Thread: ZF Transmission Rebuild?

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe, 01 Sable!DD

ZF Transmission Rebuild?

I have a question reguarding the ZF trans in my 98 M3. I am going to be putting the car down to do some repairs. It has almost 149k on it & I have owned it since 63k I have had the occasional grind & the input shaft bearing has been making noise since my throw out bearing exploded at 108k & installed a UUC clutch flywheel combo. I have rebuilt/put new syncros in a few transmissions but have not been able to source any parts for the ZF trans. Are these serviceable transmissions? Can they be rebuilt or do I need to look around for a good used trans if mine gets too bad? Thanks, Elliot.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    You can buy a rebuilt tranny from BMW, but there are no parts. Used is your best option.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    I recently saw a thread that showed how to rebuild a couple problem parts for this transmission. From memory it was showing to replace the bushings (shift pins)that the shift linkage uses and more.
    I would search for it but if I can find it I will post the link. It was pretty good at addressing 5th gear and reverse.
    \
    I did find it see if this helps any
    http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplass...hift_pins.html

My Cars
    1985 535i
    That looks like it's only the detent pins. but can you buy input/output shaft bearings? I think im in need of one.

My Cars
    E36 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31
    Quote Originally Posted by eMpowerd3 View Post
    I have a question reguarding the ZF trans in my 98 M3. I am going to be putting the car down to do some repairs. It has almost 149k on it & I have owned it since 63k I have had the occasional grind & the input shaft bearing has been making noise since my throw out bearing exploded at 108k & installed a UUC clutch flywheel combo. I have rebuilt/put new syncros in a few transmissions but have not been able to source any parts for the ZF trans. Are these serviceable transmissions? Can they be rebuilt or do I need to look around for a good used trans if mine gets too bad? Thanks, Elliot.
    Contact Jim Blanton at http://www.performancegearing.com/ and he can give you guidance. Best way is by email.

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe, 01 Sable!DD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
    Contact Jim Blanton at http://www.performancegearing.com/ and he can give you guidance. Best way is by email.
    Thank you very much.

My Cars
    335i 4dr 6MT black/black
    Why wouldn't you just buy a used one from a salvage? They're as low as $175 on car-part. I ask because I've got a leaking output seal and 3rd gear grind and am wondering if it wouldn't be better to replace mine (166k) with a used one w/ a 6 mo warranty from a 528i with 100k for that price. I'm new so please take it easy if this is a dumb question.

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe, 01 Sable!DD
    What site is selling them for $175 with a 6 month warranty? I want to rebuild mine just as a personal preference. I work in a perfromance machine shop & like to do things myself if possible. But if it comes down to relpacing it with a used one for that price I can't complain!

My Cars
    335i 4dr 6MT black/black

My Cars
    99 M3
    The 1995 M3 came with a ZF S5D310Z.
    The 1996+ E36 M3, the 328, and the E39 528 came with the ZF S5D320Z. Very few people have the tools required to open these transmission up. Metric Mechanic is one of few that rebuilds them.

Did you replace the pilot bearing in the crankshaft when you installed the clutch?

Shift detent pins are a common DIY repair with eBay tools.