Thread: Weird no start issue

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is

Weird no start issue

My 318 has started and run fine last month, and I haven't started or driven it since then. Today I tried to start it and there's this loud noise (sounds like a bang or pop) and the motor violently shakes (never did that before) I took a video of it. It sounds and feels like the motor is getting stuck on something. Can anyone help me? Thankshttps://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/591f3d25...519_144323.mp4

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by InfectedKetchup; 05-19-2017 at 03:23 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    It backfired. Check that the battery is charged. You can pull all the spark plugs to check them. While they are out use a good flashlight and look down into the cylinders to see if their is any fluid in the cylinder. Your very low on gas, put a few gallons of premium in there. You can also test the fuel pump to make sure it runs, could be as simple as a dead fuel pump.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    It backfired. Check that the battery is charged. You can pull all the spark plugs to check them. While they are out use a good flashlight and look down into the cylinders to see if their is any fluid in the cylinder. Your very low on gas, put a few gallons of premium in there. You can also test the fuel pump to make sure it runs, could be as simple as a dead fuel pump.
    I refilled the gas to full tank, the gauge is very off and I haven't got around to fixing it. I'll check the cylinders tommorow and I'll go from there

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is
    I fixed it today, here's what happened and what I did.

I was reading online that if a car runs for a little bit, and if you turn it off without letting it warm up, it's possible for it too flood a little bit, causing a no start. I remember last time I started/drove it was me putting it back in the garage, it ran for less than a minute.
    I fixed the car by pulling the spark plugs and ignition coils, removing the fuel pump fuse and relay, putting a little bit of oil in the spark plug holes (since the fuel flooding probably washed away some oil) than cranked the car a few times. After that, I reinstalled the spark plugs and ignition coils and cranked it a few more times. Than I finally reinstalled the fuel pump fuse and relay, and the car started! Than I drove it a bit (to warm it up and burn off some of the oil from the cylinders) and it's all good now.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Glad you got it going!

What is the issue with the gas gauge?? Describe what it's doing.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is
    Glad you got it going!

What is the issue with the gas gauge?? Describe what it's doing.
    It's been stuck at quarter tank since I bought it, after that I refilled the gas and it's still at quarter tank. I'm thinking maybe the sending unit is stuck possibly??

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Not sure if you car has one or two sending units, but it probably has to be replaced. Not sure what the testing procedure is, but you can measure the resistance at the connector of one or both sending units, but it depends on what the fuel level is for that half of the tank. But I guess if one measures either zero or max resistance then it's going to be bad. Do some research

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is
    Not sure if you car has one or two sending units, but it probably has to be replaced. Not sure what the testing procedure is, but you can measure the resistance at the connector of one or both sending units, but it depends on what the fuel level is for that half of the tank. But I guess if one measures either zero or max resistance then it's going to be bad. Do some research
    Thanks, I'll definitely look into it