Thread: Well now I've gone and done it..

My Cars
    E31-E36, E70, E46

Well now I've gone and done it..

And the wife isn't even mad. God Bless her! lol.. Maybe some of you saw this auction on Bring A Trailer last week. I'd been nibbling hard on two separate Euro M635s for the past few weeks, lost out on both auctions, both Fridays previous to last..Then this one came up and I was hooked. No way was I going to let it slip through my fingers.

93M5.jpg

Engine3.jpg

Productioin-Plate.jpg

Interior7.jpg

You'll notice the silver cam cover..yes that's right, it's a 3.8

The good news:

3.8l; Nurburgring package equipped '93 M5 JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) imported to Canada in 2009. 167K KMs on the clock. Black Nappa leather, shadowline, heated rear seats, rear window shade, extended leather interior/dash. Very well maintained, very clean still, inside and out.

It's up N of Vancouver BC. Not too much of a drive from Oregon

The Bad news:

I can't "get it" till the end of the year. Then it'll be 25 years old and beyond US Govt Federalization specs. But I'll own her and have free storage till then..

It needs a new headliner. Will have to either go Alcantera or (original) black cloth.

Cannot frigging WAIT But this is going to be excruciating
    Brian A Silverton, OR

'85 Euro 635CSi 5 speed conversion
    '87 L7
    '93 Euro M5 3.8
    '93 740i
    '94 850CSi #31
    '95 540i Msport 6 speed
    '96 M3/4/6 Euro 3.2l
    '03 M3 Cab
    '12 X5 3.5D Tuned

Unofficial 1995 BMW 540i MSport registrar (please see Facebook BMW 1995 BMW540i Msport registry group to join or report a sale)

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    Congratulations!

On the headliner do Alcantara. It will cost a couple hundred bucks more, but you'll never regret it.

My Cars
    M30 E30, 540i6 E34
    Crazy story, Congrats! How long do you have to wait exactly? Look forward to seeing it around!

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by GregT53 View Post
    On the headliner do Alcantara. It will cost a couple hundred bucks more, but you'll never regret it.
    Shouldn't cost any more, unless you need Alcantara brand. This stuff is nice, and cheap! http://yourautotrim.com/headliner-fa...r-foam-backed/
    I would advise against doing the pillars in black suede just based on other cars I've seen where it fades to purple. Can't really comment on the fading of this particular product though. But if you do, they also offer a matching product without the foam backing specifically for pillars.

Congrats on the car, it looks great!

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    Preventing fading is the primary reason to go with Alcantara. There are several ultra suede brands, but as pointed out, fading is a problem. Alcantara is also thicker and it is more pliable, making installation around the compound curves easier. Alcantara comes without foam backing so it has to be added for headliner use. It's actually better to not use a foam backing because it's the foam layer that fails resulting in a sagging headliner. Unfortunately, most headliner shells are not smooth enough to skip the foam, so without it, every little imperfection is magnified in the final product.

My Cars
    E31-E36, E70, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by GregT53 View Post
    Preventing fading is the primary reason to go with Alcantara. There are several ultra suede brands, but as pointed out, fading is a problem. Alcantara is also thicker and it is more pliable, making installation around the compound curves easier. Alcantara comes without foam backing so it has to be added for headliner use. It's actually better to not use a foam backing because it's the foam layer that fails resulting in a sagging headliner. Unfortunately, most headliner shells are not smooth enough to skip the foam, so without it, every little imperfection is magnified in the final product.
    Thanks Greg,

All good points..I'm lucky I have a friend in the interior business I trust with all this. I'm probably going to just stick with OEM, frankly I think that's the best for long term investment on a vehicle that I'm trying to preserve and keep as original. Custom stuff is always cool and all, but it may not be to the next guy

I also will be keeping the car out of the sun almost all of the time, so I'm not too worried about fading. Or is just "age" a concern on that?
    Last edited by MMMEAT; 05-23-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    Brian A Silverton, OR

'87 L7
    '93 Euro M5 3.8
    '93 740i
    '94 850CSi #31
    '95 540i Msport 6 speed
    '96 M3/4/6 Euro 3.2l
    '03 M3 Cab
    '12 X5 3.5D Tuned

