Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: questions about using Klima-Cleaner and Klima-Cleaner ETU

My Cars
    Black

questions about using Klima-Cleaner and Klima-Cleaner ETU

My concubine's car has developed a mold smell. Reviewing some threads here led me to a link for 1Z Einszett ETU at Autogeek. Clicking the link took me to a referred page for a new version of the product, Nextzett Kilma-Cleaner. Leaving aside the reasons most companies introduce a "new and improved" version of any product (generally, it means "we cheapened the formula and raised the price"), after intense research (I read the marketing pitch a few times) I became quickly convinced I should buy the product (I'm tired of looking and want to go take a nap).

I have a few questions though.

First, I see that the ad copy-writers either have a mild subset of schizophrenia, or perhaps they hate their customers:

Klima-Cleaner's active foam works by 'scrubbing' the evaporator core, thereby reducing the opportunity for odors to reappear. Simply insert the included spray hose into the center air vents in your vehicle's interior and spray. Allow to work for 30 minutes
    Unlike the first formulate of Klima-Cleaner, Nextzett Klima-Cleaner is NOT to be applied through your car's air vents. The application method will require you to disassemble interior trim and is recommended for advanced users only. Read the instructions on the bottle completely before application.

Do I spray the stuff down the center vent, or will I be pulling apart the dash to take out the cabin filter and get at the evaporator coil?

Also, at the bottom of the page I see that the original product I was looking for, 1Z Einszett ETU, is still available. Its now apparently available in the form of a broadcast bomb, like a Raid Fumigating fogger but for people with sour interiors. I approve of this idea because it requires very little work.

Has anyone used this product in this form? Should I apply it along with the Nextzett, or should I do Nextzett first and see how it works out? I'd appreciate any advice anyone could give towards the proper approach for maximum benefit.

Finally, do these products really kill/disinfect or are they simply "spray pretty"? I'd prefer that the source problem gets killed rather than having her get dosed with nasal anesthetic garbage like Febreeze.
    Last edited by Chuck; 05-20-2017 at 10:12 AM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Do I spray the stuff down the center vent, or will I be pulling apart the dash to take out the cabin filter and get at the evaporator coil?
    Depends entirely on the vehicle. You didn't tell us so those that might know can't answer.

Also, at the bottom of the page I see that the original product I was looking for, 1Z Einszett ETU, is still available. Its now apparently available in the form of a broadcast bomb, like a Raid Fumigating fogger but for people with sour interiors. I approve of this idea because it requires very little work.
    A bomb isn't going to get to the source of the odors (your evaporator coil).

Finally, do these products really kill/disinfect or are they simply "spray pretty"? I'd prefer that the source problem gets killed rather than having her get dosed with nasal anesthetic garbage like Febreeze.
    Maybe, maybe not. Again, depends on the vehicle. Try to get a small piece of hose into your center vent and see if it reaches the coil. You may not know for sure but this will give you a good idea.

I sprayed some scrubbing bubbles disinfectant into the air intake of my 530i. It did work but now my fan is squeaking so I don't suggest you go that route. If the center vent gives you unobstructed access to the evaporator then that is your best course of action.