and you can visually see it from the outside?

That depends. The insides of the A pillar covers are hard plastic (non-HPS models in 97-98 had a strip of foam cushion as well). On my car the loose drain tube connectors were leaking small amounts of rainwater straight down onto the headliner and top of the A pillar covers, and water was dripping out from the gap between the headliner/pillar covers up there but never left any stains on anything. Water is tricky stuff but once it establishes a trail, it will usually stick to it instead of wandering.... PS, if you've never pulled an A pillar, beware. Aside from the torx bolt hidden up top underneath that square plastic HPS cap, there's a thin plastic tab on the inside of the cover, about halfway down the pillar, and it needs to slip (be pulled) straight out of the metal clamp that's holding it underneath, so .... good chance of breaking it but if you feel with your fingers along both edges of the pillar cover until you find a spot with more resistance (again, should be about halfway down the pillar), that's where you'll want to try to gently pry/pull the cover off with your fingers from both edges.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that hole in your pic is a drain.
    Last edited by pleiades; 05-28-2017 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added info

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Sunroof drains, vapor barriers, we just had an e39 and the recently replaced windshield was the cause when the a pillar moulding was removed you could see the water coming thru check both drains in cabin filter holders