Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Project Starts

My Cars
    1986 325e 2001 330ci

The Project Starts

We had already decided to pick up the car ourselves due to issues with how transport works. It's just too iffy and unreliable for our time schedule. So we rented a truck from Enterprise and an auto transport from U-Haul and drove from Greenville SC to just above Miami Beach Florida this weekend. Left on Saturday at noon and returned at 10:30 Sunday night. The truck we got from Enterprise was past my expectations. I really wanted a diesel but I had to take what they had in stock. Got a Ram 3/4 ton with a ******** Turbo Diesel!!!! Pulling the transport down we averaged 18.2 MPG and with the E30 loaded coming back we averaged 17.3 MPG. Unless you hit a bump in the road you didn't even know the trailer was back there. Pretty much 70 MPH both ways unless it was heavily congested or a lower speed limit. Truck had the most comfortable seats I've used on a long distance trip.

20170513_111341.jpg

First look at the car. The car has 138K on it but the body is in fantastic shape. It's been in this garage for 18 years since it was parked.

20170514_072948.jpg

Engine compartment is really clean. The connector for the ABS brakes fell apart. I think some contact cleaner that hates plastic was sprayed on it when they attempted to start the car in late 2014. But after a full inspection every single one fell apart and all the insulation for those lines fell off. The wire is in great shape, go figure.

20170516_103221.jpg

One tire was dead, but the spare is like new so I aired it up and changed it out. Sometimes you get lucky cause it's gotta roll.

20170514_093818.jpg
    20170514_094318.jpg

Dash is in great shape with no cracks and is clean and well maintained.

Pulling it up on the transport first we used a chain hoist then switched to a much faster come along. My beautiful wife helps out both with loading and driving! A keeper!!!

Dropped it off in the driveway and now I have to get it up the driveway and into the garage.

It appears they purchased a new battery in late 2014 when they attempted to start the car and failed. I'm guessing the tank is full of trash. After I get it in the garage I will see about removing and inspecting the tank. But for right now I will see if I can charge the battery. To do this I pulled my old non-automatic charger out and attached it to the battery. I run it on high for about 10 minutes and then switch it to 2 amps and let it charge. Once it starts charging I will take it off and put the automatic charger on as it will then start working. If it comes back great if it doesn't no huge issue.

Last edited by clovett; 03-05-2018 at 05:58 PM.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Nice! Grats
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1986 325e 2001 330ci
    The delivery phase isn't finished until the car is in the garage where I can work on it. I thought about putting a plate down but decided I could pull it with a chain up the steep part of the driveway then use a strap rated at 3000 lbs to get it to the lip where I can push it in. Worked like a champ! I put a piece of carpet between the chain and tire to keep from chafing the tire. Chocks under the front and rear tire plus parking brake and in gear. Manual of course!

Now I have to figure out how to empty the fuel tank. The people that tried to crank it in 2014 put gas in it. I'm sure it's goo by now. I just hope it isn't severely rusted, if it is a new tank will be going in.

Behold how to get your car in if you have a nice Tacoma truck and a nice neighbor to help you push it the car inside.

20170515_195152.jpg

It's home! Let the exploratory wrenching begin after I return from my motorcycle trip.

20170515_200544.jpg
    Last edited by clovett; 03-05-2018 at 05:59 PM.

My Cars
    2017 X5, 1992 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by clovett View Post
    The delivery phase isn't finished until the car is in the garage where I can work on it. I thought about putting a plate down but decided I could pull it with a chain up the steep part of the driveway then use a strap rated at 3000 lbs to get it to the lip where I can push it in. Worked like a champ! I put a piece of carpet between the chain and tire to keep from chafing the tire. Chocks under the front and rear tire plus parking brake and in gear. Manual of course!

Now I have to figure out how to empty the fuel tank. The people that tried to crank it in 2014 put gas in it. I'm sure it's goo by now. I just hope it isn't severely rusted, if it is a new tank will be going in.

Behold how to get your car in if you have a nice Tacoma truck and a nice neighbor to help you push it the car inside.

It's home! Let the exploratory wrenching begin after I return from my motorcycle trip.

Congrats Very Nice E30!!

I look forward to your posts.

My Cars
    E30 1992 325ic
    Very nice E30!

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

My Cars
    1986 325e 2001 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Siebenthal View Post
    Very nice E30!

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?
    My wife had really fond memories of riding around in this car when she was a teenager. After her grandfather, who bought it new, passed away some of the relatives tried to start it. I guess they thought they could put gas in it and crank it, then drive it 1000 miles after sitting for 18 years. In the end we went down and picked it up so it didn't get crushed for scrap. Now my wife will get some of those memories when she drives it and I get a project car. Hmnnnn....?

My Cars
    1986 325e 2001 330ci
    We had no time to do an inspection when we picked up the car. The battery is slowly charging, a good thing, and should recover nicely. However now that I can inspect the engine compartment the alternator is crying out for help. The hose assembly above the alternator leaked over time and corroded the metal holding the alternator until it cracked and fell apart. So I will need to find a complete alternator bracket assembly for a 1986 325e which may be easy and may be hard. Not sure about compatibility between models for this sort of thing. If anyone knows that information would be awesome to have. Better yet if someone has a bracket for sale I am in the market. I am hoping it's somewhat standard. I'll take the alternator apart and see what the damage is inside it. Also there is some connector next to what the people trying to start the car labeled as the fuel pump relay. It fell apart I assume sprayed with the wrong cleaner. I'm not so worried about it as following the wire back and making sure it's all good before I cover it and replace that connector. I will probably just use a large posi-lock for that.

My Cars
    2017 X5, 1992 325iC
    We had no time to do an inspection when we picked up the car. The battery is slowly charging, a good thing, and should recover nicely. However now that I can inspect the engine compartment the alternator is crying out for help. The hose assembly above the alternator leaked over time and corroded the metal holding the alternator until it cracked and fell apart. So I will need to find a complete alternator bracket assembly for a 1986 325e which may be easy and may be hard. Not sure about compatibility between models for this sort of thing. If anyone knows that information would be awesome to have. Better yet if someone has a bracket for sale I am in the market. I am hoping it's somewhat standard. I'll take the alternator apart and see what the damage is inside it. Also there is some connector next to what the people trying to start the car labeled as the fuel pump relay. It fell apart I assume sprayed with the wrong cleaner. I'm not so worried about it as following the wire back and making sure it's all good before I cover it and replace that connector. I will probably just use a large posi-lock for that.

You could find all the parts you need here or on this site http://www.bmrparts.com/index.htm
    Last edited by E30Garage; 05-16-2017 at 03:18 PM.

My Cars
    1986 325e 2001 330ci
    Thanks to those that replied in the thread and PM's for parts. I won't really know what I need until I get the alternator off and that won't be for a week. BUT in the meantime look at what was in the trunk. I knew there were some parts but I didn't really have a chance to look through them until now. Lots of oil filters, a new air filter, a window motor, stainless steel brake lines, a new hood ornament, a paper Bentley manual and a fuel injection manual, a full set of coolant hoses, I think a clutch master or slave cylinder, maybe a new windshield washer motor, a new set of rear brake pads, some misc other things, a BMW hat and the best thing of all....the missing maintenance records including receipts for everything he ever purchased for the car! And see those Bosch Platinum spark plugs? I can see over and over where he had shops put in new sets of those. From what I am reading on this site I think I would be better off buying different ones.

Unfortunately he spent a ton of money trying to get the air conditioner working. I will log everything he had replaced and see what is left because no matter what they did the Freon leaked out. I know they replaced everything under the hood at least once and some items three times.

Anyone ever find this good a treasure trove in the trunk of a car?

My Cars
    2017 X5, 1992 325iC
    Thanks to those that replied in the thread and PM's for parts. I won't really know what I need until I get the alternator off and that won't be for a week. BUT in the meantime look at what was in the trunk. I knew there were some parts but I didn't really have a chance to look through them until now. Lots of oil filters, a new air filter, a window motor, stainless steel brake lines, a new hood ornament, a paper Bentley manual and a fuel injection manual, a full set of coolant hoses, I think a clutch master or slave cylinder, maybe a new windshield washer motor, a new set of rear brake pads, some misc other things, a BMW hat and the best thing of all....the missing maintenance records including receipts for everything he ever purchased for the car! And see those Bosch Platinum spark plugs? I can see over and over where he had shops put in new sets of those. From what I am reading on this site I think I would be better off buying different ones.

Unfortunately he spent a ton of money trying to get the air conditioner working. I will log everything he had replaced and see what is left because no matter what they did the Freon leaked out. I know they replaced everything under the hood at least once and some items three times.

Anyone ever find this good a treasure trove in the trunk of a car?

You hit the jackpot with all the spares and maintenance records. Great find!!

My Cars
    1987 325e, 1989 325i
    That's a beauty of a car. Much better shape than my '87 I got a couple months ago.

ive ordered a lot of parts through Amazon, prices aren't always the best but it's close and with free 2 day shipping.

pelican parts looks to be my choice for most things. I ordered a lot of stuff from bavauto back in the '90's but I'm not impressed with their stuff now.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    You don't want the Bosch Platinums, you want to get the Bosch Coppers.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    1986 325e 2001 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
    You don't want the Bosch Platinums, you want to get the Bosch Coppers.
    As I look back in his maintenance records all the mechanics put platinums in, and in and in with nothing but complaints. In one record they actually swapped the previous plugs for the current 3 month old plugs and called it a fix. I will be ordering a set of copper NGK or Bosch copper plugs.

