Thread: Successful Bluetooth install

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5

Successful Bluetooth install

Just installed a factory Bluetooth module. Once I paired it to my phone I can now send and receive calls using the buttons on the steering wheel. It instantly pairs itself to the car as soon as I turn on the ignition. I wish I could stream music through it but it's not setup that way. I'll probably get a Bluetooth enabled head unit to replace my stock unit.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 1995 325is
    Where did you get it and where does it plug into the head unit?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Unfortunately the factory BT was created before streaming music was popular so the only thing the factory BT is capable of is sending and receiving calls. You can download your phone book into the car and use the buttons to scroll through your phone book. Sorry but no speed dial. Every time you want to make a call you have to scroll through the phone book. As you scroll through the names and phone numbers are displayed on the head unit. I bought a BT module and BT antennae on eBay. Antennae was about $15. Module was about $45. It's 100% plug and play. No coding required.

My Cars
    03 M3 00 740i 98 528i
    This is why I went with a Grom audio setup with my cars. Replaces factory CD changer, easy to install, design for BMW's and also utilizes all steering wheel controls and the Bluetooth phone goes thru the factory head unit via the changer ibus.
    2000 740i - 149K - Dville Monsoon rear deck speaker upgrade, GROM audio Bluetooth
    1998 528i - 204K - GROM audio Bluetooth setup, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, BSW Stage One speaker kit, Facelift Xenon's with Angel Eyes
    2003 M3 - 210K - BMW Euro Cross Drilled Rotors

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Unfortunately I did not find out about the lack of audio streaming until after I purchased the BT module. I'm looking at a lot of different options. I don't want to spend $700 on a Dynavin. The slightly cheaper ***** looks like it has some serious quality issues. The current head unit has pixel issues so I'd like to replace it but can't find one that looks decent.

Still its a working BT that I can send and receive calls with. No more tickets for using a mobile device while driving.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 1995 325is
    Where does it plug into the head unit? I already have a audio connector in the CD changer slot on the head unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Unfortunately the factory BT was created before streaming music was popular so the only thing the factory BT is capable of is sending and receiving calls. You can download your phone book into the car and use the buttons to scroll through your phone book. Sorry but no speed dial. Every time you want to make a call you have to scroll through the phone book. As you scroll through the names and phone numbers are displayed on the head unit. I bought a BT module and BT antennae on eBay. Antennae was about $15. Module was about $45. It's 100% plug and play. No coding required.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Nothing plugs into the head unit. My car came prewired for the BMW car phone. Apparently a lot of e46s came prewired for that option. The BT antennae installs below the rear ashtray of the center console. The harness connectors is already there. The BT module was a little tricky but I think that's because I have a vert. The Phone Control module is mounted in the trunk. You remove the phone module. It has a large black connector and a purple antennae type connector. Plug the black connector into the BT module. Next to the purple connector is a beige antennae connector. Attach the beige one to the other end of the BT module. Zip tie the purple one somewhere so it doesn't rattle. That's it. You're installed. Accessing the phone module in a vert is a pain. It's in the back of the trunk. Just out of arms reach so you're constantly hanging half in and half out of the trunk.

The 4 digit key code/pairing code is printed on the outside of the module. Write it down. Under the arm rest and below the cupholders/coin holder is a 18 pin black connector. Put a jumper wire across pin 1 and pin 17. Turn on BT on your phone. Turn on the ignition and wait a few seconds. Turn on the radio. Now pull out the jumper. The radio should say PAIRING. Enter the 4 digit access code into your phones BT screen. You're done. I put the jumper wire back into the connector invade I get a new phone. Unless that happens you'll never need to pair anything again. Store the key code some where. As long as you have BT turned on on your phone it will automatically pair with the car as soon as you get in and turn the key

listen it's an ancient system with limited features but it does what I want it to for now. I'll figure something out for music later. I'm not a fan of satellite radio or pandora. I use an ap called TUNEIN. Let's me stream just about any radio station in the country.
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 05-13-2017 at 02:57 PM.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 1995 325is
    Thanks. All I care about is the telephone usage. I already have CD, MP3CD, Ipod connector, AUX input for Sirius, oh and the radio. I've got plenty of music. I won't answer or use my phone wile driving unless I can do it hands free.

I also have the vert. I remember you from all of your great posts on the e36 forum.
    Last edited by curry; 05-14-2017 at 05:41 PM.