Thread: Should I buy an eBay fuel pump? BROKE ASF

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe

Should I buy an eBay fuel pump? BROKE ASF

Thanks for the help guys

So long story short, I'm unemployed and on a super strict budget and my fuel pump is starting to soft fail (long cranks, feels like it wants to die sometimes) so I'm planning on getting an eBay fuel pump assembly replacement rebuild kit. I found one that is $30 and has a one year replacement. As I said earlier I am on a super strict budget and have bills coming up and can't afford an OE or OEM brand any advice on what I should do? I'm pretty well mechanically inclined and I can tackle this challenge, i've just never done a fuel pump rebuild before. When it comes down to it last resort if you guys really think this is a bad option then I can just borrow some money from my parents.. (id rather not though lol). Once again, thanks for the replies and responses I appreciate the time and information.

Here is the eBay kit I was looking to get:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/222504673421

Driving a 2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    I don't like the look of the fuel hose. It has to be rated for fuel at pressure. IIRC the correct rating is SAE J30 R9. The rating should be on the hose, but there's nothing there.

The pump may work indefinitely or it may not, it's a total cr(pshoot. See the limitation warning on the ad: " (pump life may be diminished when used with E85 fuel)" Diminished to what, two weeks?

It's not my bizness why your budget is so limited. What you're looking at is not a "fuel pump rebuild" but a complete replacement. Seems to me that rather than pay for and install a temporary pump, you should Do The Right Thing. It will pay off in the long run.

All the above assumes you have correctly diagnosed whatever issue you're having, something none of us can be assured of.

"Broke ASF" if it means what I think it does, suggests (sorry!) that you may not be well prepared to own a car known for neediness in the mechanical repair department.
    Last edited by Honolulu; 05-15-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    You should not buy that pump as it won't correctly adapt to your Fuel Pump Sending Unit. I purchased an inexpensive Fuel Pump Assembly from EBay and I have had no issues yet. Here is a picture of what your current Fuel Pump looks like and if you are replacing just the Fuel Pump, you will need one that looks exactly like this to fit correctly in the Sending Unit. I suggest you spend a few more dollars and buy the entire Fuel Pump Sending Unit assembly.

Fuel_Pump.jpg

This is the Fuel Pump Assembly I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361069840351...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yes, it is inexpensive but let's be honest, a Fuel Pump is not rocket science.
    Last edited by All2kool; 05-15-2017 at 05:38 PM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
    You should not buy that pump as it won't correctly adapt to your Fuel Pump Sending Unit. I purchased an inexpensive Fuel Pump Assembly from EBay and I have had no issues yet. Here is a picture of what your current Fuel Pump looks like and if you are replacing just the Fuel Pump, you will need one that looks exactly like this to fit correctly in the Sending Unit. I suggest you spend a few more dollars and buy the entire Fuel Pump Sending Unit assembly.

Fuel_Pump.jpg

This is the Fuel Pump Assembly I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361069840351...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yes, it is inexpensive but let's be honest, a Fuel Pump is not rocket science.
    This one looks great actually, I'll probably order it. I'm just looking for a very temporary fix as I'm not one to cheap out on my baby, I just don't want to get left stranded honestly and this happened at the worst possible time (financial situation). Thanks again! Great advice

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I hope you found the actual cause of your long crank times. Failing crank sensor or vacuum leaks or a half dozen other things can cause long crank times. Before you spend money on a pump get a fuel pressure tester. Advanced auto and autozone have free tool leaner programs.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I hope you found the actual cause of your long crank times. Failing crank sensor or vacuum leaks or a half dozen other things can cause long crank times. Before you spend money on a pump get a fuel pressure tester. Advanced auto and autozone have free tool leaner programs.
    I feel like that would be the main issue, I'm not getting any codes for anything else or even this issue but the car is more than 10 years old and I just hit 82,000 miles on it. So might as well replace it for now. I plan on getting an FCP euro OE replacement so I can have that lifetime warranty. But like I said for now I'm trying to get the maintenance done and I feel like this is part of it. I should definitely do a fuel pressure test though, thanks for the advice!

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by Leothelion092 View Post
    This one looks great actually, I'll probably order it. I'm just looking for a very temporary fix as I'm not one to cheap out on my baby, I just don't want to get left stranded honestly and this happened at the worst possible time (financial situation). Thanks again! Great advice
    My reasoning when I bought an inexpensive Fuel Pump Assembly was that if it failed, I would then replace just the Fuel Pump and install it in the original Sending Unit I removed. A replacement Bosch or VDO Fuel Pump and the cost of the cheap assembly I did buy would still be less than $100. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I say.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    As posters above have mention...you should diagnose accurately your cars issue, or issues, before assuming cause and repair costs. I have made similar assumptions for repair from over many years and wasted money! Hey, it could be as easy as a restricted fuel filter....an inexpensive resolve.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    As posters above have mention...you should diagnose accurately your cars issue, or issues, before assuming cause and repair costs. I have made similar assumptions for repair from over many years and wasted money! Hey, it could be as easy as a restricted fuel filter....an inexpensive resolve.
    You and all the other posters are definitely right, I'm going to go get a fuel pressure tester and see what's going on. Funny thing is that I already have the fuel filter replacement as well (Mann) I've just been waiting for the fuel pump to ggo out because I had a feeling it would lol

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    A code reader may help you too!

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    A code reader may help you too!
    I've plugged one in and for some reason it's not giving any codes.. maybe a more hi tech scanner?

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Are you using a BMW specific scan tool or a generic OBD tool?

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Are you using a BMW specific scan tool or a generic OBD tool?
    Generic :-(

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Generic :-(
    I have a U480 OBDII Reader and it works on both my cars.

FWIW - long crank times could mean a faulty Fuel Pump and it could also mean a failing Crank Position Sensor. I would start with the Fuel Pump if you do not know when it was changed and if the car has more than 100k miles. The other thing that kills a Fuel Pump is running the car with little gas.
    Last edited by All2kool; 05-17-2017 at 09:45 AM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe

FWIW - long crank times could mean a faulty Fuel Pump and it could also mean a failing Crank Position Sensor. I would start with the Fuel Pump if you do not know when it was changed and if the car has more than 100k miles. The other thing that kills a Fuel Pump is running the car with little gas.
    Okay cool so cranks position sensor is the next thing I should check, got it

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe

How does this code reader one differ from a generic code reader?

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I plan to invest in a correct BMW code reader very soon, as I have just bought my first, an 03, 325xi.

Question for 'TonyAngel'....I appreciate your many inputs on this forum ..I'm new to BMW too, I haven't looked yet, but where can newbies find a true reader?

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    I don't know that it does but I do know it reads the codes on my 2002 Cabriolet just fine.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I'm brand new here....I am a new 3 series wagon member...(an 03 325xi) ...We are all here to learn....TonyAngel on here, I have read several of his posts here on Bimmer...he is maybe the best knowledge poster on this forum...in my opinion.

We are all here to help each other...

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Oh, no. I know something between jack and squat with BMWs compared to guys like dirt racer, rocket, power and dworthy.

As for the scanner, I'm using a Foxwell NT510. About $150. If you have a spare laptop, contact rocketsurgeon about software. That'll cost you about $25 for the cable.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Your fuel pump will fail at some point, 80k seems low mileage but mileage really isn't a key factor, run time is. Pumps fail from brush and comutator wear and not from running the tank low on fuel. Fuel running through the pump will 'cool' it more than being submersed.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    OBD2 code readers can only read P-codes, while BMW specific scan tools can communicate with all BMW modules,
    and display BMW specific error codes.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post29328896

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    OBD2 code readers can only read P-codes, while BMW specific scan tools can communicate with all BMW modules,
    and display BMW specific error codes.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post29328896
    Do you or anybody on this thread post know which scanner reads the best and give the most info at the lowest price?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I feel these 2 options are best:
    Carly for BMW-Smartphone App, if you want ease of use,some coding capabilities, always available-just like your phone.
    INPA BMW software, just like a factory diagnostic tool for the computer savvy,
    requires more of a learning curve & a laptop with diagnostic cables.

Both can communicate with all BMW computer modules and display BMW specific error codes.