Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil cleaning......?

My Cars
    e36 328i, 1971 240z

Oil cleaning......?

Is there any kind of oil treatment/cleaner that works like flushing a radiator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    Quote Originally Posted by gibroni87 View Post
    Is there any kind of oil treatment/cleaner that works like flushing a radiator

To flush oil out of the rad/cooling system?

Or yes there's oil treatments to help get gunk out of your engine but usually good quality oil will work out the bad stuff anyways

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    In the past, I've added a little ATF or Marvel's Mystery Oil to my oil about 100mi before an oil change. This isn't a full oil cleaning or flush, but it'll help pull some more gunk out of the engine when you change the oil.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Seafoam?

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    e36 328i, 1971 240z
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanniepoo View Post
    To flush oil out of the rad/cooling system?

Or yes there's oil treatments to help get gunk out of your engine but usually good quality oil will work out the bad stuff anyways
    I've been slowly changing gaskets an other miscellaneous stuff and just wanted to see if I could clean the inside of my block via a flush of some kind. I know there's always hot tanking it but I don't want to remove my engine all the way just get her cleaned as much as I can.

My Cars
    e36 328i, 1971 240z
    Quote Originally Posted by mslevin View Post
    In the past, I've added a little ATF or Marvel's Mystery Oil to my oil about 100mi before an oil change. This isn't a full oil cleaning or flush, but it'll help pull some more gunk out of the engine when you change the oil.
    Marvels mystery huh is that at a parts store...? Gotta say I've never heard of that before

My Cars
    e36 328i, 1971 240z
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    Seafoam?
    I've seen that in the parts store a lot. Never took the time to read the label. Is that what it's for?

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    isn't seafoam something you let the engine burn or run on for a while? that wouldn't help much with the oil circuit

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    Quote Originally Posted by gibroni87 View Post

I've been slowly changing gaskets an other miscellaneous stuff and just wanted to see if I could clean the inside of my block via a flush of some kind. I know there's always hot tanking it but I don't want to remove my engine all the way just get her cleaned as much as I can.

If you really want to "flush" it I've used liqui moli products and my engine didn't blow up. I can't really quantify if it actually helped anything.

I don't like the term flush. At least to me it implies leaving nothing behind. You obviously want to at least have some oil left behind on the cylinder walls and whatnot.
    Last edited by Nanniepoo; 05-24-2017 at 07:11 PM.

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    After I did my head gasket, I also wanted to get rid of any gunk or particles inside the oil galleries. I went and bought the cheapest filter and 5w30 synthetic I could find, and used a quart of Marvel's Mystery Oil in place of a quart of oil. Ran it for about a week then replaced the oil and filter with good stuff. I think something like that will fit your needs.

My Cars
    96 328i, 92 318i
    A friend of mien has told me putting a bottle of Berryman B-12 chemtool in the oil and letting it up 10 minutes before chanign it will strip away tons of crud. I haven't done it myself though so I can't speak from personal experience. I usually dump a bottle of seafoam into the oil and let it run for 10 min. before an oil change, for every oil change.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Rislone (sp)? Everyone swears by it. Comes In a yellow bottle

()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    1998 318is DASC
    I've used off-the-shelf oil flush products which you put in before changing the oil and idle the engine for about 15 minutes. On one of my cars doing this would improve the lifter tick for a little while at least.

I've also heard people using diesel in the oil the same way but not sure about that, as there are mixed reports if you Google it, so might be an element of danger. Though, someone did tell me that they did this as they were having problems with a clogged oil pickup and it worked well.
    Now: 1998 E36 318is coupe (supercharged) Past: 1997 E36 318is sedan; 1991 E36 325i sedan; 1994 E36 318is; 1990 E30 318is; 1995 E36 M3; 1990 E30 318is
    My BMW 3 Series Blog | DASC Owners Group on Facebook | Car Magazine Collector | Auto Books and Manuals | 1984 Australian Cannonball Cup

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Quote Originally Posted by DotBeta View Post
    A friend of mien has told me putting a bottle of Berryman B-12 chemtool in the oil and letting it up 10 minutes before chanign it will strip away tons of crud. I haven't done it myself though so I can't speak from personal experience. I usually dump a bottle of seafoam into the oil and let it run for 10 min. before an oil change, for every oil change.

