RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2011 X5M, NEED HELP. Installing 2 x Pneumatic Wastegate Actuators

My Cars
    BMW X5M 2011

2011 X5M, NEED HELP. Installing 2 x Pneumatic Wastegate Actuators

E70 model, Does anyone know the correct procedure in replacing the 2 wastegate actuators under the drivers side intercooler?

This would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

My Cars
    BMW X5M 2011
    This forum is a joke. Towed... What the hell does that mean, hopeless

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, I have since found out as a "M" enthusiast I called in Australia has sent me the info..

Enjoy your forum guys.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Wow, you buy a 50k car and ask for free advice and mad when you don't get any? How about taking that car to a dealership and letting them work on it, so there is your free advice.

Oh and I wanted to add: You have 4-posts, so what that tells me is you don't want to help anybody else but yourself.
    Last edited by dworthy; 05-24-2017 at 04:59 AM.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    holy cow....what just happened here?

there's days i'm convinced the internet was the worst invention ever in human history....
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330I
    Congrats on finding the procedure and thanks for not posting it or a link to it to help others (sarcasm...idiots have trouble recognizing this sometimes). You come to a forum filled with people who volunteer their time to assist others (and do a damned good job despite your bs impatient response). No one here is paid (especially not by you) to help anyone that comes on here at all hours of the day. Those people also have lives and 0 obligation to jump on this forum just to help you and that's with any free forum not just this one. The folks on here do an awesome job (best I've seen thus far) troubleshooting and pointing people in the right direction for diagnosis and repair. If you have time to diagnose and repair...use a forum. If you need the answer yesterday pay the money to have someone help you right then (dealership or local mechanic). You also have to realize you asked for very specific advice on a vehicle and work that only a handful of people are gonna have knowledge on. Expecting them to log on, read your post, and have the answer readily available in less than half a day....for free....is not only unreasonable, but points to the kind of person you are. We will "enjoy our forum" and will continue to help those who wish to help themselves. Have a fine Navy day.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by Motev8 View Post
    This forum is a joke. Towed... What the hell does that mean, hopeless
    The OP posts a request for an answer to a technical question but does so in a sub-forum not focused on tech issues. Then 2.5 hours later he tries again in the model specific forum. Unpaid moderator moves original/misplaced request to where an answer might be given by a benevolent, unpaid professional tech.

No one responded so he posts a third time, again in a sub-forum that wasn't going to get him answers. Again, the moderator moves his request in hopes he gets an answer.

Keep in mind that the bulk of our membership is based in North America. The combination of the OP posting in the wrong sub-forum in the middle of the night for most of the US, and this is a North America based forum, resulted in what took place.

OP, welcome to Bimmerforums. We are not the joke in this discussion.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    The OP posts a request for an answer to a technical question but does so in a sub-forum not focused on tech issues. Then 2.5 hours later he tries again in the model specific forum. Unpaid moderator moves original/misplaced request to where an answer might be given by a benevolent, unpaid professional tech.

No one responded so he posts a third time, again in a sub-forum that wasn't going to get him answers. Again, the moderator moves his request in hopes he gets an answer.

Keep in mind that the bulk of our membership is based in North America. The combination of the OP posting in the wrong sub-forum in the middle of the night for most of the US, and this is a North America based forum, resulted in what took place.

OP, welcome to Bimmerforums. We are not the joke in this discussion.

Thank you, Mr. Moderator.

You know, I took a close look at this post, this morning as I was getting ready to leave for work. I even looked up those actuators on Alldata.....was going to post the text, from the pro website, as a "copy and paste". But I decided that the pictures were really needed....didn't have time to do the hacking necessary to post pictures from the protected pro website.

I'm glad I didn't go through the trouble. Who wants to help someone who's such a.....

Some people really don't deserve M cars.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I am providing this for anyone else who looks up this information with the search function in future:

2011 BMW X5 M (E70) V8-4.4L Turbo (S63)
    Vehicle » Powertrain Management » Fuel Delivery and Air Induction » Wastegate Actuator » Service and Repair

Service and Repair

11 74 509 Replacing Both Pressure Converters For Turbocharger (S63)

Necessary preliminary tasks:

Partially release auxiliary coolant pump for turbocharger
    Disconnect plug connection on coolant thermostat

x5m wastegate1.jpg

Pressure converter, cylinders 1-4:
    Disconnect plug connection (1) on pressure converter.

Installation note:
    plug connection (1) must snap audibly into place.

Disconnect black vacuum hose at connection (VAC = vacuum reservoir).
    Disconnect black/red vacuum hose at connection (OUT= turbocharger vacuum unit).
    Unscrew nuts (2).
    Tightening torque 11 65 8AZ.
    Remove pressure converter.

x5m wastegate2.jpg

Pressure converter, cylinders 5-8:
    Disconnect plug connection (1) on pressure converter.

Installation note:
    plug connection (1) must snap audibly into place.

Disconnect black vacuum hose at connection (VAC = vacuum reservoir).
    Disconnect black/blue vacuum hose at connection (OUT= turbocharger vacuum unit).
    Unscrew nuts (2).
    Tightening torque 11 65 8AZ.
    Remove pressure converter.

Check activation via BMW diagnosis system.

x5m torque1.gifx5m torque 2.gif
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 05-27-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    BMW Series 3
    A newbie here. Your issue seems very specific, and only people who have knowledge on that knows how to deal with it.