Thread: 1997 e39 528i CHECK ENGINE LIGHT P1189,P0173 ,P1250 or BMWcodes CB and E4 Help!

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7

Exclamation 1997 e39 528i CHECK ENGINE LIGHT P1189,P0173 ,P1250 or BMWcodes CB and E4 Help!

hello mates.. Im in a real Pickle here. Need Smog pass done . I live in California... I have ta Bmw 528i with 203k miles exactly (It has a Build date of 10/96) 12/96 and up Parts on realoem started to change... different CCV for instance.
    My son goes to out of state college so he hardly uses it as the car sits on my driveway or on streets. 1 day it was on the street and it was towed( tags expired). I paid $770 to get it out plus fines= $1k... Gotta love the state!
    Oil leaked badly and coolant as well..Huge stain on the street of my house
    I replaced these things once I got it back....
    1) new spark plugs( old 1s were swimming in oil)
    2) Valve cover gaskets
    3) 2 coils ( had misfiring codes)
    4) Thermostat
    5) Water pump
    6) expansion tank
    7) upper and lower radiator hoses
    8) CCV valve and adjoining hoses
    9) Intake manifold gaskets
    10) misc Emission hoses underneath manifold
    11) 02 sensors( pre cats)
    12) Oil filter housing canister Gasket( why it leaked so badly)
    13) Oil dipstick o-ring( leaked here as well )
    14) New Fuel Injector O-rings
    15) gas cap
    16) replaced the Hose from gas cap to Fuel tank
    Ive checked the Intake hosing( elbow) up to the Throttle body and all good..Rubber is new like and zero cracks.

I put it all together myself. I now have Zero leaks..Bone dry...The engine idles like a dream...
    Problem? Engine light appears...
    Im using a Matco Scan reader ...
    1) P1189 = Fuel Control( bank 2 sensor 1)
    2) P1250= Manifold absolute pressure too high
    3) P0173 Fuel Trim Bank 2

BMW codes CB and E4 point to what the Matco says
    E4= Fuel trim bank 2
    Cb = Fuel trim Limit Bank2

Any help would be greatly appreciate it.. Im having nightmares cuz of all the hours I spent on this engine...

I also own a 2000 740i Dinan 7 and I do all my work on that engine and have removed the Engine lights over the 10 year ownership..This damn car has me puzzled
    Last edited by cazal740i; 05-17-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    I forgot to say Im waiting on the MAF to arrive (5-19/2017 Friday ) as this is my last piece of the puzzle..If this doesn't work then time to sell the car... I cant do no more
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    What brand O2 sensors?

How will you sell it w/o a smog tag?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    bosch
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    maybe a clogged fuel filter?
    I haven't replaced that yet....
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Live data

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Normal code readings but equate to the BMw codes of cb and e4

2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    something
    Check the map sensor with the engine off, it should read 14.7 at sea level. You can compare it to any other ODBII vehicle you have (engine off) to see if it matches. A high map sensor reading also translates into low vacuum, so time to also check for a vacuum leak.

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    This could be a tricky one because these codes can have so many potential reasons behind them. But looking at what we KNOW, for a start your short term fuel trims are negative, which means you're running rich somewhere on bank 2. Could be a leaky injector, although that seems fairly uncommon. MAF could absolutely be responsible for one or more of these issues, a dodgy MAF can trigger all sorts of fuel system related codes - start there, install the new MAF, clear the codes and give it a run, see what comes back.

The 1250 code seems to mean different things to different people, some saying it's been caused by faulty o2 sensors, a bad MAF, loose gas cap, failing evap system... take your pick. As you have already replaced your o2 sensors and done the top end reseal, let's assume for now that those are ok. You are currently running with a 203k mile MAF still however and there is as good a chance as any that it has simply reached the end of its viable service life. That has to be your next logical step since you've already got it on order. Remember - install it, clear the codes, and run the car for a fair while. It will take time to average out the trims and settle back into a normal range.

If that doesn't solve it, I would start looking at either the fuel pump, fuel filter, or injectors (might have one sticking open too often, although I would expect an injector code, you never know, I had this once on my M60). Good luck man.

*edit* And here you go, an E46 user with a couple of similar codes who found their crankcase vent pipe was to blame;

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=799653

So yeah, lots of variables potentially. Start with your MAF and go from there.
    Last edited by Sobek; 05-17-2017 at 09:50 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by Uturn540 View Post
    Check the map sensor with the engine off, it should read 14.7 at sea level. You can compare it to any other ODBII vehicle you have (engine off) to see if it matches. A high map sensor reading also translates into low vacuum, so time to also check for a vacuum leak.
    thnx for the tip..Ill check it out
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    This could be a tricky one because these codes can have so many potential reasons behind them. But looking at what we KNOW, for a start your short term fuel trims are negative, which means you're running rich somewhere on bank 2. Could be a leaky injector, although that seems fairly uncommon. MAF could absolutely be responsible for one or more of these issues, a dodgy MAF can trigger all sorts of fuel system related codes - start there, install the new MAF, clear the codes and give it a run, see what comes back.

The 1250 code seems to mean different things to different people, some saying it's been caused by faulty o2 sensors, a bad MAF, loose gas cap, failing evap system... take your pick. As you have already replaced your o2 sensors and done the top end reseal, let's assume for now that those are ok. You are currently running with a 203k mile MAF still however and there is as good a chance as any that it has simply reached the end of its viable service life. That has to be your next logical step since you've already got it on order. Remember - install it, clear the codes, and run the car for a fair while. It will take time to average out the trims and settle back into a normal range.

If that doesn't solve it, I would start looking at either the fuel pump, fuel filter, or injectors (might have one sticking open too often, although I would expect an injector code, you never know, I had this once on my M60). Good luck man.

*edit* And here you go, an E46 user with a couple of similar codes who found their crankcase vent pipe was to blame;

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=799653

So yeah, lots of variables potentially. Start with your MAF and go from there.
    I just received the MAF...I installed it and idle was not that much different...seems the same. I ran the LIVE DATA program and it said Bank1 - CL and Bank 2- CL...A few minutes later Bank 2 said- Fault- OL????? OL mean OPEN LINE? while CL= Closed line or CLear?
    .. I did state the engine Idle is perfect.. Like a fine tuned sewing machine...
    The real issue is at COLD start up..It shakes a bit then warms up and then smooth.. I`ve done a lot of research into the matter and the finger always points to Vaccum leak of some sort #1 being the intake manifold gaskets or the Rubber Elbow hose that connects to the Throttle body...
    I forgot to mention is I had to do the Intake manifold twice...Why? I saw fresh oil leaking downward from it...PITA to do it twice but this time I used a small bead of RTV which sealed it nicely. I also used RTV on the Rubber grommets on the ICV valve and the Rubber grommet to the CCV valve at the bottom of manifold. I even RTV the top layer over the OIL Dipstick O-ring because it leaked without RTV...Don't know how BMW thought an O-Ring would keep it from leaking there its so hot.....So I pretty much took my time with EVERY connection either Hoses to manifold or Emission hoses... Its SEALED but the shudder I still get after ALL that puzzles me at cold starts.....
    Leaky Injector? Hmm Now I installed new fuel injector O-rings.. I had some extra from my e38...They use same part # but somehow the old O-rings were a tad fatter...I wonder if my new e38 O-rings are now the culprit?
    Last edited by cazal740i; 05-17-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    1999 540i
    CL Closed Loop. Fuel delivery is being constantly updated from feedback from the O2 sensors.

OL Open Loop. Fuel delivery is controlled by a standard configuration because the O2 sensors are not providing feedback.

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach540 View Post
    CL Closed Loop. Fuel delivery is being constantly updated from feedback from the O2 sensors.

