Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else besides Motion Motorsport sell their under panel?

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4

Does anyone else besides Motion Motorsport sell their under panel?

Like the title states, does anyone else besides Motion Motorsport sell their under panel? Asking for a couple of reasons.

1 - Sometimes products can be found cheaper when not purchased from the manufacturer.
    2 - And most importantly, I'd like to keep my business with the companies I already purchase from. It makes tracking past orders easier and it's nice to keep giving to those that have continued to help me out in the past.Thanks in advance!

I believe Vorshlag did at one point but I don't see it on their website currently.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I've never seen it anywhere else. I bought mine direct from MM. Was actually the first thing I did to my M3.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    E36, E46
    What's wrong with giving business to Motion Motorsport? They are a supporting vendor here.
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
    What's wrong with giving business to Motion Motorsport? They are a supporting vendor here.
    Agreed. Very odd request and reasoning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaggafeen View Post
    i made my own and it fits better than the MM version. very easy to remove and refit all bolts up from underneath. made from 4mm thick aluuminium and all stainless steel fittings.

Chamfer the holes and use countersunk bolts. Yours also lacks frame rail rear support, so it's only as good at the JTD panel IMO.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Nothing at all. See reason 2. Just ease of tracking is it really. Not a big deal in the end.

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    I was looking into SSI under panel http://www.bimmerworld.com/Body-Aero...-3-Series.html
    m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub

modernbeat is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Caged
    Motion Motorsports frequently runs out of their parts, and occasionally take some time to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    ...I believe Vorshlag did at one point but I don't see it on their website currently.
    We did. Because of the difficulty we had getting undertrays, we ordered a few at a time and kept them in stock to make it easier for us (mainly) and our customers to have access to them. We use them on all our E36 builds that aren't getting big-aero. But, we've been out of stock of them for some time and haven't ordered more. So we turned them off on the website.
    Jason McDaniel at Vorshlag

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by verobeach97 View Post
    I emailed MM and never received a response so I ordered the SSI panel. I am very happy with the purchase and it was very easy to install.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    I pulled the trigger and ordered one from MM themselves.

Does anyone know about how long it takes for the item to ship?

edit: And just after posting this I get an email saying it shipped. ok then!
    Last edited by LockDots; 05-25-2017 at 06:09 AM.

modernbeat is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Caged
    Good. I'm glad to see that they are still on top of business.
    Jason McDaniel at Vorshlag

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah, that's good. They're a very small business, so sometimes life gets in the way. That said, I recall having very good support experiences with them. I emailed them a while back about mounting hardware specs/sizes for replacements and they responded immediately.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I placed an order for another MM panel as well. Hopefully it ships just as quickly.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    I placed an order for another MM panel as well. Hopefully it ships just as quickly.
    Looks like the part that takes the longest is the UPS store they drop them off at. It sat there since Friday and it's left their location just earlier today. Slated for delivery this Wednesday though, which puts it at about a week for delivery. Not bad at all.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Got it in today. A week and a day. Not bad at all considering we had a holiday weekend. Probably also helps that they ship from MA and I'm in NY.

Great quality stuff. Can't wait to install it.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Installation is pretty easy, and gets easier the higher you can get your car in the air. Just make sure that your brake inlets and fender liner plastic bits are in the correct position before you drill, and when you do drill make sure you drill straight or you'll have difficulty lining the holes up afterwards.

Your mileage also may vary with the plastic inserts that go into the frame rail to mount the brackets. Mine tended to be loose and eventually fall out, so I ended up ordering some similar BMW inserts and epoxied the suckers in there.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Installation is pretty easy, and gets easier the higher you can get your car in the air. Just make sure that your brake inlets and fender liner plastic bits are in the correct position before you drill, and when you do drill make sure you drill straight or you'll have difficulty lining the holes up afterwards.

Your mileage also may vary with the plastic inserts that go into the frame rail to mount the brackets. Mine tended to be loose and eventually fall out, so I ended up ordering some similar BMW inserts and epoxied the suckers in there.
    Good to know, thanks! I actually have a new set of OE fender liners and brake ducts ready to go in as well. I'll make sure to install those first.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    The hardware they provide is SHIT. I advise you to make your own mounting and buy your own hardware. Use fresh BMW body nuts on the frame rails for the rear panel brackets, do not use theirs.

For my installation I drill and aluminum nutsert (rivnut) the bumper. On the panel I chamfer the holes and use countersunk stainless allen bolts. I can have the panel off in minutes and I'm not using that awful carriage bolt hook setup they provide with studs hanging down.

I'll have a full write-up soon as I get the new panel.

You can make out the countersunk ss bolts here.

If you want to start prepping to rivnut your bumper, go pick up this kit; https://www.harborfreight.com/45-pie...-kit-1210.html
    Last edited by Braymond141; 06-01-2017 at 02:41 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    The only part of their hardware I ever had an issue with was the plastic frame rail inserts breaking or falling out. The rest of the hardware is holding fine. That said, I'm interested in your writeup since countersunk bolts would look nicer and possibly be quicker to remove/replace.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    By "countersunk stainless allen bolts" are you using flat-head bolts/screws? Like this?

If so what size, like a M4 or M6?

If I have this right you've installed aluminum rivent nuts into the plastic bottom of the bumper and then are driving the flat heads through the MM panel into the rivent nuts? And you've countersunk the MM panel holes for the flat-heads.

Looking forward to that write-up!

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    The hardware they provide is SHIT. I advise you to make your own mounting and buy your own hardware. Use fresh BMW body nuts on the frame rails for the rear panel brackets, do not use theirs.

For my installation I drill and aluminum nutsert (rivnut) the bumper. On the panel I chamfer the holes and use countersunk stainless allen bolts. I can have the panel off in minutes and I'm not using that awful carriage bolt hook setup they provide with studs hanging down.

I'll have a full write-up soon as I get the new panel.
    sub'd

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by M52 POWER! View Post
    By "countersunk stainless allen bolts" are you using flat-head bolts/screws? Like this?

If so what size, like a M4 or M6?

If I have this right you've installed aluminum rivent nuts into the plastic bottom of the bumper and then are driving the flat heads through the MM panel into the rivent nuts? And you've countersunk the MM panel holes for the flat-heads.

Looking forward to that write-up!
    That's what I'm getting out of it also. Not sure how strong a rivnut would be in plastic as opposed to the somewhat clumsy carriage bolts setup they supply.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Well I'm mounting a GT tray off my rivnut method... so it better hold

You can use steel rivnuts and I think you can use a wide fender washer in the squeeze of the rivnut into the bumper plastic... essentially matching the surface area the MM setup uses. I actually planned to mess with doing this once the panel gets here. Bolt sizes have not been selected for this panel yet. The one I already did is using standard size... can't recall the size.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 06-01-2017 at 06:19 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Looks good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39
    getting ready to install my MM panel. Shipping on mine took a little longer than I had hoped but was happy to support a bf.c vendor

thanks for the write up Braymond141 - I have my bumper and off and the lip off the bumper now. Wanted to get the ABS Schnitzer knock-off lip and use that instead of the BMW OE lip. A bit concerned now after reading a few posts about the lips not lining up properly with the panel
    Last edited by persiandude; 07-18-2017 at 04:52 PM.

[SIZE="1"]1997 M3/4/5 18x8.5 Hartge Classics, F1 Stage 2 Clutch Kit
    :one This Year :: Koni inserts, HR Sport, Rogue RSM, Ball Joints, Powerflex LCAB, Adjustable Sway Links (DIY), Headliner, MM Underpanel, 3 spoke wheel swap, BavSound Speakers, Bluetooth radio adapter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast