Thread: Convertible Top Disaster

My Cars
    E34 540i, E39 M5

Convertible Top Disaster

Friend of mine has a 2010 Z4 with a weird bunch of problems. The car has 40000 km on it.

- Convertible Top doesn't retract
    - Windows don't work. We can get the front windows to go up via scanner but the rear windows do not move.
    - Trunk opening with the badge doesn't work.

The pump is getting a signal to operate but quits immediately. Water is getting into the trunk but after cleaning up the junction box by the battery there is no more rust or corrosion damage anywhere. Starting to think its the Convertible Top Module, but since they're expensive I would like to rule everything else out before we begin replacing modules.

After researching, I found the rear windows are controlled by Electronic Junction Box 2 in the passenger footwell. People at BMW have said that the windows do not move because there is a failsafe activated. Which is caused by the Convertible Top Module being fried.

This car is becoming a nightmare for me. I just want to get it sorted. Its been sitting for a month now.

Are there any test procedures for the roof? Has anyone had a similar problem before?
    '95 540i - Cosmos on Black
    '01 M5 - TiAg

My Cars
    E34 540i, E39 M5
    Update -

Took apart convertible top motor, found lots of water in it. Cleaned things up, tested with a 12v power source and put it back in with no change. Windows still don't roll up, key fob buttons dont work or interact with vehicle (havent narrowed it down yet) trunk open buttons dont work, but still can open trunk via scanner.

Now when we scan the car. The only convertible top fault we get is "A69F Relay 1 for Hardtop Open" Going to change relay tomorrow and check around.

How can I test for faulty microswitches/hall sensors? There are no codes from them.

Has anyone manually opened the convertible top on these E89's?