Dont use Berryman for this purpose. Although they've changed the formula for environmental reasons, it can be quite caustic and doesn't have lubricating properties of oil. It shouldn't be run through an operating engine. I use it to strip carbon from carburetors I rebuild and it works well in this capacity. It's also effective for removing stubborn deposits on small parts my parts cleaner can't handle.

mslevin made a good recommendation on Marvel Mystery Oil. I also pour it directly into spark plug chambers on seized engines or prior to restarting a block that has sat in storage for an extended period of time. You can find it at any FLAPS. I believe I picked it up at Autozone the last time.

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    I'm not a believer in flush products, and neither is BMW if you read the Owner's Manual. On a particularly neglected engine you *could* dislodge a major bit of gunk that ends up blocking the oil pickup in the sump - there goes your engine. It could also get stuck in a bearing; there goes you engine (albeit over a longer period).
    Your mileage may vary, of course, and plenty of people have used "flush products" and other types of snake oil with varying degrees of success.

Instead, my recommendation is using a diesel conventional oil like Shell Rotella, Castrol RX etc., assuming they carry an API rating for a gasoline engine (i.e. SL, SM, SN) in addition to whatever diesel ratings. You'll be looking for a 15w40, although a 10w30 could work (assuming a HTHS of 3.5 or above, or a similar cSt @ 100ºC to BMW-approved xW-30 oils).
    Change it often, say every 3-5k miles.

Interestingly, while a good synthetic can definitely prevent deposits, and even clean them out over time, old-fashioned mineral oils are actually quite good at cleaning some types of deposits, particularly those that cause oil consumption or sludge buildup. Seems the impurities in the Group 1 basestocks of some mineral oils work to dissolve this sort of crud.
    Wouldn't surprise me if at least some oil additive products like MMO simply rebottled this stuff!

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Have you taken the valve cover off? Is the top end gunked up? You can also get a $12 borescope camera on Amazon, and look inside the oil pan for gunk.

If the engine is relatively clean, let the sleeping dogs sleep.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    Rislone (sp)? Everyone swears by it. Comes In a yellow bottle

Second that. Dad used it and now I do when needed, which has been never in a BMW.

And I use it the same way you guys use other stuff- dump it in before oil change time. Depending how nasty the motor is, I may add the Rislone and a filter, run it for a day or two (getting it. Ice and hot) and dumping it hot.

Then fill up with whatever oil and a new filter.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    Run Rotella T6 5w40. That stuff really cleans an engine out

My Cars
    E39 530i
    A few weeks ago I used an oil engine cleaner from Motul, just before changing my oil (I put Motul X-Cess 5w40 fully synthetic). The old oil had about 7000 km on it, but after using the engine cleaner it got out rather dirty. I would say I feel the engine sweater now, and lifters are quieter...

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
    Run Rotella T6 5w40. That stuff really cleans an engine out
    +1 for Rotella T6 5w40. I use it in my E36 and my Jeep, both seem to run much smoother.

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mslevin View Post
    +1 for Rotella T6 5w40. I use it in my E36 and my Jeep, both seem to run much smoother.
    There's an eBay seller in Australia that distributes the T6 - a smidge more expensive than the 15w40 offerings locally. Seemed to be quieter with this oil.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    198,000 miles on the original engine and it looks like brand new still. Never did a "flush" or anything like that just ran good synthetic oil.

11703268_10153050640532993_3000775697072553235_o.jpg
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    e36 328i, 1971 240z
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
    198,000 miles on the original engine and it looks like brand new still. Never did a "flush" or anything like that just ran good synthetic oil.

11703268_10153050640532993_3000775697072553235_o.jpg
    That looks nice dude. My only problem is I tried synthetic once and my car hated it. It keep shuttering hard like it was gonna die. I tried 10w40, 30 and 5w 40 not all were synthetic but my car only seems to like 5w30 none synthetic. If I ran your fluid do you think it would just take a bit to get use to I have a 328i 98 it has 230000. I was using penzoil when I first bought it euro kind for the first year then I went to Mobil one since I've had it for 7. Was doing some research about the best kind of oil to run an there were very different answers from everyone. So I tried a few just to experiment and found my cars a picky little bitch lol.

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Your car shouldn't be stuttering hard just because you changed the oil, whether you moved to synthetic or not.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    ^^^ yea what he said. You have other issues.

()()===[][]===()()

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast