Thread: Hatch window inop?

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T

Hatch window inop?

I decided to cinch up my belt and address an issue with my 2002 E39 Touring. Hatch release but the window will not. So ---

A friend has a MATCO diag tool that is wonderful on Euro cars, and BMWs in particular. (PAINFUL statement from a 20 year Snap-On dealer !!) He was able to see that the release switch was actually functioning but the window release was not. I have Googled this a few times over the past months with little real success -- at least finding solutions that were not destructive. THEN, a couple days ago, I found a thread that helped. Here is what I did and discovered ---

Lifted the gate
    Released the tool kit panel and released the two straps.
    Removed the tool kit panel from the tailgate interior panel.
    Removed all the little screws that were exposed. IIRC, somewhere around 9-10 of them. Two others can not be accesses with the window closed !! (Not to worry.)
    At this point the panel can be pulled away from the sheet metal enough to see up into interior of the tailgate areas where all the goodies are, once the foam sheet is held out of the way.
    There is room to reach up to the actual release actuator so I pulled on the actuator rod and the window popped free.
    With the window open, the last two screws (under a plastic trim piece) were removed and the plastic panel was free once the plug on the light was pulled free.

And THEN ????????????? The plug to the actuator was swinging free in the breeze!! I plugged it in, the release functioned, and as the (worthless) Chilton manuals say -- "assembly is the reverse of disassembly".

HAPPY HAPPY !!!!!!!!!

With all that said, if the latch is not working, anything can be at fault, but access is far easier than I have read in almost all threads.
    Of course, this assumes the TAILGATE WILL RELEASE !!!!!!! I have NOTHING for that.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    This is the stuff you can't make up......
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    When I bought this car, I did not do all the homework I should have. The documentation went all the way back to the dealership in NY state who ordered it as a road service vehicle. I "ASSUMED" it was just a big 3 series, but once I had it found it is really a small 7. Had I known that, I would have passed. That said, it is turning out to be a really good car, but even though the PO spent a LOT of money keeping it well maintained, it STILL needed a lot of detail TLC. At this point, the last two items on the "to do" list is resolving an aux air pump code and week hatch struts. The other low priority is that in cold weather the ass end droops (air ride suspension) a bit, but pumps right up when started. Other than that, it is utterly sorted. I do plan on an M54B30 and manual box, but that is some time off. The car has 120K miles on it, uses no oil (really) and has no leaks. I really am trilled that the hatch glass now works, because I have been "bonked" a couple of times. OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!