Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't decide 535 or 525

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by fo3 View Post
    Wasn't impressed with the 535i I saw. Power seemed down, like a 2L engine. That's just my feeling because it weighs about the same as the commodore I drove there (1500kg), and it shouldn't feel so much slower (commodore 170kw, this should have 155kw so should be in the same ballpark). Paint was knackered but so is every one I've seen australia wide, especially the manual versions for some reason. Passenger side heater seemed stuck on which can be pricey if it's not the valve could be the computer or controller.
    Looking at a 525 tomorrow. If that feels quicker then it confirms my feelings about that 535. If not, then back to square one, but maybe that doesn't have the paint and heater problems...

Might have to wait or fly interstate for the right one it seems and get something else to tide me over.
    It's going to be the valve 99% of the time.

My Cars
    some
    Yeah, but I've read a couple of people starting there and end up replacing the whole lot before it works. E: this is the one with climate control in degrees like the e32, not just the regular old style heater knobs.
    I was more concerned about the lack of power.
    Last edited by fo3; 05-20-2017 at 11:26 AM.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328, 1998 BMW 3
    535 for me but do let us know how it went with the 525. Good luck!

My Cars
    '89 535i/5, '88 735i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    It's going to be the valve 99% of the time.
    Or maybe a clogged cat?

Sent from my HTC_M10h using Tapatalk

My Cars
    some
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post
    Or maybe a clogged cat?

Sent from my HTC_M10h using Tapatalk
    Took me a while what that person meant too, I had a reply about compression and blocked cat typed out. They're talking about the heater, not low power.

Anyway, I bought the 525. The good: Very straight and clean, everything works, rebuilt head, new rad, water pump, fuel pump, thermofan. E: also looks like suspension work done by an earlier previous owner.
    Only problems are the battery and a coolant sensor fault reading out on the dash. They said the sensor in the head broke when they rebuilt the head. So I need that sensor.
    The battery in it is the wrong battery, it's loose and also a bit of a dud (leaking, ruined the under bonnet insulation), so I'll replace that tomorrow.

Doesn't set the world alight in acceleration either, slower than the 535, but I've only got australian domestics to compare it to, which are A LOT quicker at similar weight and power. And of course the biggest problem is it's automatic trans. But I'll just have to deal with that I guess, I'm getting old and slow anyway.

E: do these ECUs self learn and tune? I'm wondering if these owners are running 87/91 in it and it's retarding to stop knocking/pre-det?
    Last edited by fo3; 05-22-2017 at 06:49 AM.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    I recall that the ECUs do learn, yes. I've seen a few people say that disconnecting the battery for a while and reconnecting will reset the habits so you can make it learn faster. I think the knock sensor depends on the engine so it's a 50/50 but running it on premium couldn't hurt.

My Cars
    some
    By the way, that Victorian BMW wrecking yard wasn't interested in supplying or S+F a man conversion, or listing any parts cost. That's a downer as I had hopes for the 525 I just bought.
    They just said if I wanted a manual 535 buy one of theirs (facebook link) https://www.facebook.com/PeninsulaBm...type=3&theater
    The white one bottom right corner.

I would be tempted if I lived in vic, but buying unlicenced is too big a hassle. I've looked into it and could get a vic permit that is recognized in SA and WA in order to get it over here, but the caveat is only can drive dawn to dusk. That's going to add a couple of days to the journey at least, and lots of extra accommodation etc costs.
    I wouldn't of had a problem buying a licenced car that I could drive as much as I wanted and be home in 3-4 days. And not interested in a $1100 haulage plus another $350 flight home either. But a $500 blast across the country again I was well up for.
    Last edited by fo3; 05-23-2017 at 08:19 AM.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Your '91 will be non vanos with a 5 speed auto box. These figures are from my '92 owners manual which was the same:

Standing start km and 0-100kmph
    525i manual 29.9 and 9.2 seconds
    525i auto 30.9 and 10.0 seconds
    535i manual 29.0 and 8.4 seconds
    535i auto 29.9 and 9.3 seconds

Tried putting it in sport mode?

My Cars
    1989 535i
    By the way, that Victorian BMW wrecking yard wasn't interested in supplying or S+F a man conversion, or listing any parts cost.
    Wow that sucks. I was going to give them a call to see about some parts costs but now I'm wondering if I should even bother.

I hope you post up pics of the car though, I always enjoy seeing the before pics since most people do a giant detail and completely change the look of the car. I only wish I'd done the same since mine changed so much.

My Cars
    some
    I'm not going to mod mine at all. I mentioned earlier that a man conversion might be a long term aim, but that's if I end up living somewhere with a garage and can work on it.
    Main thing I'm going to do is fix problems (battery, rear door actuator, suspension, any oil leaks, possibly brakes and wheel bearing. Maybe go through the emissions and vacuum hoses and valves etc).

Maybe I'll do some restoration on it if it's low price stuff, eg some paint touch up, rubber seals, put back in the blue interior - it was originally all blue inside but cloth seats. Previous owner replaced the seats with beige/parchment leather seats, and changed the handbrake, shifter console, glovebox and drivers knee panel to the same beige/parchment to match.
    It still has the blue dash, carpets and door cards though. Right now I'm considering changing it all back to blue, but I don't mind the two tone. I'm not going to throw lots of money on something like this, but the seats are pretty worn and I've found a wrecking e34 with blue interior in my town (everything mechanical already stripped out so the shell isn't worth much), so should be cheap if I want to do it.
    After that, I'll just keep it as it is until I have a place to work on it and free money.

