Thread: Track Day Video - Autobahn Coutry Club.

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

Track Day Video - Autobahn Coutry Club.

Windy City BMW - Autobahn South Track. (Green/Experienced group).

A long weekend, that was a great experience. Friday started with 3 dry laps, followed by a full day of wet/damp running. Saturday started out wet and dried by the end of the day. Sunday was perfect.

Learning the wet line and dealing with some less than optimal tires (RE-71s) was a tough day. The back end wanted to step out all the time but learning to deal with the changing conditions was a great opportunity. So much to be aware off and control inputs have to be really smooth. I borrowed a set of Bridgestone S-04's from my wife for Saturday's wet sessions and was very happy, compared to the RE-71's rain performance.

I'll add more video as I work through the 100GB+ from 3 camera's.

In the end I did over 150 laps, had 3 visits to the grass, 2 on track spins and a whole load of great memories.

The improvement from last years event here was quiet marked! I worked with the same instructor as last year and no matter how good you think you are, a good instructor will always make you better. I dropped 4 seconds compared to last year and increased the apex speed in some corners by 10mph (TURN 4!)

Almost did not make it to the weekend. Last session on friday!

Playing follow the leader with another M coupe.

Quickest lap of the weekend, I can still see places where I'm not hitting my marks but overall a pretty good lap!

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    Looks like a fun weekend.

Here's a clip from my last track weekend. This was the warmup session on day 2 of the BMW Club Race school at MSR Cresson. As you can see, drag racing a new M4 GTS on the straights was not my brightest idea.

2001 Steel Gray MCoupe - 147,000 miles and owned since new. MCS 2WNR suspension, Hotchkiss swaybar, poly bushings all around, cat delete headers with custom tune, 3.73 LSD, and Clownshoe Motorsports rear subframe reinforcement.

2014 Porsche Cayman S / 2022 BMW X3M Competition / 2020 Ram Rebel

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobkid View Post
    Looks like a fun weekend.

Here's a clip from my last track weekend. This was the warmup session on day 2 of the BMW Club Race school at MSR Cresson. As you can see, drag racing a new M4 GTS on the straights was not my brightest idea.
    So I have to ask...what were the passing rules (or were there not any)? You mention that it as part of the club race school?

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by SunzOut View Post
    So I have to ask...what were the passing rules (or were there not any)? You mention that it as part of the club race school?
    This was practice for pass anywhere without point by (racing versus DE). 16 student cars and 8 instructor cars on track at once, getting us used to different lines and 2 or 3 wide through the corners. Totally different experience and a blast.
    2001 Steel Gray MCoupe - 147,000 miles and owned since new. MCS 2WNR suspension, Hotchkiss swaybar, poly bushings all around, cat delete headers with custom tune, 3.73 LSD, and Clownshoe Motorsports rear subframe reinforcement.

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Very nice. Hoping to make it there this year. Looks like a really fun track!

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
    Very nice. Hoping to make it there this year. Looks like a really fun track!
    We normally have 10+ cars from IOWA at this weekend event.

We have another single day HPDE on July 31st - 3.56 mile full track!

http://savethedate.windycitybmw.com/

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    I am going to try and hit the NASA event at the end of July, if everything works out. I have a pretty full schedule though, but it should be doable.

My Cars
    '98 M Roadster

Good lines. The M4 would have benefited a good bit if s/he had taken the same lines as you did.
    Jim

1998 ///M Roadster
    2007 Audi RS4
    2016 Audi S4

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MRFAST View Post
    Good lines. The M4 would have benefited a good bit if s/he had taken the same lines as you did.
    If he were willing to push that M4 into some of those lines, I never would've been able to even stay close to him. My only hope was his aversion to dinging up a 1 of 300 car. Bigger guts than I would've had driving it though.

My Cars
    '98 M Roadster
    If he were willing to push that M4 into some of those lines, I never would've been able to even stay close to him. My only hope was his aversion to dinging up a 1 of 300 car. Bigger guts than I would've had driving it though.
    At an HPDE I drove at Cresson years ago a Ferrari driver was pretty much refusing to take his car on a wet track. More than half of the group was faster than he was in the dry just because most of his effort was in avoiding other cars. I get it. But if I could afford a new Ferrari (or M4) I would also have a cheap track car.
    Jim

1998 ///M Roadster
    2007 Audi RS4
    2016 Audi S4