Thread: 2008 E92 335i with airbag lights on, now passenger seat will not move at all

My Cars
    None yet :(

2008 E92 335i with airbag lights on, now passenger seat will not move at all

Getting really frustrated with this.

Back in about October of 2016, both airbag lights came on on my dashboard. This causes the top small LCD screen which normally shows temp and time to be constantly blocked out by a larger airbag light. Mildly annoying.

I haven't been able to find much on how to solve this, and the dealer has quoted my about $1,600 to fix, which is ridiculous. I found one tutorial online that suggested removing two cables from the small yellow box under the seat towards the front. I took that apart per the instructions, unplugged the red and brown wire from the back, reassembled, turned my car on and the lights are still present. And now my passenger seat will not move at all. Not even a sound from any of the motors.

Firstly, is there a way to fix or even make the airbag lights disappear? Is that yellow box even related to the SRS module?

Secondly, how can I troubleshoot the seat not moving?

I realize the seat not moving is probably due to myself disassembling that yellow box, but everything went back together just fine, so not sure what the issue is.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by carbineguy View Post
    Getting really frustrated with this.

Back in about October of 2016, both airbag lights came on on my dashboard. This causes the top small LCD screen which normally shows temp and time to be constantly blocked out by a larger airbag light. Mildly annoying.

I haven't been able to find much on how to solve this, and the dealer has quoted my about $1,600 to fix, which is ridiculous. I found one tutorial online that suggested removing two cables from the small yellow box under the seat towards the front. I took that apart per the instructions, unplugged the red and brown wire from the back, reassembled, turned my car on and the lights are still present. And now my passenger seat will not move at all. Not even a sound from any of the motors.

Firstly, is there a way to fix or even make the airbag lights disappear? Is that yellow box even related to the SRS module?

Secondly, how can I troubleshoot the seat not moving?

I realize the seat not moving is probably due to myself disassembling that yellow box, but everything went back together just fine, so not sure what the issue is.
    The red and brown wires are almost certainly the power wires for the seat. Also, unplugging airbag components will never turn out the light. Plugging the red and brown wires back in should get your seat working again.
    As far as diagnosing and fixing the airbag light, you'll need to read out the codes to figure out what's wrong. If you get a K+DCAN cable, PM me and I can give you free download links for the ISTA dealer diagnostic software. You can likely fix the airbag issue inexpensively if you can diagnose it.

My Cars
    None yet :(
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    The red and brown wires are almost certainly the power wires for the seat. Also, unplugging airbag components will never turn out the light. Plugging the red and brown wires back in should get your seat working again.
    As far as diagnosing and fixing the airbag light, you'll need to read out the codes to figure out what's wrong. If you get a K+DCAN cable, PM me and I can give you free download links for the ISTA dealer diagnostic software. You can likely fix the airbag issue inexpensively if you can diagnose it.
    Should've sent you a PM, let me know if you didn't get it.

My Cars
    2008 Acura TL TYPE-S
    https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-recalls.html
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Feb 05,2016

Manufacturer Recall NumberNA
    NHTSA Recall Number16V071
    Recall Status[COLOR=#BF1E2D !important]Recall Incomplete[/COLOR]
    SummaryDRIVER'S FRONT AIR BAG: During air bag deployment in an accident, the driver's front air bag module may produce excessive internal pressure that could cause the inflator to rupture.
    Safety RiskInflator rupture could result in metal fragments striking the driver or other passengers, potentially resulting in serious injury or death.
    RemedyDue to the large volume of new inflators needed to repair vehicles, final owner notification letters will initially be issued by First Class Mail to owners of the highest risk registered vehicles, i.e., oldest models in highest absolute humidity areas (e.g., USA Gulf states). As parts supply increases, all owners of affected vehicles will be notified by First Class mail. When you receive your final letter, you should make an appointment with an authorized BMW center immediately so they can replace the driver's front air bag module. To ensure BMW of North America, LLC has your most recent contact information, please register your vehicle at http://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW
    .Manufacturer's NotesFor additional information or assistance, please contact Customer Relations and Services at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, or at 1-800-525-7417.
    If the manufacturer has failed or is unable to remedy this safety recall for your vehicle in a timely manner,please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at: 1-888-327-4236 or TTY: 1-800-424-9153 or file an online complaint with NHTSA.