Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a Z3

My Cars
    2007 Honda Accord MT

Purchasing a Z3

Hi Bimmerforum Members,

I suppose this is something of a life achievement for me. I finally am in a financial situation to get an old Z3 for no other reason than that it's beautiful, fun, and like nothing else on the road. (And my God, why are they so cheap? Why aren't more people buying them as future classics?) I wanted to tap into the collective wisdom of Z3 owners and ask a few questions...

1) Is this a good idea or a maintenance disaster? I could get a Miata if I wanted less maintenance and charm. I'm OK getting my wrench dirty, but I'm interested in a Z3 to drive, not just to look at (although I do plan on doing that, too).

2) What should I look for in a Z3? What parts are likely to be in trouble?

3) What are the best forums for finding classifieds? Are there super secret BMW forums where the creamiest cars go to be sold?

4) How much do you love your Z3? Do you regret owning it? What would you change about your car if you could?

5) How would you spec it? I think my target is a 2000-2002 6-cyl. MT, 80-120K miles.

Thanks,
    Barnabas
    Last edited by Barnabas; 04-28-2017 at 10:22 PM.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    2001 and 2002s came with the 3.0 liter engine.

- - - Updated - - -

They are also generally easy to work on, so if you do need to DIY, it's not as bad as some other cars.

My Cars
    2007 Honda Accord MT
    Thanks, Matt. I amended it for the correct engine size.

That's good to hear. What year do you own/how has it been for reliability?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    1) Is this a good idea or a maintenance disaster? I could get a Miata if I wanted less maintenance and charm. I'm OK getting my wrench dirty, but I'm interested in a Z3 to drive, not just to look at (although I do plan on doing that, too).
    Maintenance breeze--doesn't need much, and what it does is easy to do.

2) What should I look for in a Z3? What parts are likely to be in trouble?
    Look for good maintenance records and good clean condition. Many normal issues such as seat bushings and glove box sag, but are easy to address if they haven't been already.

3) What are the best forums for finding classifieds? Are there super secret BMW forums where the creamiest cars go to be sold?
    This forum and our classifies. Check out the buyer's guides.

4) How much do you love your Z3? Do you regret owning it? What would you change about your car if you could?
    Love it a lot--100% No regrets. I've already changed everything I can and had fun doing it.

5) How would you spec it? I think my target is a 2000-2002 2.8 MT, 80-120K miles.
    Buy an ///M. '98-'00 has the S52; '01-'02 has the sought after S54 at twice the price. You're right, they are cheap, so get an ///M and don't look back. Read the stickies at the top of the forum page thoroughly before you buy. Take your time and read up on them--it's worth the wait. There's a lot to know and look for and it's all here.

My Cars
    none yet
    I went through the same thing last summer, except I was looking to get a Mini Copper for a fun car to drive. I also checked into the Miata but found the prices as high as the Z3 and the Mini too expensive to fix. I ended up with a 2001 Z3 3.0 with 59K that was a garage queen for the two previous owners and it will be my garage queen. My biggest fear is the cost of repair if you cannot do the repairs on your own. I am good with my hands, but it's my brain and the lack of tools that holds me back. I fix copiers and printers which doesn't require many specialty tools and are not mechanically as complicated as a BMW. They sure are fun to drive and when I get back from a drive I have to have my wife wipe the smile off my face. I don't need the 3.0, but I bought it because it was the best one available at a good price at the time. I am 66 and I am not a fast driver so the 1.9 would have been enough for me, and only wish I did this 10 years earlier. I live in the northeast so there are not too many for sale and ended up driving about 180 miles to see the one I bought.

My Cars
    z3
    I would get a 1998 2.8 if on a budget or an M if you can swing it. Smiles/$ is the best with the M even if they are a bit more expensive...

The 2.8 and 98-00 M's are both very reliable and easy to maintain by a fairly competent DIY mechanic. I love my 2 Z3's and all the many I've owned in the past. Seems once you own one of these cars you are hooked for life... a few people escape... but they usually only make it as far as to another BMW convertible...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 BMW MZ3

Don't hesitate-

I felt the same way 17 years ago, and bought a 1998 M Roadster. It's been my daily driver ever since. It is certainly not maintenance-free (there are plenty of websites and message boards that will tell you about cooling systems, spot welds in the trunk, seat bushings, etc) but I have not regretted it and still turn around to look at it a I walk away in the parking lot.

