My Cars
    E70 X5

Pulsating hum/vibration from front end

New to the forum so firstly I just wanted to say hello! Secondly, I'm having a hard time diagnosing an issue I'm having and was hoping the collective experience of everyone here could help out. I have a 2008 4.8i and I experience a pulsating hum/vibration from roughly 30mph-60mph. It could be present at other speeds but most noticeable in that range. It does not seem to be RPM dependent but rather somewhat speed dependent. I have searched and searched but it is so hard to describe sounds and there can also be many different issues causing similar sounds. The best I can describe it is a wuuuuh, wuuuuh, wuuuuh sound. As speed increases while driving straight it speeds up a little to a wuuh, wuuh, wuuh. While taking a left hand curve it becomes a constant wuuuuuuuuuuuh. While taking a right right curve it speeds up to a wuh, wuh, wuh, wuh. It never gets louder as in volume. Its always the same. The only thing that changes is the frequency of the pulses. I have had the tires balanced and rotated several times now and its always the same. Its not following a specific wheel/tire. Its definitely coming from the front and more noticeably from the left side if Im not mistaken. I had the left front wheel bearing replaced last July. The left rear wheel bearing is being replaced next week as it is starting to go. The dealer replacing it says both front wheel bearings are fine. Another local dealer here in Columbus says both front bearings are bad. The sound doesnt seem like a bad bearing to me. Also putting a load on the front bearings doesnt make the sound louder so I dont think that is the cause. Do you all think it could be the front diff? Or something else? I apologize for this rambling post. Hopefully someone can make sense of it. By the way, the tires are Yokohamas and are exactly 12 months old.

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4
    I have similar symptoms, mine appear to be from the right front, with vibrations felt in steering wheel and "seat of pants". The vibration starts at 35 mph and stays about the same up to about 80, tire and road noise does drown it out at speed. During PPI system checks were done, no bearing noise, mounts and control arm bushings are good. My indy mechanic suspects a stiff u-joint in one of drive shafts.

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    For what it's worth, I'd also suspect a driveshaft joint.