Thread: "Engine Malfunction", just bought 2008 335xi

My Cars
    335i E93 N54

"Engine Malfunction", just bought 2008 335xi

Hello,

Thanks for any and all feedback on this.
    Trying to address quickly.

I did a search for this phrase prior to posting.
    I got some info, but want your I sights as well.

I just bought a 2008 335xi coupe.
    I enjoy it greatly.
    I know there are quirks with this generation, most of which appear to be addressed already per BMW dealer.

Twice now, this car has displayed "Engine Malfunction". The turbo would seem to disengage and further power is reduced also.

Sitting (possibly due to cooling) and starting it up 30 mins or more and the message is gone.

When I run obd2 scan (sorry, only tried after message was gone), there is no history of anything.

Second symptom (from same or different fault), is when, at low rpm (auto, but gear manually selected), under heavy gass, the car has mini kicks. Reminiscent of when my 328 needed cool packs changed. (Still no eco codes though).

So, I'm trying to determine if coil packs need changing, and if so, which one.

As well, trying to figure out if turbo overheating and causing the Engine Malfunction indication. And self resolving after cooling.

Could turbo overheating cause this warning?

Is this separate from the kicking caused. Y possible faulty coil pack?

Which fault would remain in ECU, even after problem clears?

Kind thanks!!!

Edit: 178,000 km. Turbo original.
    Last edited by Codes2; 05-22-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Missing info

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I had similar issues in the 08' 135i. The engine malfunction could be associated with the oil cooler system; there is a slight fault with them and you may need to have someone look at it; as the system cracked in mine and needed replacing (under dealer warranty though). The 'kicks' that you describe definitely sound like the coils; I would try to get the codes read somewhere as there have to be stored codes.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Thanks Pelican.

So, more likely oil cooler than actual turbos then? I'll have garage look at it tomorrow.

As for the kicking, my obd2 reader doesn't show anything.
    Model: Innova 3100g
    It has the ability to show Pending, Freeze Frame and Permanent.

If I recall correctly, my 2010 328xi codes indicated which coil pack. However, when they went, they died fast, not just under certain conditions.

I heard that an issue must persist for something like 1 to 3 seconds before it will store... is there truth to that?

Thanks again!!! And thanks for the welcome!

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Obd readers are all but useless with BMWs. You need a scan done with a bmw specific scan tool.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Well, the dealer where I bought it is still trying to address the car going into Limp Mode (Engine Malfunction).
    They have changed all coil packs, plugs and 1 Vanos solenoid.
    They have now sent in to a BMW Dealer to have it checked over.
    At least the used car dealer is trying to correct the issue.
    In my defense, the issues started on my drive home from the lot...

Hoping that with all this work, the car will need less repairs by me down the road!!

My Cars
    2010 528i xdrive
    I just bought a 2010 528i x on Saturday and Monday the car shut off in the middle of a busy intersection took like 10 MIN before coming back on and displayed the engine malfunction reduced power code. The code reset when I turned the car off and back on but I see people having same issue

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Bring that thing back quick.
    That fully falls under 'safety', and is covered at their expense.

My Cars
    BMW 135i
    When my car did the kick thing the dealership initially swapped coils around, and told me to drive until it happened again. It did, same holes misfired, turned out I needed my intake valves and ports "walnut shelled", after that I had extra power and no more issues!

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    we have same issue with all cars with direct injection carbon build up so bad and it took us hours to clean it, but recently we start using a brand new product that recently released in the U.S. market it's german made for the carbon build up on the valves without the mess of the walnut shell and without taking the intake manifold out and job was done in 2 hours with great results its called carbon x from German company bluechem you can find the product on there local website GoAutoProfi.com and it cost us shipped less than $90 and it did 2 cars, that a life saver product...

My Cars
    2008 335i convertible,
    interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by samsports View Post
    we have same issue with all cars with direct injection carbon build up so bad and it took us hours to clean it, but recently we start using a brand new product that recently released in the U.S. market it's german made for the carbon build up on the valves without the mess of the walnut shell and without taking the intake manifold out and job was done in 2 hours with great results its called carbon x from German company bluechem you can find the product on there local website GoAutoProfi.com and it cost us shipped less than $90 and it did 2 cars, that a life saver product...