RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 1983 320is hazard not working

My Cars
    1983 BNW 320is

1983 320is hazard not working

History: This car sat for over 10 years. Last year we got it and now have everything right on the car but the gas gauge and the hazard lights.
    The gas tank was cleaned and lines flushed. The fuel distributor and injectors were replaced. Now it runs great.
    No electrical work was required to get it running but we did rotate the fuses to get the lights all working. Replaced the fuse for the gauges as the old sending unit would cause it to blow when the sending unit was plugged in.
    When we got the car the hazard switch was jammed in with a tooth pick. We replaced the switch.
    On the gas gauge we replaced the sending unit in the tank. There was so much gunk in the tank the old one could not be salvaged.

Now when the hazard switch is activated the light in the switch comes on but the lights do not flash. Is there a flasher unit that may have been removed? What are other possibilities?

We just found out the gas gauge does not work. So no questions on this as yet. Suggestions are welcome.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Well do the regular blinker work? When you push in the flashers, do they just come on and stay on, or remain off?

The blinker relay is 2 parts, one for the normal blinkers and the other side for the flashers. Have you pulled the relay out and opened it up to see if it is jammed or gunked up? IIRC you should find it under the plastic cover on the steering column.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1983 BNW 320is
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

Well do the regular blinker work? When you push in the flashers, do they just come on and stay on, or remain off?

The blinker relay is 2 parts, one for the normal blinkers and the other side for the flashers. Have you pulled the relay out and opened it up to see if it is jammed or gunked up? IIRC you should find it under the plastic cover on the steering column.
    I will have to check all of that but it will be a day or 2 as we are suppose to work on the corn planter tomorrow.

My Cars
    1983 BNW 320is

Hazard reply

Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

So when the button is in the turn signals work. When the hazard sw is relese the light in it blinks once and then neither the hazrd or turn signals blink and no lights are lit.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    This would point to the relay then IMO. On the older cars, you can take them apart and clean the contacts inside. I would start there before throwing a new relay at it.

Something that might help you out: http://www.jtresto.com/e21/ETM_1981-1983.pdf
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1983 BNW 320is

Fixed it was connection at the fuse. Voltage was good until load was applied.

Quote Originally Posted by bk320i View Post
    History: This car sat for over 10 years. Last year we got it and now have everything right on the car but the gas gauge and the hazard lights.
    The gas tank was cleaned and lines flushed. The fuel distributor and injectors were replaced. Now it runs great.
    No electrical work was required to get it running but we did rotate the fuses to get the lights all working. Replaced the fuse for the gauges as the old sending unit would cause it to blow when the sending unit was plugged in.
    When we got the car the hazard switch was jammed in with a tooth pick. We replaced the switch.
    On the gas gauge we replaced the sending unit in the tank. There was so much gunk in the tank the old one could not be salvaged.

Now when the hazard switch is activated the light in the switch comes on but the lights do not flash. Is there a flasher unit that may have been removed? What are other possibilities?

We just found out the gas gauge does not work. So no questions on this as yet. Suggestions are welcome.
    When measuring the voltage we used a meter. After some time I wanted to do a quick check and used a test light, no light. Found out that the voltage from the fuse would drop under load.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yeah, those bullet style fuses can cause problems as well, that is why in the 80's BMW switched to the bladed fuses. The ends of the bullet style likes to get corroded, and sometimes the flex gets weak.

But thank-you for coming back and closing out the thread!
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member