Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Wheel upgrades

My Cars
    2002 BMW M roadster

Wheel upgrades

Good afternoon,

I'm sure that this question has been posted numerous times but here it is again. I purchased a 2002 M roadster a couple months ago as a birthday gift to myself and would like to upgrade the wheels. I currently have the stock wheels. I am looking for a generation correct style and offset. Any suggestions on what the proper offsets are for the car if I upgrade to an 18 inch set up? I do not want to go to 19s for fear of rubbing and other ailments. Also suggestions for tire sizes for front and rear would also be greatly appreciated. The style of wheel would also be deep dish or have a nice lip to it. Thank you again in advance for all your comments, answers and suggestions. Have a wonderful day and week ahead.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    There are quite a bit of options for 'correct' style of wheel, so I would recommend googling bmw wheels from the e46 and various other models to get a sense of what you like. Tire size should stay close to your current, stock setup; unless you're planning on adding suspension components. Take a look at the link below; it's a really helping guide on wheel fitment and spacing/offset. Please let us know if you have any questions and best of luck! Post some photos of the before and after too!

Wheel Fitment & Spacing Guide
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I believe the stock wheel dimensions are as follows:

Front - 17x7.5 ET41 (same as E36M3 fronts)
    Rear - 17x9 ET8 (these are special)

So for the fronts you have zillions of options, and could certainly go wider if you want, though a spacer may be necessary. For the rear, you will either want something with a similarly low offset, or compensate with spacers and a higher offset wheel which might be easier to find.

As for going to 18's, just keep the offsets and widths within reason and you should be fine. You'll probably want to compensate for the extra wheel height with a lower profile tire, at least to some extent. Like if you were going to stay at stock widths then something like a 225/40-18 and a 245/35-18. If you don't, then your wheel will be at least an inch taller than stock and your ride height will increase accordingly unless you can adjust it.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy