Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Hardwiring a Dash Cam

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Hardwiring a Dash Cam

Hello,

I purchased a pretty inexpensive Dashcam from Amazon. I would like to hard wire into the fuse box behind my Dash. My electric DIY skill level is about a 4 out of 5. I can generally follow detailed directions, but I really don't know terminology or anything about electronics. The car is a 2003 Z4 3.0i.

The Dashcam came with a Micro-USB to Cigarette lighter charger. The Cigarette lighter charger says "DC/DC Adapter. Input: DC 12-24V. Output: DC 5V (Funny = symbol) 1A.

Dumb Questions I have before I begin this adventure:

1) I'm assuming that means I need to find a fuse that is 5V and 1A that only runs when the car is on to solder the wires? Any help locating one is appreciated. Diagram 1 Pic 1

2) I literally have no clue how to solder wires to a fuse box. What is the best way to do that. I'm just basing going to the fuse box from how Zed4Me on youtube stated he hardwired his. Honestly upset he didn't explain anything on hardwiring it. Any video or pictures on this would be greatly appreciated.

3) What wires can I expect to find when I splice open the Micro-USB to Cigarette lighter cord?

All help is greatly appreciated!
    Have a great day!

My Cars
    01 325Ci, 07 Exige S, 92 Celica GT4, 86 MR2
    Okay, the easiest option would be to get a "add a fuse" which basically replaces your fuse on one end and gives you a 12V+ power source on the other end. Usually comes with a crimp connector. You connect that to the +12v of the wire going to the usb Cable that powers your dashcam. The ground cable, you find nearby bare metal and bolt it down. Choosing the right fuse to replace determines how your dashcam gets powered. Best bet is to use the radio fuse, and most radios turn off when the key is out of the ignition. Bmw radios stay on for a few minutes buy eventually turn off. That's what you ideally want. Telephone fuse or sunroof fuse are also good choices.

I would recommend buying a "hardwire kit" as well instead of cutting open the cigarette lighter plug if you are a novice. This has 2 wires +12v and ground on one end, a fuse inline, converter (12v to 5v) in the middle, and usb plug at the other end.

I have hardwired over 15? 20? Dashcam and radar detectors and also sell dashcam and accessories with my business. So this is what I think is easiest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Mike Choi | NYC, NY | '01 E46 325Ci + Some Toyotas | 325Ci.com

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    >get a "add a fuse"

Googled that. Looks perfectly easy. I should be able to do that.

>
    I would recommend buying a "hardwire kit" as well instead of cutting open the cigarette lighter plug if you are a novice.

https://www.amazon.com/WheelWitness-Hardwire-Installation-Dashboard-Charger/dp/B00TGQ1Y3Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495021292&sr=8-3&keywords=dash+cam+hardwire+kit

That seems like a good idea too!

Thanks Mike!

My Cars
    07 530xiT, 05 CLK500 Cab
    Mike 325
    You mention a "hardwire kit" ??
    I have a Sirius adapter (one of the original ones sold by circuit city,with lifetime FREE service) I'd like to velcro it to the dash just under the headunit on my 07 E 61
    Where can I pick up 12v that will shut off (key off, cigarette lighter in the rear?) and can I just plug the unit into the Audio Aux that is on the panel behind the center console?
    Thanks Daniel
    BMWCCA # 12660
    PCA # 1994019867
    2019 Porsche Macan S (75% Mine)
    2018 M/B C 300 Cabrio AMG (wifes)
    2003 Porsche 996 Cabrio 6 speed (99% mine)
    ***FOR SALE 2007 BMW E 61 530xiT
    I WILL BE NEEDING A BMW E 30 CABRIO SOON
    2014 M/B GLK 350 (awful car, lease) gone
    2005 M/B CLK 500 AMG gone
    3 Z3's (gone)
    2006 911 S Cabrio (gone)
    4 Boxsters (gone)
    2006 X5 3.0 (gone)
    1999 528iT (gone)
    1994 525iT (gone)
    7 Assorted 911's (gone)
    60 others (gone over 70 years)

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by daka View Post
    I have a Sirius adapter (one of the original ones sold by circuit city,with lifetime FREE service)
    That sounds pretty cool, bet that was a good deal. I hate the radio, but I'm too cheap to pay $10 a much for Sirius.

Another question about the Dash Cam install. I ended up thinking the dash cam linked above is way too big. It sticks down really far. I'm going to return it for a model that mounts to the glass. I did receive the add a fuse in the mail:
    Add a Fuse

And I do have the Hardwire Kit:
    Hardwire Kit

I am still naive on which fuse to add to. Can I add it to any fuse that shuts off when the key is taken out? Like the Radio Fuse, or do I also have to pay attention to the Amps on the fuse I'm using?

Thanks again.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Okay, There is something going on that I don't get.

The add-a-fuse came with two 20a fuses, so I decided the safest course of action was to add it to an existing 20a fuse.

http://imgur.com/a/fEo0T

First I tried the Fuel Pump Fuse, middle row on the end. The dash cam came on when plugged in and started recording. Yay it works, but it's recording when the car isn't on and the key isn't in the ignition.

Unplugged it, the camera shut off. Then I tried the Heated Rear Window fuse, surely it's not on when the key is out of the ignition. Nope same thing, camera turns on and records when plugged in.

So I tried the last 20 amp fuse, the Power soft top. I KNOW FOR A FACT YOU CAN OPERATE THE SOFT TOP WHEN THE KEY IS OUT. Same thing, camera turns on and records when plugged in, even though the car is off and the key is out of the ignition.

What's going on here? What fuse should I be adding to?

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Okay! It's working, this page was a big help:
    https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/...add-a-fuse-kit

I used the 7.5a Radio Fuse, The 7.5a goes on the inside of the add-a-fuse, the 20a goes on the outside. I did the orientation test and the add-a-fuse had to point towards the driver in my car.