Maybe I'll stick a barra in it!

lrQfPyz.jpg
    Last edited by fo3; 05-24-2017 at 10:38 AM.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    When I meant changed I meant restoration (which is one of my favorite kinds) and there have been some great ones on this forum. I'm curious to see how that two tone looks though, I've only ever seen the blue interiors as being all blue.

My Cars
    some
    Ahh, Ok. Yeah most of it is going to be invisible. The only thing that wouldn't be is the blue interior put back.
    I put in some 98RON fuel and gave it an "Italian tune up". That just brought out an exhaust leak also going hard brought up a possible rear wheel bearing fail. But it goes well now, really comes on at around 4000rpm and power is satisfactory.
    Car is straight and good condition on the outside, but mechanically and interior wise it is a $2000 car That's fine, I'm happy to deal with mech and interior problems, I just didn;t want a car that needed rust repairs, welding, rubbing back to bare metal etc.

So first have to deal with mech problems. Also as you can see in the pic it's lowered and has a huge neg camber on the rear wheels. I've got to see if I can fix that as the inside tread on the tyres is low, need to swap them to the front pronto to get any type of economy out of them.
    I've chased up the seller of the wrecking e34, and he's behind on getting what he wants out of it, so 3-4 week delay there. I guess he bought it to pull the motor out for a 3 series project. That's fine for the seats, but there's a whole lot I need to get onto now. EG I was looking at hooking up a dash cam and getting power from the sunroof, but the interior panel for sunroof motor access is broken and was just glued on.
    I was hoping to get a good one from that wreck I mentioned rather than buy one from USA. The wheel bearings are maybe bad, was hoping to get stub axles from the wreck rather than pay $450 per side to a local shop for new ones fitted. Also considering original suspension from that car, ie raising it to fix the rear camber

So the fact there's a delay with the wreck means a few things. I'm looking at a rear camber kit from bavarian auto sport, along with the coolant sensor and spare sump plugs. So I might add some new interior bits to the order like the sunroof motor access panel (hopefully comes with tabs to hold it up), other trims and exhaust gaskets.
    Also I'm going to have a shop look at the rear bearings monday. I tried to take the wheels off to suss it out myself today but seriously one lug on each side felt like it would rather break than undo and I don't need that drama on my driveway.
    Last edited by fo3; 05-25-2017 at 08:20 AM.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Still, I'd enjoy seeing the interior getting restored. That's honestly my favorite part to see. I think most of the headliners are all the same colour so I don't think there should be an issue finding another sunroof motor panel. While you're in there you could probably attach a self dimming mirror if you find one, since the connector is hidden in there and is just plug and play. The ones from E32s work so it's fine if it's not from an E34 (which is true of many parts, both models can share just about anything).

I think for the bearings just go to a shop. It's not worth messing up the lugs.

My Cars
    some
    On monday going to a local shop to get them to look at a couple of things. If it's the wheel bearing they probably can't do the job same day, but I'll get their opinion on things and make an order from bav MS depending on what they say. If ordering from there they have the sunroof motor cover for $50 that I'll chuck onto the order.
    Then I'll take it back after receiving any parts from international or eastern states vendors and get everything mechanical I can't do at home sorted by the shop.

After the mech stuff sorted, I want to look at the all blue int wrecking e34 and decide whether to keep two tone or go all blue. I think his has the fold down front arm rests while mine doesn't and I kind of want them in an automatic car
    Either way, I'll get the cleaner/prep, crack filler and dye from PPC co that sells leatherique http://ppcco.com.au/leatherique03.html and take before and after photos.
    Last edited by fo3; 05-26-2017 at 07:32 AM.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    The fold downs are great and can be easily installed, I've removed and installed a few and it's relatively easy. Depending on how the two tone looks there's no problem with going back to all blue, curiously every E34 wreck I find these days seems to have a blue interior or tan interior. I've yet to see another black interior like my own anywhere.

The leatherique should go great since I've seen many projects use it and the results look incredible.

My Cars
    some
    What colour is your exterior? I haven't seen a black interior either, usually tan, parchment or grey. I went looking through my list of cars I was looking at to make sure and I shouldn't have done that
    http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...D-4218128&Cr=6
    I could of held off buying and had that!

White, black/grey interior, 535 with 60,000km on the recon motor. Something is off about the drivers door though. Different shade of white and not lined up right (too low)

Or this:
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bove...35i/1141574588

This one is a nice car to drop a m50 or m52 into
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/moun...ete/1124038019
    Last edited by fo3; 05-26-2017 at 09:32 AM.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    White, black/grey interior,

Or this:
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bove...35i/1141574588
    Mine is pretty much like this one, however mine is completely bone stock in every way since I'm an OEM kind of guy. The seats in that linked one also look really strange, I'm not sure if they're from factory or have been reupholstered?

I think with the E34 my favorite looks are two tone black and grey or two tone dark grey upper and then dove lower. There's a guy around the board that restored an M5 with the dove two tone which I'd love to do it to my own but pulling up all the interior trim doesn't sound like much fun at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12