Thread: e46 turn signal issue

My Cars
    323 Ci

Question e46 turn signal issue

Hi there, I have a turn signal issue on my 323 Ci MT (e46, year 2000... but that's obvious I guess ) that i'm hoping some of the guys on here can help me with as it has me stumped. I don't think it's a serious issue, but it does get a little annoying. I checked the forums for some information but I could not find anything.

When I indicate, the blinkers flash about 2-3 times the speed that they should flash for a few seconds. Here is the weird thing though:

1. The first time I use the right hand side turn signals they will flash fast.
    2. The second time I use the right hand side turn signals they will flash fast.
    3. Any subsequent use of the right hand side turn signals and they will flash at a normal rate.
    4. It never affects the left turn signal.

Here is where it gets a little more funky, after allowing the engine to get cold (some 8 hours later or the next day I use the car) I turn the hazard lights on for a few seconds, turn them off and then this is what happens when I use the turn signals:

1. The first time I use the right hand side turn signals they will flash at a normal rate.
    2. The second time I use the right hand side turn signals they will flash fast.
    3. Any subsequent use of the right hand side turn signals and they will flash at a normal rate.
    4. The first time I use the left hand side turn signals they will be normal.
    5. Any subsequent use of the left hand side turn signals and they will flash at a normal rate.

This is my first post so I apologize for any missing information. I bolded the text for right, and italicized underlined for left to make things a little more readable.

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    I've had all kinds of funky turn signal trouble on one of our E46s recently and I'll tell you what I found. The socket for the turn signal has two spring contacts in it - one that contacts the base of the bulb and one that contacts the tip (the soldered contact in the center of the bulb's insulator). Over time the center contact has displaced the solder on the tip such that it arcs and builds up some corrosion between the contact and the tip. This is an intermittent problem - and if you measure things with a DVM, everything will check out OK. I've fixed it by using a little fine Scotchbrite to clean the contacts (both of them; why not, you're in there anyway) and springing them out a little bit with a fine pair of pliers. I did this on both sides - if one has the problem, the other one likely isn't far behind. Then I threw away both bulbs (even though the filaments were fine) and replaced them. Haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.

My Cars
    323 Ci
    Thanks for the suggestion Jackson, I'll try that as soon as I am able to. I recently replaced the front corner lights (the whole assembly) so I doubt it will be those. I'll check the back sockets out. Does the same socket type exist for the side markers and should I check em too?

As a side note, I also replaced both rear turn signal bulbs as a just in case measure so I know it's not those.