If a Z3 speaks to you that way, better to give in than to regret it for years to come.

Jeff
    Plano TX

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by dadmog View Post
    ...but I have not regretted it and still turn around to look at it a I walk away in the parking lot.
    ^^ this

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs

screams!

Quote Originally Posted by dadmog View Post
    I felt the same way 17 years ago, and bought a 1998 M Roadster. It's been my daily driver ever since. It is certainly not maintenance-free (there are plenty of websites and message boards that will tell you about cooling systems, spot welds in the trunk, seat bushings, etc) but I have not regretted it and still turn around to look at it a I walk away in the parking lot.

If a Z3 speaks to you that way, better to give in than to regret it for years to come.

Jeff
    Plano TX
    If the ragtop Z "speaks to you", an M Coupe will scream at you!, lol.

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Cars were appliances for me until I got my 97 Z3 2.8 and found this forum in 2007. Now I also own an S54 M Coupe. Through the wisdom and expertise of members on this forum, I have become adept at performing basic to moderate maintenance and several upgrade modifications. The Z is also a gateway to a pretty awesome enthusiast group, the ZSCCA. Lots of really fun and knowledgeable owners throughout the country who love to get together and drive. In fact there will be an event this summer not that far from you in upstate NY. PM me if you are interested.
    Last edited by KBH22102; 04-30-2017 at 04:33 PM.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Thanks, Matt. I amended it for the correct engine size.

That's good to hear. What year do you own/how has it been for reliability?
    Consumer reports gives the 2001 and 2002 slightly better reliability than earlier years. On the other hand, I've had 3 2001s and 1 2002 over the years, all with the M54 engine, and 3 out of 4 of them have consumed oil. Not a biggie in the scheme of things though.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    You have to be careful of the Z3 bug, once it has bitten you, your life will never be the same. Many sell them only to have to buy another one shortly after. The other symptom is owning multiple Z3's at the same time, be they roadsters or coupes. Such is the love of these little cars.

I currently own two roadsters and am always looking for the next Z3 to add to the collection.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8L
    I was asking many of the same questions as you just a few short months ago. I was even open to alternatives like a Miata, 350z, or TT... But the z3 just looks so...timeless. After learning more about the reliability it because the obvious choice and clear best value.

Bought a 97 with the 2.8 over a month ago and I LOVE driving it. Absolute blast. Haven't had it long enough to speak to larger maintenance, I've only done oil change and air filter and that was extremely straightforward (ordinarily I wouldn't even mention it but the air filter replacement made me remark out loud "well, that was easy" comparing it to my wife's Toyota sienna) . More than anything I just need the sun to come out of hibernation...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I've owned 2 Z3s designated 2.3 . They are both fantastic cars and have required little in the realm of breakdown repair. We owned one (2000 Dakar Yellow Z3/Automatic) We owned that one for almost 10 yrs. and put about 115,000 miles on it. (bought at 65K and sold at 175K) We loved it so much we bought another in with the same engine, but this one is a manual (Topaz Blue). It currently has 38K miles on it and we aren't afraid of owning it one bit. There's something special about a Z drop top from Spring- Autumn and even on some warmer Winter days. I'd vouch more for the M52TUb25 2.3 and the 2.8 from 2000 as you get the updated rear with L shaped lights and the nicer center console layout. No oil consumption issues on those vs. the later M54 equipped engines.
    Best of luck!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    I love the looks of the Z3 Roadster. Performance ranges from good to excellent, depending on the model. In terms of reliability, it beats many of its more expensive rivals for reliability. If you have any bent towards performance, I would buy the M, because it gets you more horsepower from the factory. There are few mods that give you more power at that added price, and I doubt the money you sink into performance mods will pay off in resale value like the extra money you spent on buying an M. About the only thing I don't like about this car is how little room there is for carrying anything with you. My wife carries a massive purse, and typically a pile of other items with her in the car, and wants them at her reach. No room interior room for that aside from her lap and floor.

My Cars
    98 Z3, 02 Z3MC, 07 Z4MC
    I know a decent 98-00 M roadster can be had for $6000 or less here in Washington State in excellent condition under 120,000 miles. Perhaps you could find one within 600 miles of you and fly out to see it and drive it back. Usually that's how you really find exactly what you are looking for.