My Cars
    something
    Definitely needs alternator bushings since they and the cassette deck belts turn to goo. The hard part is cleaning out the goo. http://www.autohausaz.com/search/gro...eid=800003@BMW
    Have not had much luck with Bosch plugs and also prefer the NGK's. Mine suffered the same fate in having set in a garage for seven years after the original owner passed away. Needed a new tank and fuel pump, along with a fuel system flush. A friend of mine did the fuel tank and pump replacement and turned me on to the car as a project. Parts are really reasonable and in general these cars are easy to work on. You will probably spend as much on tires as the on the rest of the car. Welcome to the club.20170313_161954.jpg

My Cars
    2017 X5, 1992 325iC
    NGK's is the way to go, I use them in all my cars and never had an issue.

My Cars
    1988 Bmw 325is
    Hello, i am new to bimmer forums and just got a 1988 325is e30 for my 16th birthday, i have big plans for the car, i am ordering a new timing belt and water pump, because the guy i bought it from said he didn't know when it was last changed, and im not going to risk destroying the valves and piston, i would love to hear some ideas from people who have had a lot of experience with e30's. Glad to be joining the e30 club!

My Cars
    2017 X5, 1992 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbagman View Post
    Hello, i am new to bimmer forums and just got a 1988 325is e30 for my 16th birthday, i have big plans for the car, i am ordering a new timing belt and water pump, because the guy i bought it from said he didn't know when it was last changed, and im not going to risk destroying the valves and piston, i would love to hear some ideas from people who have had a lot of experience with e30's. Glad to be joining the e30 club!
    Welcome to the club!!

You are on the right track of replacing the timing belt and water pump.

We'd love to see a pic of your E30!

My Cars
    1988 Bmw 325is
    Thank you, and i will try to figure out how to put pictures on here, when i do i will post them.

My Cars
    2017 X5, 1992 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbagman View Post
    Thank you, and i will try to figure out how to put pictures on here, when i do i will post them.
    You need a pic hosting service like http://imgur.com or google/photos then copy and paste your pics on here or use the insert image icon.
    Last edited by E30Garage; 05-19-2017 at 08:50 PM.

My Cars
    1986 325e 2001 330ci
    Ok I'm back from my motorcycle trip and ready to start ordering parts. I'll drop the gas tank and start pulling the timing belt while the parts are shipping. I'm posting a list let me know if I missed something major. One thing I can't find gas hose, I'm assuming I can just buy new gas line at any parts store. I'll try and get Gates, was hoping to get some that actually said BMW on it but so what. It appears to be 8mm rubber fuel line. Does anyone know if the car has one or two fuel filters as in one inline and one in the tank? I think that's all I need to place the initial parts order. I'm not bothering to look at the tank, after 18 years of gas sitting in it it has to be ruined. Also they list two completely different water pump wrenches, can someone tell me if I need both??

Also I found a new Bosch fuel pump in my parts so I am using that. I feel a little stupid, I thought it was a windshield water pump when I looked at it but it isn't.

13500_C4366F74E1CE9.jpg

14440c.jpg

Gates timing belt kit (I assume it has gaskets cause I can't find a gasket kit for the belt)
    Cardone select water pump kit with gasket
    Hayden Thermal standard duty fan clutch
    Spectra Premium gas tank with lock ring kit
    Spectra Fuel pump seal
    NGK ZGR5A spark plugs
    O-Ring and Pintle kits for injectors
    Composite valve cover gasket
    Last edited by clovett; 05-25-2017 at 07:30 PM.

My Cars
    1986 325e 2001 330ci
    Finally get to start doing something to the car. I jacked up the back so I can inspect the differential and gas tank. I held off on ordering a gas tank until I can look in this one since the car has much less rust under it than I was expecting.

First thing the rear differential leaks from both the drive shaft seal and the two axle seals. The only one that doesn't leak is the rear cover seal. I am assuming I will have to drop the trans axle assembly to repair this.

Then I spotted this wire. At first I was alarmed because it appears to be burned, but upon closer inspection the insulation just fell off much like the two connectors under the hood. Is this common and if so where does this wire go and what does it do? Should I replace it or use it as is?

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    it's your abs sensor wire. it has a grommet molded on which goes thru the body into the cabin. replace as a whole unit. never seen one get so corroded.

My Cars
    1986 325e 2001 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by 82eye View Post
    it's your abs sensor wire. it has a grommet molded on which goes thru the body into the cabin. replace as a whole unit. never seen one get so corroded.
    The strange thing is it's all of them. And it's not really "corroded" it's just that the wire jacket fell apart. The two wires themselves are pristine. Really strange as it goes up and under the hood and the jacket fell apart there also.

My Cars
    1986 325e 2001 330ci
    I pulled the pre-supply pump up out of the gas tank to see if I could get a better determination on the gas tank rust situation. It was a solid clump of rust. Tank is doomed and so is the pre-supply pump.

My Cars
    something
    You can just replace the wire loom cover on the brake sensor wires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast