Thread: E46 330ci manual, what holds the bottom of the radiator in place?

My Cars
    2003 330ci

E46 330ci manual, what holds the bottom of the radiator in place?

Hi, my radiator has a lot of movement and this can't be normal, I think I'm missing a piece that holds it in place at the bottom.

At the top left (looking towards the engine) I have a 25torx bolt that secures the aux fan and radiator in place. The aux fan seems to slot into slots and stay put which I believe is normal. Now, if I push the bottom of the radiator towards the engine there is a lot of movement, and if the aux fan isn't in place, the radiator will pretty much come in contact with the belts and pulleys. I'm assuming this isn't normal and I'm missing some clips or something.

Can anyone explain what holds it in place, or better yet, post photos so i can find and buy the part?

Thanks in advance,
    Penis,
    Rob.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I have been wracking my brain trying to remember what held the radiator in, but I do know that it isn't at the bottom, but about 3/4 way down is an attachment piece on the sides. Most of the time I see these radiator start to droop at the bottom, and can cause the fan shroud to get loose. In the support cross bar, should be two plastic screws, that is what pushes the radiator down into place, just make sure those two are tight.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    Worthy's memory is correct - the radiator has a couple of tabs about 2/3 of the way down the header tanks that drop into corresponding brackets and gaskets in the front body crossmember. When putting in the radiator, it's easy to not get them engaged correctly and think everything's fine - until you notice the radiator wiggling around. As he mentions, there are two funny-looking lock screws that go down through the top of the crossmember that hold the brackets in place.

If you're not familiar with realoem.com, you need to be. Here's a link to the relevant exploded diagram.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0145

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    Ok thanks guys, I understand how it works now and it looks like I'm probably not missing any pieces which is nice! I imagine that it's not slotted in properly although I am out of the country for a couple of weeks and can't confirm. I do remember that part 5 on the diagram wasn't connected to the bottom of the radiator. It was there but too low and not supporting anything.

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    Part 5 is a rubber seal that clips into the bottom frame of the radiator - it is non-structural.