Thread: Control arm bushing

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert

Control arm bushing

Replaced the shocks, sway bar links and control arms w/ bushings on my car today. Pressed in the bushings without lining up the arrow with the outer mark on the housing...Dont ask why?! Could this be a problem or can i leave it as is? Also, does it take some time for the bushing to settle..? Thanks for the input fellas...

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    In general, yes its a problem. How far off are you?
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    If you used centered bushings, I would not be too concerned.
    If you used offset M3 bushings, then the front end geometry would not be optimum if they were not installed correctly.

m

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert
    They are centered bushings...Car seems to ride fine, but my allignment is a bit off. Did the job with a friend of mine who pressed in the bushings while i was working on other things. He mentioned the arrow after the install! Did not feel like taking them out again and decided to mount on the C-arm. Have to check again how far off the arrow is...

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert
    Also, the car sits up bit higher than before the suspension work. Oem IS springs and seated properly. Not sure, but is there an adjustment period before the bushings and springs 'settle"?

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    If you are using high pressure gas dampers, the car will sit slightly higher.
    There should be some settling of the control arms as the weight of the car overcomes some of the initial binding of the new "tight" tolerances.
    if you replaced the springs with new, then the old ones had some sag with age, or had been "heat" treated to lower the car.
    m

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert
    Quote Originally Posted by mmark. View Post
    If you are using high pressure gas dampers, the car will sit slightly higher.
    There should be some settling of the control arms as the weight of the car overcomes some of the initial binding of the new "tight" tolerances.
    if you replaced the springs with new, then the old ones had some sag with age, or had been "heat" treated to lower the car.
    m
    Thanks for the feedback...Installed the B4 bilstein struts, definitely a firmer ride and the car handles well. Running the original springs and you are correct indeed, they certainly lost some 'spring' after 16 years. Any suggestions on springs that would be compatible with the Bilsteins...? H/R, vogtland, ...? Am ok with the car sitting a little higher since the roads in San Diego are truly crap...

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    The Bilsteins are raising the suspension.
    I prefer suspension travel on the street, so I use E30 M3 springs with the Bilstein sport.

Not much you can do to the front alignment.
    Camber can be adjusted with Camber plates. The re are fixed plates (good for street, No noise or increased NVH) or adjustable ones which will be noisy on the street.
    Third option would be E30 m3 offset strut bushings to increase negative camber.
    Toe can be adjusted with a couple of straight 2"x4"x 20" bits of wood and a couple of tape measures.

m

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert
    Quote Originally Posted by mmark. View Post
    The Bilsteins are raising the suspension.
    I prefer suspension travel on the street, so I use E30 M3 springs with the Bilstein sport.

Not much you can do to the front alignment.
    Camber can be adjusted with Camber plates. The re are fixed plates (good for street, No noise or increased NVH) or adjustable ones which will be noisy on the street.
    Third option would be E30 m3 offset strut bushings to increase negative camber.
    Toe can be adjusted with a couple of straight 2"x4"x 20" bits of wood and a couple of tape measures.

m
    Again Mark, thanks for the input. Decided to order the B4's for the rear and go against someone's suggestion to replace struts and shocks with KYBs and leave the stock springs in place. How do you feel about the HR OE sports with the B4 combo? Read that it is a pretty good fit along with some advice from a HR tech guy. Now, curious about the M3 springs. Any sources that sell them in particular? Thanks again,
    Cheers
    Bane

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    The CAB should have a water based lube when you install the CA and the car should be on the ground very quickly (depending on the lube) with the weight on the suspension. Otherwise you risk preloading the CAB and shortening its life.

the lube allows the CAB to settle unstressed before it dries and locks on to the CA
    Last edited by Jeffnhiscars; 05-23-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks