Thread: Found my oil leak

My Cars
    1997 540I 6 speed

Found my oil leak

When I purchased my car it was leaving a decent puddle under the car. Found a few ps lines leaking, replaced them, thought I Wes good to go. Few weeks later, still getting puddles. Changed the oil today and found this.

Of course it's a dealer only part. Awesome.

It's one of the lines coming off the filter housing.

2001 Ford Lightning - Built Motor - Built Trans - 2.3 KB - Custom Interior - 537/632 - 11.40 @ 119.6 - Garage Queen
    2008 F-250 - Tune/Delete/Studs - Lifted - BroDozer
    1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009
    1993 Gen 1 Lightning #5194
    1968 Ford Mustang "Gold Nugget Special"
    2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
    2015 Hyundai Sonota Sport
    1997 BMW 540i
    My Youtube

My Cars
    2000 540i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by DustenA View Post
    When I purchased my car it was leaving a decent puddle under the car. Found a few ps lines leaking, replaced them, thought I Wes good to go. Few weeks later, still getting puddles. Changed the oil today and found this.

Of course it's a dealer only part. Awesome.

It's one of the lines coming off the filter housing.
    I'm in somewhat the same boat. Our 2000 540iT (which we bought last November) leaves a fair size puddle also. I began with the PS hoses and reservoir because they were all leaking PS fluid and I was having to top up the PS fluid often. Given that we were using only a quart of motor oil per 2000 miles I hoped that most of the puddle would be gone after fixing the PS leaks. Also did Vanos flange gaskets since they had turned from rubber to brittle plastic. I figured the rest of dealing with engine oil leaks would wait until I was doing something a little more major at the same time (such as cooling system and/or timing chain guides).

I have not been able to determine the exact location of the puddle. Valve cover gaskets show up in maintenance history a while back, but it is pretty obvious the upper timing chain cover gaskets are original. I thought I have read about o-rings that go bad on the motor oil filter hoses where they connect to the engine. Anyway, please share what your final fix was (bad hose?) as I am curious to get a closer looksee and would like to reduce the oil slick sooner rather than later. Is the leak at the engine end or the filter housing end?

My Cars
    1997 540I 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by msvphoto View Post
    I'm in somewhat the same boat. Our 2000 540iT (which we bought last November) leaves a fair size puddle also. I began with the PS hoses and reservoir because they were all leaking PS fluid and I was having to top up the PS fluid often. Given that we were using only a quart of motor oil per 2000 miles I hoped that most of the puddle would be gone after fixing the PS leaks. Also did Vanos flange gaskets since they had turned from rubber to brittle plastic. I figured the rest of dealing with engine oil leaks would wait until I was doing something a little more major at the same time (such as cooling system and/or timing chain guides).

I have not been able to determine the exact location of the puddle. Valve cover gaskets show up in maintenance history a while back, but it is pretty obvious the upper timing chain cover gaskets are original. I thought I have read about o-rings that go bad on the motor oil filter hoses where they connect to the engine. Anyway, please share what your final fix was (bad hose?) as I am curious to get a closer looksee and would like to reduce the oil slick sooner rather than later. Is the leak at the engine end or the filter housing end?
    It's leaking near the engine. In the picture you can see it's leaking at the connection from rubber to metal. I ordered the hose today, it'll probably be two weeks till it gets here and I have time to fix it.
    2001 Ford Lightning - Built Motor - Built Trans - 2.3 KB - Custom Interior - 537/632 - 11.40 @ 119.6 - Garage Queen
    2008 F-250 - Tune/Delete/Studs - Lifted - BroDozer
    1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009
    1993 Gen 1 Lightning #5194
    1968 Ford Mustang "Gold Nugget Special"
    2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
    2015 Hyundai Sonota Sport
    1997 BMW 540i
    My Youtube

My Cars
    2000 540i Touring
    Thanks for the additional info. Hopefully not too bad to swap out. I hope that fixes your leak!