Unofficial 1995 BMW 540i MSport registrar (please see Facebook BMW 1995 BMW540i Msport registry group to join or report a sale)

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    Hey Brian,

I wanted to preserve mine and replace the sagging headliner with a new OE part, which by the way at $250 is a bargain. Trouble is that every color is now NLA. So, you get forced into an alternative. In my case with a silver grey interior color it was impossible to match aftermarket. Plus, every headliner sample material I looked at was cheap looking and had a shiny appearance. I bit the bullet and went with very nice medium grey Alcantara. To get everything to match I covered all three pillars, the package shelf, and the headliner. I can't exaggerate how great this looks on these cars. I believe Alcantara was an option on "individual" new car orders back in the day so this is how I justified the wholesale change.

You've got a really nice example headed your way, and I know you can't wait to get behind the wheel! When you own one of these M5s everything you do to improve and maintain it is truly a labor of love. It is expensive, though, so you should start thinking about some nice things for the wife. Jewelry works well!

Greg

My Cars
    E31-E36, E70, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaBMthree View Post
    Crazy story, Congrats! How long do you have to wait exactly? Look forward to seeing it around!
    Well it turns 25 on the 14th of December (terrible time of year for the drive from the middle of Vancouver Island!) so shortly after that, hopefully. We'll see you out on the roads or at a meet sometime, I hope Are you going to 5'ers West this year?

Cheers,

B
    Brian A Silverton, OR

'87 L7
    '93 Euro M5 3.8
    '93 740i
    '94 850CSi #31
    '95 540i Msport 6 speed
    '96 M3/4/6 Euro 3.2l
    '03 M3 Cab
    '12 X5 3.5D Tuned

My Cars
    92 M5
    Well that was you ! Too funny and awesome story. Glad to see that it is an active enthusiast. I posted a couple times during the auction. i have a 92 JDM M5. No EDC or 3.8 bit otherwise all the same options. Mine is Mauritius. Congrats on being the winner and do you still own the GTE ?

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Awesome car, enjoy!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Where on the car is that BMW of Japan plate?

Nice win!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    92 M5
    Brent I have the same plate. It is on the driver's side front fender about half way up.

My Cars
    E31-E36, E70, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith Jason View Post
    Well that was you ! Too funny and awesome story. Glad to see that it is an active enthusiast. I posted a couple times during the auction. i have a 92 JDM M5. No EDC or 3.8 bit otherwise all the same options. Mine is Mauritius. Congrats on being the winner and do you still own the GTE ?
    Haha yes thanks for your support and comments in the auction. Was that you that asked about residing in Oregon? Where are you? Will love to get together at some point

I'm not sure the EDC is an advantage but the car is sure loaded up. It is pretty unusual that the EDC shocks would be rebuilt in the rear but the fronts OK..but we'll see..and at least most likely the cost down the road will be only "half"

Cheers! B
    Brian A Silverton, OR

'87 L7
    '93 Euro M5 3.8
    '93 740i
    '94 850CSi #31
    '95 540i Msport 6 speed
    '96 M3/4/6 Euro 3.2l
    '03 M3 Cab
    '12 X5 3.5D Tuned

My Cars
    94 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMEAT View Post
    I'm not sure the EDC is an advantage but the car is sure loaded up. It is pretty unusual that the EDC shocks would be rebuilt in the rear but the fronts OK..but we'll see..and at least most likely the cost down the road will be only "half"

Cheers! B
    Functioning EDC is really nice. It is odd that the rears failed, unless you don't replace a bad accumulator, it's usually the fronts that wear out first.
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    M30 E30, 540i6 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMEAT View Post
    Well it turns 25 on the 14th of December (terrible time of year for the drive from the middle of Vancouver Island!) so shortly after that, hopefully. We'll see you out on the roads or at a meet sometime, I hope Are you going to 5'ers West this year?

Cheers,

B
    Ha! Yes last time I was in Victoria it was December and snowing. Should most definitely be at 5er this year, went to the show last year but missed the drive due to a bad tire.

My Cars
    1990's BMW dealership
    Totally sweet ride and that was a helluva an auction! Glad you won it Baust!!!