Thread: Hi all new to forum and my first bmw with hood problem oh where to start lol

My Cars
    328i coupe

Hi all new to forum and my first bmw with hood problem oh where to start lol

Firstly hello everyone i am new to the forum and from Norwich area and joined as i have a feeling i will be on here lots lol judging by the roof system on this car .

I have just taken over my dads old 1997 bmw 328i convertible with a view to giving it some tlc .He has done 45k in 10 years and mechanically the car is perfect and body work is good but the same unfortunately cannot be said for the roof which is why i need some expert advice.I apologize now if I should be posting this on another thread .Here goes lol

After having a roof that worked perfectly well Basically what happened is the roof opened back and hit the bit that lifts up (the cover for when the roof is stored away)this in turn bent the bar nearest to the road on the passengers side which moves the roof mechanism .my dad then got this bar straighten put it back together but no power so after much tinkering it has been just used with hood up for a couple of years.I spent a few hours familiarizing myself and googling lots trying to see what it could be but to no avail.As the bar was bent it must have been one hell of force to do this so i dont know if a fuse could have gone or the motor is broken but but any stater point would be good thanks

On another note I would like to at least do the hood manually at the moment but I cannot seem to get the cover lid to lock down should it ? not sure of this procedure either really or if it just needs adjusting .I have disengaged the two motors put the lid down when i press on the cover lid the sensor clicks in the boot but as soon as you take your hand off it pops up again.If i hold the cover lid down while accessing the boot and pull back the two wires associated with the motor nearest the rear of the car this will in turn hold them shut but cant really drive around with wedged wires lol.Any help with this scenario would also be fab thanks or alternatively if there is anyone i can go to in the East Anglia area to sort this then fantastic.

MANY THANKS

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're referring to the "roof", meaning convertible top or a removable hardtop? I'm not understanding the part where you mention the hood. Is there an issue with the hood as well? If in fact there is an issue with the top, take a look at the link below for a DIY repair process. Hope this helps a bit!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...onvertible.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Everything you mentioned has to do with the damage that occurred when the top hit the tonneau. Pm me and I'll be glad to walk through how to fix your issues