Thread: Oldest version of INPA? / 16-bit version

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab

Oldest version of INPA? / 16-bit version

Lately I've been doing some digging into Inpa and its file structure and found a couple of interesting E36 SMG related .ipo files, that are not called up in any of the INPA versions floating around on the web/ebay. Which are all 32-bit

Thankfully the easy file structure which can be editted with a simple text editor, have resulted in some custom menu's where I can call up these SMG test, which are, very helpfull. Things previously only possible through DIS, can now be done through INPA.

This made me wonder, it means there are very old versions of (16-bit) INPA, from the time the E36 rolled off the line and must have had a menu structure with these options.

Does anyone know of such an old version being available to the public?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    It has nothing to do with the INPA version, and everything to do with the .ipo files. I edited some .ipo source files and recompiled them back into working .ipo. With some programming skill you can add new menus and functions. The .ipo files just call Tool32 functions. So if you know the Tool32 function, you can do anything in INPA that DIS and ISTA does.
    I've been mostly playing with translations.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Lately I've been doing some digging into Inpa and its file structure and found a couple of interesting E36 SMG related .ipo files, that are not called up in any of the INPA versions floating around on the web/ebay. Which are all 32-bit

Thankfully the easy file structure which can be editted with a simple text editor, have resulted in some custom menu's where I can call up these SMG test, which are, very helpfull. Things previously only possible through DIS, can now be done through INPA.

This made me wonder, it means there are very old versions of (16-bit) INPA, from the time the E36 rolled off the line and must have had a menu structure with these options.

Does anyone know of such an old version being available to the public?
    INPA 4.4.7 is 16-bit, 5.0.1 and later are 32-bit.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Ha yes, I just saw a reference in the Sonder.ger /.eng where it says so.

@328: what I meant is that none of the Inpa version floating around, have these smg(1) specific tests in their menu's from stock, as they are replaced with the smg2 scripts.

So I'm just curious about an older version of Inpa when the E36 (M3) was still in production, and the Inpa they used then, when the smg(1) tests were applicable.

I've decompiled some .ipo files with Bestdis to make them readable, but I read this is still high level code. I'm not a programmer, so I'm limited in customizing scripts.

I want the 4.4.7 version to not go fullscreen, like the 5.x.x versions.

IG:

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I understand. What is the name of the .ipo file you are currently using, and what version is it?

I have quite a bunch of files, old and new.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I have all .ipo, .prg en .ips files of numerous versions on INPA/EDIABS/NCS Expert, so the files are not the problem.

Oh p.s. when I said decompiled an .ipo, I mean .prg. BestDIS can't decompile .ipo files.

On the s_smg_na.ipo screen in inpa, I noticed that 1 test is always already preselected. (the compare adaption values). I'd like to alter this so the default is deselected, like the other tests.

I guess all *smg* related ipo and ips files eventually end at the SMG.PRG file, as there is only one SMG module/ECU and because of that, one in EDIBAS/ECU.

IG:

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    If you truly have .ips files, those are decompiled .ipo files (they are basically processed .src source SGDAT files, with language and version setting). Those you can open with notepad++ and change the programming as needed. You can add menus and change text, etc.

I could get them compiled back to .ipo for you, if you need.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Sorry, no .ips files. I've read so much, I mixed things up. I meant .Grp files.

Now looking for DecodeIpo to decompile .ipo files.

IG:

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Decode.ipo only provides a precis of the actual .ipo file, which is actually far more detailed. You can get a look at the actual content of an .ipo file by opening it with WinMerge. Be careful when working with diffierent versions of INPa as the later 32 bit versions use a different version of EDIABAS. FAL provided one of the most comprehensive descriptions of the structure of INPA that I have ever seen on this forum and I consider his knowledge in this area to be second to none.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Decode.ipo only provides a precis of the actual .ipo file, which is actually far more detailed. You can get a look at the actual content of an .ipo file by opening it with WinMerge. Be careful when working with diffierent versions of INPa as the later 32 bit versions use a different version of EDIABAS. FAL provided one of the most comprehensive descriptions of the structure of INPA that I have ever seen on this forum and I consider his knowledge in this area to be second to none.
    Do you have either program?

I have a couple separate Inpa/Ediabas/NCS installs, but it seems Ediabas 6.x.x works fine with any Inpa/NCS version I use.

Not sure if all files from ECU and Sgdat from Inpa all work on any versions. I made folders with accumulated files of different versions.

But I only tested on a few cars. Mainly my own E36's.

IG:

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Just found WinMerge...

IG:

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    That is because FAL most likely works for BMW.

Looking through some of his posts on other forums, the avatar pic of an Omitec cable (only really available to BMW development), access to the software and knowledge base... and still fairly reserved about revealing too much, or leaking major information or software (probably trying to keep his job safe). I may be wrong, but it's highly likely.

I doubt the devs at BMW decompile .ipo files for modifications (even if he mentioned decompile ipo), as they build/compile the new .ipo from their .ips and .src files (using XBD Generator). All the .ips and .src are uploaded to the central database as a team effort, and kept up with updates in a very well organized fashion.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    While we can't know for sure, I also had the feeling FAL must be related to BMW/Inpa somehow, some way. Maybe even working for Softing.

IG:

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    FAL provided one of the most comprehensive descriptions of the structure of INPA that I have ever seen on this forum and I consider his knowledge in this area to be second to none.
    Thank you for your kind words David, but I can't consider myself to be anything more than an enthusiast. Like yourself, I'm simply trying to help the community, when and where I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    That is because FAL most likely works for BMW. Looking through some of his posts on other forums, the avatar pic of an Omitec cable (only really available to BMW development), access to the software and knowledge base... and still fairly reserved about revealing too much, or leaking major information or software (probably trying to keep his job safe). I may be wrong, but it's highly likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    While we can't know for sure, I also had the feeling FAL must be related to BMW/Inpa somehow, some way. Maybe even working for Softing.
    I'm sorry to disappoint you two gentlemen, but I do not and never have, worked for either BMW Group or any of its diagnostics partners. I actually work for A***n M****n, where the tools are either Volvo VBF-based (a remnant of Ford Premier Automotive Group ownership), Mercedes-Benz ASAM/ISO ODX-based or proprietary. Certainly, skills based upon the behaviour of computers, vehicle networks and control units, are transferable between manufacturers. However, the way there diagnostic systems work is not, including ASAM/ISO ODX-based E-Sys. I'm not reserved about revealing too much, it's just the simple fact that i don't have all the answers, to all of the questions. If you have a problem that you want help with, feel free to ask!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Ha FAL, nice to see you reply. Had no idea you were still around here.

From INPA customized screens of you, I thought you must be a BMW employee or related in some way or form.

Still curious what the blurred out stuff is. Some specific lines are blurred. But of course if you would tell, you wouldn't need to blurr in the first place.

IG: