Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: This aftermarket radio could pass for 80's / 90's Factory OEM

My Cars
    1993 BMW 525i

This aftermarket headunit could pass for 80's / 90's Factory OEM

If you're looking for an OEM looking radio for an older BMW, may I suggest the Continental / VDO line. I just installed the Continental TR7411U in my E34. Looks like it could be factory IMO. The only place in the USA that I could find selling it though is egauges.com: http://www.egauges.com/Orange-LED-Ra...lt-s/33236.htm

I was also interested in the Kienzle MCR 1014, but I couldnt find it annywere in the US or even on EBAY

if you have any other OEM looking aftermarket radios please post.
    Last edited by RobbiesE34; 05-13-2017 at 10:29 PM.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

This is a very good contender for those owners looking for an oem look head unit and who are looking to simply update to modern features and technology. This type of BMW owner makes up a significant proportion and one for their shortlist at the price range of the various models in the lineup.

For those who are looking for higher quality audio performance, then the oem looks become less important and there's then a good number of choices from the likes of Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood etc which provide those significantly better sounding/performing units.

I had my lovely E34 525i Sport from late 99 to early 2004, and installed a modest audio system which had an Alpine CD/Tuner in that stock location and an Alpine electronic display/Equaliser in the ashtray just below - I could pull the ashtray out when using the audio and back in to hide the display when parked.Overall, that setup sounded brilliant with the components I chose.

A link to my writeup and some pictures from some years back - http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/16786-...-hifi-install/

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Yes, it does look as if it belongs. Most modern sets look foolish to me eye, especially in such a austere setting as the E34's simple dashboard. Nice choice. Let me know if you'd like to replace that a/c button

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1989 325ic
    That does have a very nice, "near-stock" look to it. The Continental logo is a nice touch, given that so many of our cars shipped with their tires.

After fairly extensive online searches for a "near-stock look" HU, I blew the $300 on a CD43. It looks great in the dash, and works pretty well so far, but its sound quality is no great shakes even with all new speakers/wiring and a couple powered mini bass boxes. If I had it to do over, and I'd known about your Continental, I'd likely have gone the same route as you.

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport
    I bet you could erase the continental with a q tip and some acetone!
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5