With a manual transmission and some decent maintenance history I would not worry about a higher mileage car at all. I know the M engines last forever in the early model cars (We call them S52's or S52 cars). The later S54 powered cars (01-02 model years) are still pretty expensive and the S54 is a big more challenging to own as you may want to replace your rod bearings at some point.

That being said a 3.0 (01-02 car) would be an excellent choice. I have a 2.8 (cheaper and also good with a single VANOS engine) as my daily and I absolutely love it. It is honestly a more fun car to drive on the street compared to either of my M Coupes because you always feel like you are going faster. The M Coupes are legitimately fast cars with stiff bodies and good suspensions, but you do not even feel like you are going fast until you are near to triple digits. Not great for the license if you get pulled over. Those cars are really best set for either technical twisty mountain roads or exclusive track driving. The roadsters are great because they give the impression that you are going much faster than you are. They handle well through the steering but the wet noodle chassis always gives you the impression that the car is near the limit even though its nowhere close.

Maintenance on these cars has been excellent. The DIY's and documentation, along with the community, really mean that you will not ever need a mechanic for much unless you want to. I have thoroughly enjoyed working on these cars and learning from the experience. Good luck! Hopefully you can find a car that suites your needs close to you!

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    For a Z3 in that mileage range, look at what fixes have been done. That can change the value of the car you're considering. I suggest making a list of the fixes that are commonly needed, costs, and use that to compare cars. When you are buying a car in the $5000 range, $2000 worth of maintenance matters. I've had a 2.8 Z3 and a Z3M, (I really suggest an M), but I am no expert on these cars. They are easier to work on than the Japanese sports cars I've had, but they have their flaws.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow14150 View Post
    I know a decent 98-00 M roadster can be had for $6000 or less here in Washington State in excellent condition under 120,000 miles.
    No it can't

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    No it can't
    If you know of any at that price please pm me.

I will take all you can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    z3
    Please save a couple for me... Id like an eb/black and an aw/red. You can have the rest

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Please save a couple for me... Id like an eb/black and an aw/red. You can have the rest
    Cash in hand and waiting.
    At $6k a pop I figure I can safely pick up 10 or so without bothering my bank manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    This thread makes me want to buy another Z3
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
    Originally Posted by dadmog
    ...but I have not regretted it and still turn around to look at it a I walk away in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by doclip View Post
    ^^ this
    Has the same affect on me too .
    Last edited by ArkansasTed; 05-03-2017 at 01:08 AM.
    2000 Atlanta Blue Z3 2.5L 5 speed manual with factory hartop.

My Cars
    98 z3 m roadster
    I've had two of z3m roadsters now. Maintenance really isn't bad. Tons of reading to do, but the nice thing about a 17+ year old car is so many are going though the same issues.
    Like others have said, you're likely to get an itch, and start fixing items that don't necessarily need fixing. I've spent ~1200 in the first 3 months taking care of most of the problematic areas, fan, oil, tran fluid, interior trim, door locks & Windows. The car is mint. But as an example, i need to do a shift pin service, which isn't imminent currently, it's just one of those itches that i'll take care of soon (are there off-season discounts at independent shops???) The more you read the more you'll want to change..

And use searches like "search tempest" and buyersguide to find one in your price point and go meet with a few sellers. Took me ~3 months to find a 98 M Roadster with ~65k miles with matching hardtop for 12k. No maintenance was done (or car faxable) since 2011.

Before that I got a 1999 m roadster 50k miles mint with service records for $14k (kyalami on black) just cause the seller bought another and his wife hated the interior. That one took me about a year to find cause i was being picky.

GREAT TIP: go to my.carfax and sign up. you can add any car by vin number. You'll be able to get an idea of a sellers service habits before you buy if they did not diy.
    Live, Laugh, Love, \\\M

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow14150 View Post
    A decent 98-00 M roadster can be had for $6000 or less here in Washington State in excellent condition under 120,000 miles.
    Oh ya they sit on every corner here in Washington State. There were so many cheep perfect S52 ///M's that I had a hard time deciding what one to get... In the end I found my car in Florida and had it shipped here.

for the current search in Seattle WA I see 6 Z3's none ///M no 3.0, 1 manual priced at 7k to 10k. Lets try to be honest about the price you will pay to gain entry in to the ///M Roadster club. (Most of the ///M Roadsters I see change hands for under $9,999 are junk!)
    Last edited by Tib; 05-04-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast