Thread: Bad Clockspring?

My Cars
    97 BMW 328i

Question Bad Clockspring?

Hi there,

I'm new to this and I don't know much about cars. My friend who is a mechanic told me that he believes I have a bad clockspring. My steering wheel squeaks when you turn it and more recently the steering wheel will lock up when I'm driving randomly. I know it also has a small power steering pump leak I believe and the fluid needs to be changed but when I took it to the shop, a different mechanic told me that no codes came up for a clockspring in the OBD-II. What do you think the problem is? If that is the issue I want it fixed but they are telling me that's not it.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Your friend is most likely correct - sounds like you need a new clockspring. If you do a search here there are some good threads on replacing it. There is also a bearing at the top of the steering column that can wear out and cause grinding issues. I would start with a replacement clockspring since it is more commonly the culprit. Helpful site below:

http://www.frankies-bmw.com/3series/...ring_wheel.php

Power stealing leaks are also common but typically it's the hoses at the reservoir that leak and not the pump itself. The reservoir is cheap to replace and has a built in filter so it's worthwhile to swap the whole thing out. Refill with ATF fluid and not power steering fluid. There are some good threads on replacing the hoses with aftermarket transmission cooler or similar hydraulic hose. Most also replace the clamps with worm style ones in order to minimize the leaks.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...e-leak-problem

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    A have several clocksprings. If you need one pm me