Thread: Referred to you guys.... anybody do an LS swap with turbo and gm 6speed

My Cars
    2014 C63 AMG

Referred to you guys.... anybody do an LS swap with turbo and gm 6speed

Do any M Coupe owners have experience with motor swaps with the LS motors? Will it fit? With a turbo will it fit? Matting a gm 6speed possibly as well.

figured I'd start a thread here to see if this swap will work along with a snail.

Is there enough room for fitment and a decent size turbo? Thinking 7685 for a motor that size.

Thank you for referring or letting me know who has done this, thanks!

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    One less swap was done in the KC area can't remember user name. Nice car.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    I think there have been a few LS swaps but I don't recall any that were FI. What are your power goals?
    Turbos are quite popular these days...
    Last edited by E.Hands; 05-23-2017 at 10:35 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    A LS and a T56 for no problem. I'm sure a turbo would not be a problem. A few LS turbo e36's are around. I would like to think the z3 has more room in front of the motor.

I'm building a forged aluminum 5.3/t56 magnum with twin 6262 turbos. I have a build thread but at this point I'm just collecting parts. Most of the big ticket items are in my hands now.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Yes it will fit. You will likely need a custom manifold. Steering shaft and ps plumbing can be a challenge getting the exhaust system to fit on left side. Why turbo?. It is very easy to get 550+ out of an NA LS. I am 420 at the wheel in lightened track only car with a very mild LS2. It can be a handful. Turbo will require some better drive line parts out back.
    I just inquired about a Tremec T56 Magnum. Standard GM shifter fitment will work best. Lots of kits out there. I will say...it is much easier to fab up the mounts than you think. In fact that was probably the easiest part. Set up your budget then double it. Good luck.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    z3
    Shouldn't have any problems fitting a snail... looks to be plenty of room (more than the stock engine from the looks of it!!!)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
    A LS and a T56 for no problem. I'm sure a turbo would not be a problem. A few LS turbo e36's are around. I would like to think the z3 has more room in front of the motor.

I'm building a forged aluminum 5.3/t56 magnum with twin 6262 turbos. I have a build thread but at this point I'm just collecting parts. Most of the big ticket items are in my hands now.
    Whoa!!! Is that engine/transmission for the Coupe??? Got a link to the build thread?

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-L33-twin-6262

Yep for the coupe. I have a thread but it's really just part collecting at this point.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-L33-twin-6262
    Last edited by fallguy; 05-24-2017 at 07:21 PM.

My Cars
    2014 C63 AMG
    Thank you all for the posts. This was helpful and encouraging.

I am going turbo because my goal is 800rw with more room in it, but 800rw is the goal. Boost only. I do not plan to use the BMW driveline as I am sure they will shatter at those power levels; I plan to swap for a GM 6 speed etc.

My main concern is the rear and subframe and whether they can handle those sorts of power levels. I guess there's only one way to find out.

Thank you again,

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    The subframe will not like it. You will need to do something about it I'm sure.

The rear end might not like it that much unless you only use street tires.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    DSC7610-M.jpgMaybe need something like this?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    800rw in a tail happy coupe with no traction management. Sure, that will be fun.
    You are in Germany. Isn't it more feasible to use a BMW v8? Aren't LS motors a bit pricey over there?
    Only reason I used an LS is that the motor is simple to source in the US.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Armo95 View Post
    I am going turbo because my goal is 800rw with more room in it

My main concern is the rear and subframe and whether they can handle those sorts of power levels. I guess there's only one way to find out.
    Lol... some 1.9's have had subframe issues with 138hp. Do you honestly think there is any even slightly remote possibility of you getting by for any meaningful length of time without reinforcing the subframe when pushing 800hp+?

I wouldn't even put a Z3 on the road with that much power if the subframe wasn't reinforced...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2014 C63 AMG
    I was in Germany for work for a couple years, but back in the States for good now.

Of course Im not leaving the subframe stock- I owned an M Coupe before and I'm very familiar how weak they are back there.

I am planning to reinforce the subframe with Randy's kit and likely explore other/better options. And the rear will need work/swap too.

I have found a few LS6 motors for sale- so maybe that's the foundation. With an LS6, a decent cam, headers and blower would do it as well. But there is just something about going turbo........

Thank you guys- looks like the motor will fit with room to spare, this thread was very helpful - will keep you all posted as I progress.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Good to use Randy's kit. I did some plates on the diff and barred over to the tower that tied to the cage and it is still slowly cracking apart back there.
    You will need to do custom headers with larger primaries for that horse power I think. The kits use a 1.5 primary. Man my memory is getting bad.
    Vorshlag and CXRacing has off the shelf swap headers. I use the CX header. It is a very nice product for the price. Just some minor spatter clean up and then I wrapped. Turned out very nice. The collector pinches in a little more than I like and limits tranny access. But that is minor. I use a ramped and a very numericly low gear in the rear end. Tall gears in the diff are stronger and for my needs perfect. Watch your torque multiplier figure. Much higher than 10 in first gear will be worthless. With 800hp, I might try to stay under 10 and probably closer to 9. You may disagree but the chance of a spiral fracture of the half shaft components will be very real and that can make for a really bad day.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    I picked up a IRS diff from a Ford Explorer. Plan to use it if I trash one or two stock diffs

I think it really comes down to going drag racing and using slicks. If you are not doing that the stock diff might hold. Manual transmission is also really hard on the drive line.

The setup I'm building will be able to dish out 1000whp. However I think I will just keep it safe on pump gas. What ever it likes. 700ish I'm thinking.

I have built a few cars with 600-800hp. And on the street it's just useless.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    I have built a few cars with 600-800hp. And on the street it's just useless.
    I 100% agree, but everyone has their own idea of use. But...I drive like an old lady on the street.
    Drivers on the public roads scare the hell out of me daily.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Im in the middle of doing an ls2 twin turbo z3 at the moment

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr20Tz3 View Post
    Im in the middle of doing an ls2 twin turbo z3 at the moment
    Woah I would love to see some pics and specs. I have an idea of how I'm going to run mine. But seeing another one always helps

My Cars
    Z3M 6.2 V8, F30 335d
    Seems tight for twins. I have a LS3 / T56 fitted and have been looking into a turbo upgrade. If i do it it will be a single T4 flange front mounted. There is room with radiator moved forwards 75mm.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Deano1712; 05-31-2017 at 05:30 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    I have seen a 2-3 twin turbo e36s

I think the z3 has more room.

My Cars
    S/C LS2 e46, LS e367&8
    I think the z3 has more room.
    It does, quite a bit more room and locations of the rack and other pieces make it easier than an E36 to even LS swap.

When my mounts arrive, I'll have photos of 2 E36s and 2 Swapped Zs.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    I also think the brake booster is more tucked in. Did not know about the rack.