Thread: When to use PPI?

My Cars
    2010 Maxima, 2016 Pilot

When to use PPI?

Hello everyone...I've been wanting to have a Z4 for quite sometime. I would prefer a hard top but found this:

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i
    30K miles
    $15K
    Top looks new
    paint looks fantastic aside from minor scratches
    drives nice
    kept in garage
    Interior looks well taken cared off
    2 owners

I asked the owner if he would be OK doing pre-purchase inspection and I will pay for it. It will require for him to drop it off and would take about 3 hrs for dealer to inspect and test drive. He said if it was only 30 min, he'd do it. But 3 hrs is too long and not worth his time.

Although it looks nice and drives nice, I don't know much about cars aside knowing how to drive it. It's a 10 year old car too and with AZ heat, I just don't know what could be wrong with the car and how much $ it will cost me after purchase.

So the question is...should I take the chance based on the info provided above or insist on PPI and pass on it if he doesn't want to do it?

My Cars
    z3
    Thats ridiculous. If he wont let you do a thorough PPI then walk away

My Cars
    2010 Maxima, 2016 Pilot
    Thx, BB. I got a text this morning that he changed his mind about selling. Not sure if that's because I asked for PPI or what. But if it was, I probably just dodge a big issue.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    If he just pulled it off the market, maybe you dodged a bullet.

I think his issue with the inspection could be reasonable in certain cases. If he is a single guy with no way to drop off the car and have someone take him back home, then yeah, screw you buddy, I'm not waiting for 3 hours at your dealership. In that case you could have offered to drop the car off with him one day and drive him to pick it up the next day.

If he's the type where some new issue arises every time you offer a solution, then yeah, dodged a bullet.

My Cars
    2010 Maxima, 2016 Pilot
    The guy is retired. His girlfriend was going to drop him off. I find it contradicting because the day I was looking at the car, we were talking about how long the wait is in DMV is but for $18, there are sub sites that can do it quicker. He said he's retired so he'd rather be waiting for 2 hours than spend the $18. Then he got too busy when I asked about the inspection.

I found another one though. 2013 Z4 35i with M Sport Package, 45K miles, black with a few minor body paint scratches. Went to inspection and I could tell he genuinely thought everything was perfect. Inspection found turbo oil leak, battery almost dead, need 45K maintenance...about $3K worth of work. He wasn't happy about it but he was cool with me. He said he'll call BMW since the warranty just expired last month to see if theres anything they can do...or get an extended warranty to get it fixed. The leak has been there for more than a month but since there was no engine light and drip on the garage, he didn't know there was a problem. Hopefully he can fix and proceed with our transaction this week. Wish me luck!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    I would use a PPI anytime the money involved is more than I can afford to lose.

If the car is something you think you want, you can also get a mobile inspection done.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    When you think you have found the one always do ppi, independent shops I feel will be more through and honest. And if the seller does not want to do it then move on.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    I just bought a 2003 Z4 with 116000 miles. I had an Indy shop do a decent PPI which took about 2 hours. Well worth the cost.
    Last edited by HarryFD; 06-14-2017 at 01:29 AM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4C, 2012 Tacoma
    2007 and 2013 Z4's are very different cars. 2007 is more of a sports car, 2013 is more of a GT/cruiser. Good luck and I hope you find one that makes you happy.