Thread: 2001 auto-leveling headlights fix

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT

2001 auto-leveling headlights fix

The auto-leveling function for my headlights has finally failed.
    The repair looks like a PITA.

My wagon has auto-leveling rear air-suspension, so auto-leveling headlights are not really needed. Is there a way to manually adjust the headlights to a fixed position that is optimal?
    Garrett

My Cars
    82 635csi Euro, 99 540I
    If you haven't already, check the auto level sensor mounted on your front control arm. That is what broke on my car. I replaced both of my headlights before I checked that part. I would have saved some money...

My Cars
    82 635csi Euro, 99 540I
    Part 1/9 on realoem. I have a 99 540I manual sedan.

ForumRunner_20170524_065352.png

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Yeah, I have the headlights removed for lens cover rehab (which went quite well - they look brand new!), and I can hear the broken adjuster bits rattle around inside. The bulb housings/reflectors also flop around at will. So I'm pretty sure these adjusters are toast.

Ordered new adjusters off eBay. Will DIY. If this does not remedy the aim problem, then the sensor is next on the agenda. Thanks!

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Test your lenses to determine which one or both adjusters are broken. When you grab the bulbs mounted in the housings are both sides flopping around, or is the high beam side tighter than the low beam side?
    The low beam adjusters are simple to install compared to the high beam side. Just make sure you remove all the pieces before installing the adjusters.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Test your lenses to determine which one or both adjusters are broken. When you grab the bulbs mounted in the housings are both sides flopping around, or is the high beam side tighter than the low beam side?
    The low beam adjusters are simple to install compared to the high beam side. Just make sure you remove all the pieces before installing the adjusters.
    I cant really discern a difference from high to low, so I'm thinking both are spent.

On another note, one of my angel eye bulbs is dead. Is there a go-to angel eye product, these days? Something plug n play that will dazzle the senses?
    Garrett

My Cars
    e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    The auto-leveling function for my headlights has finally failed.
    The repair looks like a PITA.

My wagon has auto-leveling rear air-suspension, so auto-leveling headlights are not really needed. Is there a way to manually adjust the headlights to a fixed position that is optimal?
    Based on your later comments it seems you have the issue handled, but I just wanted to clarify the difference between the auto-level system and the headlight aim/headlight adjusters. You aim the headlight manually using the external controls for those internal adjusters.The auto level will then make minor height adjustments based on changes in vehicle load as determined by the suspension sensors. The auto level makes corrections for things like carrying a bunch of passengers in the backseat or a lot of heavy cargo in the trunk. It should also correct under heavy braking or acceleration.

If one of your sensors is bad, installed upside down or if there is some other issue it is possible the auto-level can move your headlights too far down or too far up. So if you are still having issues after you replace your adjusters and manually aim your headlights then you can look at the self leveling system and figure out what is wrong with it.

And yes if you want you can disconnect the self leveling system (just unplug the leveling motor on the back of the headlight). 99% of people who retrofit xenons onto halogen cars do not retrofit the self leveling system as it is rather involved. As lons as you lights are not aimed too high you should not have any problems.

For a more detailed description of the auto level system read this via edjack
    Read Jim Cash's description:

Auto-leveling HID upgrade
    I just upgraded my 97 528i headlights to a 2001 540i xenon hid headlights with self leveling. does anyone know what or how I can make any mod's so I could use the self leveling option? Thanks

You have to do the following:
    - add position sensors to the right side front & rear suspension. (might have to replace the rear suspension arm for one with the sensor bracket)
    - Add wiring from the sensors up to the area behind the glove box.
    - Install the LWS module that controls the leveling (small electronic module goes behind the glove box).
    - Add wiring from the LWS module to the Light Check Control Module (LCM - behind the right kick panel).
    - Add wiring from the LWS to each headlight (4 leads and connector to each light).
    - Have the vehicle software option changed to activate the LWS program and redefine the Check program in the LCM.
    There are various ways to do all this (some aftermarket kits are out there but each seems to have variations and some limitations.)

The BMW leveling program does the following:
    - a calibration run on each start up.
    - Adjusts light height for changes in vehicle load as determined by the suspension sensors. This is normally checked every 30 seconds and minor adjustments done as required.
    - "Immediately and constantly" adjusts the height of the lights during periods of acceleration or braking so as to prevent these movements from affecting the level of the lighting.
    Note - the autoleveling does not correctly aim your headlights. You must first aim them manually according to specks and then the LWS system will keep them at the proper level for the above situations.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

I cant really discern a difference from high to low, so I'm thinking both are spent.
    Definitely makes sense to replace both adjusters while you have the lights open even if one of them is intact. The OEM adjusters get extremely brittle, you will see how fragle the original ones are once you have the lights open.

On another note, one of my angel eye bulbs is dead. Is there a go-to angel eye product, these days? Something plug n play that will dazzle the senses?
    ebay and umnitza should both have plug and play options LED options (no error msgs). There should be several options as far as brightness goes, but even the weakest LED versions should be brighter than the OEM halogen angel eye bulbs. Maybe someone will chime in with a specific ebay example they like.

fyi I think all the LED options are 6000k color temp or higher so if you are running OEM xenon bulbs, the angel eyes will not match the 4300k xenon low beams perfectly, if that matters to you. For a good explanation of the various colors scroll down to Kelvin ratings section here

If you decide you have to have bulbs to match your new LED angel eyes The Retrofit Source is a good place to buy quality bulbs. You can often find genuine bulbs for much less other places, but there are a ton of good knockoffs out there so it can be tough to determine if you are buying a genuine bulb. Retrofit Source sells Phillips, Osram, and Morimoto bulbs. I have not tried them myself, but people seem to really like these Morimoto bulbs and you can get them in a variety of color temps.

On the other hand if you are fine with cheap china bulbs you can find them for way less elsewhere on the internet.

Last edited by Solo12; 05-24-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    E39 2003 530i: SP, CWP, PP, Manual, Sunshades, Split folding rear seats, 17" Style 42s|
    UUC SSK & DSSR, Eibach sway bars, Powerflex bushings, Angel Ibright V3, ZHP illuminated shift knob, e38 Euro Armrest, Dice Media Bridge, spec.dock, OEM Mtech F&R bumpers, Hella Bi-Xenon (EVOX-R)

E28 1987 535is: Manual, Bilstein HDs, 16" Style 5v2 (from e38) [Sold]

My Cars
    are slow
    If your adjusters are done for, ziptie them from the high beam connector until you get the courage to do it for real (I never did). The last thing you want to be is blind at night.
    Last edited by XAlt; 05-24-2017 at 06:12 PM.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Yep. Was gonna zip em up, but I have them out of the car, and the car is immobilized waiting on parts anyway, so . . .

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Ended up heat-gunning them and taking them apart to install the new adjusters. Trying the "ship-in-a-bottle" method through the back proved futile for me. Way too tedious. I have no idea how anybody does that. Kudos to you if you can!

Gotta say, this was a surprisingly gratifying R&R: 95% brand new looking and fully functional OE hella xenon headlights for maybe $20 (sand paper, clear coat and adjusters). Win.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Just installed some $12 eBay-sourced LED angel eye bulbs. Look nice, but when the lights are supposed to be "off", they each alternately flick on and off for a milisecond, like every 20 seconds or so. Kinda like the car is winking at you. WTF?
    Garrett

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    The lights do some strobe thing when you first start the car to check that the light works. Should quite after a while or turn lights on/off and check if it still does it.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    The lights do some strobe thing when you first start the car to check that the light works. Should quite after a while or turn lights on/off and check if it still does it.
    This was long after the initial start-up, and much more intermittent - like every 10-15 sec
    Garrett