Thread: "TRANS PROGRAM" error, but gearbox is fine...

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i

"TRANS PROGRAM" error, but gearbox is fine...

Ok, so I've had my E34 for a while and I'm finding things everyday I work on it. So, I've been looking and many forums and I can't find fix for the trans program error. I can use all the gears, even the 4th overdrive on the interstate so I'm pretty much stuck.

Is there anyway to clear the messages without a OBDI scanner? I've tried stomp test, but my stupid teenager brain can't understand the flashes on the CEL.

Also, one more question, the gear selection and mode display stays on when it's on the electric, but goes off when I turn the engine on. (a sport mode would be cool, but it's stuck in economy)

Also, I still haven't figured out the random heat from where my legs are, a friend said pull the fuse for the heater core so I don't know.

Thanks!

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Heat on your legs regardless of heat selector position is due to faulty heater valves. This:
    https://www.bavauto.com/catalog/prod...tCQaAtOY8P8HAQ

Trans program message can be a factor of a couple things. Most importantly, battery voltage. These cars like to have a good battery to operate correctly. Make sure its charged and try again. Better yet, take it somewhere to have it tested. Second, check the large barrel connector at the transmission for fluid and cleanliness. Make sure its dry and clean.

The stomp test will only recall codes for the engine/DME. If you dont have a check engine light currently on, then its just recalling previous codes. I wouldnt worry about it if the light isnt currently on when driving. For the stomp test, all the codes are four digit and start with 1. So it will flash a quick 1, then pause, then say 2 quick flashes, pause, 1, pause, 2. That means code 1212. There is a longer break between codes. If it repeats, then thats all the codes you have. Only way to clear the codes without proper diag software is by disconnecting the battery for a bit to do a hard reset.
    -Alex

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    The stomp test only works on the engine, not the transmission. And you don't need a scanner to clear the 'trans prog' message. If you fix the fault, it will go away. But what normally happens when you get that message is that the cluster indicators are switched off (e.g. DA disappears) and you are stuck in one high forward gear. If that is not happening and your trans shifts up normally 1-4 and down again, you may just have a cluster fault. Maybe confirm which is the case?

My Cars
    some
    Definitely check the battery. Last night when my car was playing up I got the trans program error. At first I was really worried, then I remembered with aussie ford falcons, if the battery is low the transmission will go into limp home mode and make it seem like you have a transmission fault. It happened to me in my falcon even though the car started and ran, it just gets activated when the volts drop too low during cranking.

Anyway, after putting a temporary good battery in the BMW, the trans program error disappeared/cleared itself.

My Cars
    1995,bmw,540i,4door
    Hi how are you? im still new to the forum even though i joined a while back. i have a 1995 bmw 540i. it has been parked up for a while since i started university. my brother gave me a new buick lacrosse yeah me. but i need my speed demon back.

the 540i was my 1st car since 15 im 24 now. i have the same problem with the trans program. it popped up a bout 2 years ago out of nowhere and will go into limp mode and stuck in third gear to limp home to protect it from damaging anything.
    ive always felt i knew what was wrong with the car but i was too lazy to have it checked and too broke. now i have a part time job on campus and been saving my money and soon plan to get my car back on the road.
    long story short my altenator is bad and it needs replacing. i have a new battery so i know it is not the battery. i will buy a new alternator soon and put it in and let you guys know if that fixed the problem which i feel it should.and yes i checked the alternator it is no good.. everything on these cars run from the computer which means voltage is mesured for everything.

either way i have a lot of goodies coming up soon with my build so stay tuned and hoperully yours is just the battery or something.
    also i have another problem with mines the electronics stopped working on the driver side like the side mirrors and the seat and steering wheel will not adjust, might anyone know why and how to fix this????? and might it just be becouse the alternator??? i doubt it would be becouse the alternator but who knows ill have to change it out and see. thanks guys.
    Last edited by infamousbmw19; 07-28-2017 at 01:36 PM.