Thread: starter click but wont turn

My Cars
    bmw 523i

starter click but wont turn

i change starter conect everithing in order but when i turn key on nothing only click from starter....there are three wires on starter one big red with nonstop+, and two small.one of small wire has no power when i turn key on and i know it must be power or 12 volt in bolt of small wires when you turn the ignition key to start the engine...so EWS problem or else....batery is new.

Sent from my Elephone P8000 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    What is the battery voltage?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    not EWS. car would still crank. did you clean off wires before attaching to starter? single click means starter solenoid is firing but that there is not enough amps to turn starter motor.
    Last edited by gmak; 05-25-2017 at 01:37 AM.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    bmw 523i
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    not EWS. car would still crank. did you clean off wires before attaching to starter? single click means starter solenoid is firing but that there is not enough amps to turn starter motor.
    all clean ,strange is if i put directly + on small wire that as i say not have power then starter is turning on

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Which small wire? Can you circle it in a picture or diagram?

My Cars
    bmw 523i
    the smallest green attach to the top of starter in that wire no power when turn key on

My Cars
    bmw 523i
    attachet on the top of starter i think its green color,when start the key on, voltmeter on that wire show 0.77 volts

My Cars
    bmw 523i
    attached ontop of the starter the small green one.i put voltmetter on wire and when i turn key to start ,its show 0.77 volts

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    that is the starter wire - it will only have power when the start button is pushed or key turned.

It looks like the other terminal (the cable eyelet) needs to be sanded a bit .

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    ... and the nut installed!

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    bmw 523i
    that is the starter wire - it will only have power when the start button is pushed or key turned.

It looks like the other terminal (the cable eyelet) needs to be sanded a bit .
    well that is the problem no power when key is turnet....its show only 0.7 volt

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Likely either a bad wire/connection in between the ignition and the 'signal wire', or, maybe, bad ignition switch if all checks out.

Wiring for the 'signal wire' goes:

Ignition switch -> EWS -> starter

So bad ignition switch contacts inside could be working enough to provide a signal but not delivering the amps and causing the voltage drop.

Very long shot that inside the EWS is a relay failure. But as gmak rightly says, EWS is trying to activate the starter it 'should' be OK. They don't go bad that often.

However I'd start with wires/wiring first. Check the starter signal back to the EWS (does EWS put out a strong 12+ volts at its pin on 'start'?) and if all that wiring checks out, then work back to the ignition switch and if its putting out good voltage.
    Last edited by geargrinder; 05-26-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    bmw 523i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Likely either a bad wire/connection in between the ignition and the 'signal wire', or, maybe, bad ignition switch if all checks out.

Wiring for the 'signal wire' goes:

Ignition switch -> EWS -> starter

So bad ignition switch contacts inside could be working enough to provide a signal but not delivering the amps and causing the voltage drop.

Very long shot that inside the EWS is a relay failure. But as gmak rightly says, EWS is trying to activate the starter it 'should' be OK. They don't go bad that often.

However I'd start with wires/wiring first. Check the starter signal back to the EWS (does EWS put out a strong 12+ volts at its pin on 'start'?) and if all that wiring checks out, then work back to the ignition switch and if its putting out good voltage.
    i forgot to say,the black small wire you can see attach on the botom of starter has power about 9 or 10 volt and that wire work so lift the small gear inside i hear hard clik sound when start the key , big red have 11,7 volt so its ok ,only small wire dont have power,so my question is did 2 small wires must have power in same time when the start the key???

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    OK.

11.7 volts is weak. 9-10 volts is super weak. You do'nt have enough battery power in this car.

Black wire is the one that triggers the starter to turn. Black and yellow wire is a return signal to the cluster and the DME that says "car is now actually trying to turn over".
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    bmw 523i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    OK.

11.7 volts is weak. 9-10 volts is super weak. You do'nt have enough battery power in this car.

Black wire is the one that triggers the starter to turn. Black and yellow wire is a return signal to the cluster and the DME that says "car is now actually trying to turn over".
    so if i understand the small black wire is main with power to roll the starter and must have 12 volt when turn the key ,and the small yello black wire has nothing with power or its normal not to have power in this wire when key is on .i try to put direct 12 volt to black wire but norhing ,the same thing only lift somethin inside but not roll....big tnx for answers

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    The small black is 'starter signal'. It clicks a relay & solenoid inside to start the process. It doesn't provide the main power to turn the starter motor itself. The starter motor power comes from the big red cable but only gets turned on when the small solenoid fully clicks over. The small wire needs enough power to make the solenoid click over, if it doesn't have enough power it'll be like you see - it'll click softly but not fully engage. The real power to turn the motor comes from the big red cable.

Another thing to check is the engine grounds BTW which if they are bad, would cause all connections to be poor.

However: you almost certainly just have a dead battery. 11.7 is very weak as said before and these cars won't generally turn over at that kind of voltage. You said its new - have you charged it up fully? There are various faults that these cars can have that will flatten the battery overnight. Underhood light, shorts / water in the floor, stuff like that.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    bmw 523i
    update....finaly....the problem was starter,i take out from engine ,open inside the starter clean with some carburator spray,all put back and try direcly with batery...first wont work only big loud click i try couple times and finaly start to roll...i put back on the engine and try same thing couple times click and finaly start rolling the engine .....so starter was main problem tomorow i will change with new one ....voltage was the same as i say but it roll like charm.....SO BIG THANKS to all for help