OL Open Loop. Fuel delivery is controlled by a standard configuration because the O2 sensors are not providing feedback.
    Thnx for the lesson. You da man

Last edited by cazal740i; 05-18-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Follow up
    I may have solved the riddle😆
    I replaced the fuel filter and MAf today and
    Same codes appeared. Damn but i didnt give up. Im getting old but after researching the many forums or threads of similiar issues I ended up learning exaxtly which fuel trims are which. Sure helps to learn right???
    Note:
    Fuel trim bank 1= cylinders 1-3
    Fuel trim bank 2= cylinders 4-6
    Sensor 1 = pre cat o2 sensor for exhaust
    Sensor 2 = Post O2 sensors
    So like i said im getting old
    I bought 2 Bosch sensors
    I didnt change sensor 1 on bank 2.
    I mistakenly changed sensor 1 from bank1, sure is confusing which Plug on top of fuel rail was which. So naturally i kept getting the same code after clearing the codes (E4 or P1189) So i changed the correct 02 sensor finally and cleared it for final time and drove around a 10 mile radius. I had Live data on and always fuel system 2 on my Matco readings (fuel trim 2) would quickly change from CL to Fault OL. Not this time. It stayed CL. I even ran Bmw codes while driving and zero issues arose. Thats the best sign ever. No light has popped up yet, God willing, but the live scanner knows if theres a fault beforehand
    Ill keep u posted
    This is what bank 2 sensor 1 tip looked like, lmao. No way can this sensor rwad exhaust air flow. Sealed shut it was

2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    Awesome, glad to see problem solved!

Can I get a confirmation from someone on here: Sensor 1 bank 1 plugs in the rear of the harness and Sensor 1 bank 2 plugs in the front of the harness, closest to the front of the car. In other words, they are reversed. I've had my 328i apart numerous times and keep the same orientation, but I could be wrong? Like OP said, there is no indication of directionality. I have the dreaded fuel trim codes as well, new MAF, but was thinking of getting new pre cat O2s.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Silber, what engine are your asking about?
    This is the E39 forum but your sig says 328i.
    We know the 525/528/530 and the 540, just want to give you the correct info.

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    New Bugs I had the Fuel trims 1 and 2 sensor 1 appear again....Why?? . I don't own INPA or any other software program to reset adaptations so I erased codes again, removed the neg cable and positive cable off battery and held them together with vice grips for 5 hours this time.. I didn't perform anything when installing the sensors.. I simply added to the engine...I Connected the cables back onto the battery back together, started the engine and drove around town again....No DTC`s stored while driving and none after....Maybe this is it?? ....This is madness...Why is this car so hard to be free of lights?
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    After the fact, butt:

1. MAF issues will affect both banks, not just one.
    2. If you've done work and then find that after you are running lean, you have created a vacuum leak.
    3. If you're running rich on only one bank - look to the O2 sensor for that bank, first.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    After the fact, butt:

1. MAF issues will affect both banks, not just one.
    2. If you've done work and then find that after you are running lean, you have created a vacuum leak.
    3. If you're running rich on only one bank - look to the O2 sensor for that bank, first.
    O2 sensors would be wise to do 1st , sure.....but
    What do you do 1st when your`re over heating, coolant spray under the bonnet, engine oil is dripping, spark plugs are swimming in oil, and have white smoke at exhaust + engine light on?
    02 sensors are pretty much last on the list
    Naturally you stop all leaks with new gaskets and hoses.
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Update
    I failed smog test
    Reason is due to the test results that came back indicating I unplugged the battery or cleared the systems memory clean. Wtf?
    I drove for a couple of days without an engine light and yes I did clear the fuel trims codes. So I wasnt suppose to clear codes????
    Now im out of $40 for the test. The shop guy said i was suppose to let rhe codes disappear on ITS OWN. REALLY??

2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    After the failed test i drove home with my tail between my legs. I was bummed. Took the car to the bank for some errands and i have P0340 ( cps sensor) after the testing and engine light. Wtf?

2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Another note
    He said i would of passed had i not reset the codes also stated that my exhaust readings were at 48
    The max output by state allowed is 51. Why are mine so high?

2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    After a few engine cycles the computer will forget that you just reset codes.
    I think there is a message for recent reset, and another for "pending" codes that are waiting for a while before turning the light on

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Now i have p0340
    Cps sensor

2000 740i Sport