Thread: e36 RTAB preloading question!

My Cars
    1996 bmw 328is turbo

e36 RTAB preloading NEW method??

Hello all,
    I have just taken my rear subframe off to replace the bushings/weld in subframe reinforcements. I decided to go with stock trailing arm bushings instead of poly. I have read numerous threads about how to preload the rtab with the bmw tool or by making your own tool, but I think i found an easier (or different) way to do this. Would it work to simply install the traling arm on the car leaving the bolt that goes through the carrier somewhat loose so that once the car is lowered down it will move to a position with the least amount of preload. After that simply jack the car back up, drop the trailing arm and finish tightening the carrier bolt as now it will be in the correct position with zero preload. Would like to hear your thoughts on this method!
    Last edited by Willmartens; 05-18-2017 at 05:41 PM.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    I like the way you are thinking, but unfortunately it won't work. The console on the trailing arm fits up into the pocket in front of the rear wheel well. There's no way to access the affected bolt while inside the pocket and leaving it loose will allow the alignment angle to change once the car is lowered and again when you remove the trailing arm to tighten the console bracket. I sweated over this detail when going with rubber bushings myself. Based on advice here, I used a simple straight edge (aluminum angle iron from Lowes) and aligned it per the Bentley. So far it looks good and I don't perceive any ill-effects from improper preload.

My Cars
    1996 bmw 328is turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    I like the way you are thinking, but unfortunately it won't work. The console on the trailing arm fits up into the pocket in front of the rear wheel well. There's no way to access the affected bolt while inside the pocket and leaving it loose will allow the alignment angle to change once the car is lowered and again when you remove the trailing arm to tighten the console bracket. I sweated over this detail when going with rubber bushings myself. Based on advice here, I used a simple straight edge (aluminum angle iron from Lowes) and aligned it per the Bentley. So far it looks good and I don't perceive any ill-effects from improper preload.
    Ah I see. Do you happen to know the measurements for a car that's lowered? I have hr race springs.