Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 996 Brembo brake project

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by UK MCOUPE View Post
    I have the same set up on my M Coupe and it works well, a couple of things to note is the discs/rotors are handed and from the last picture they are fitted the wrong way round - part number ending 445 should be on the left side, also you can use part number 34111123072 as the disc retaing bolt for the front discs which is a smaller version of the one pictured.
    I got the smaller rotor screws in on the front.

I was wondering about direction of the holes, I thought if they matched on each side I was good.

Thanks for the heads up.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Small project from today.

When the blower went in late 2011, the intake setup was a bit ghetto. Dryer vent hose and all, but it worked. Later on I installed different headlights which butt up against the hose and MAF which kept the headlight from sitting right not allowing the corner fastener to snug it down.

I saw the filter was gunky which had something to do with driving around with no splash-guards or undertrays. Just an FYI, I bought all new trays and splashguards. This was an excuse to try a new AEM dry filter and redo the piping with 4" silicone. I also modded the MAF and removed the 4 mounting tabs to buy myself more headlight clearance.

The location of the filter had deleted the OEM brake ducts. I wanted to mod the duct to sit in place and look more oem, hold the filter in place ans MAYBE funnel the air better to the filter sort of RAM AIR'ish. I used a hot pen knife and trimmed away.

I doubt its really does anything in the ram air affect but it works as intended and now I have both air ducts again.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    FYI i just installed 996 calipers on the rear of my coupe... they squealed like crazy. Looking into it the porsche mounts the caliper on the front of the rear wheels and the BWM mounts them on the rear. The calipers have a small piston and a bigger one, the small one is suppose to hit the leading edge of the rotor. I had to flip mine around left to right, they are much better now.

My guess is that the pads were being pressed harder on the leading edge causing them to make noise.... the way i have them now they have the higher pressure on the tail end.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
    FYI i just installed 996 calipers on the rear of my coupe... they squealed like crazy. Looking into it the porsche mounts the caliper on the front of the rear wheels and the BWM mounts them on the rear. The calipers have a small piston and a bigger one, the small one is suppose to hit the leading edge of the rotor. I had to flip mine around left to right, they are much better now.

My guess is that the pads were being pressed harder on the leading edge causing them to make noise.... the way i have them now they have the higher pressure on the tail end.

Hmm, good to know. I will keep that in mind.

I am still halted by the brake lines. I should have some help this week. I have since swapped out my leaking VSL rad for a Mishimoto(warrantied) and bought a Mishimoto expansion tank.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    IMG_5127.jpgI put 100miles in the rear pads before I swapped them around. It took a bit to get them sounding right again once I flipped the calipers around. I should of swapped the pads when I switched the calipers.
    Last edited by fallguy; 06-07-2017 at 12:45 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
    Hmm, good to know. I will keep that in mind.

I am still halted by the brake lines. I should have some help this week. I have since swapped out my leaking VSL rad for a Mishimoto(warrantied) and bought a Mishimoto expansion tank.
    Interesting, i am going to check that out on my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Finally done!

I had to do a lot more trimming on the rear dust shields.

I love how the big rotors filled out the wheels.

Very happy with the results. No noise, great pedal feel. Impressed my wife with some 40-0 stops. My other Brembo equipped car is good, these are great.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    I private messaged with fallguy who was very helpful. But I have still questions.

1. Do I need (again) new brakelines for front brembos to work? I have currently 3.0 front brakes.
    2. How does the ABS / brake sensor fit? Does it need to be Porsche one or can I use BMW one? Is the connector same in both?
    3. Just confirming that with my current non-M front hub I need to buy also this small part: 34111123072

Thanks for answers!

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Are the caliper numbers for rear brembos: Porsche Part No - 996.352.421 996.352.422

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    Are the caliper numbers for rear brembos: Porsche Part No - 996.352.421 996.352.422

Per Rally Road site:

The Porsche caliper part numbers for this conversion are:

996.352.421 (driver side)

996.352.422 (passenger side)

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    About the dust shields: does CSL or Z4M shield fit bolt on with my non-M coupe? And does Z3M coupe dust shield fit into back with my non-M coupe parkingbrake?

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    About the dust shields: does CSL or Z4M shield fit bolt on with my non-M coupe? And does Z3M coupe dust shield fit into back with my non-M coupe parkingbrake?
    I trimmed down my dust shields, dont know about other bolt on options. I know I need a $40-50 kit of E46 brake shoes to get my parking brake back.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Okay, I went with the polish guy and his weird system. Just paid the guy hopefully see the product some day.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    Okay, I went with the polish guy and his weird system. Just paid the guy hopefully see the product some day.
    For the non M cars i think he is the only option for the rears.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Do you guys use Brake Pad Vibration Dampers with pads?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm doing the same setup right now. But on a 3.0L. I got the calipers for 75$ each on car-part.com and got them powder coated red for 80$
    Holy shit, deal of the century, I paid 530€ for the fronts alone and they are in bad shape...

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    Jamesons Viggen
    I trimmed down my dust shields, dont know about other bolt on options. I know I need a $40-50 kit of E46 brake shoes to get my parking brake back.
    When you use the E46 park brake shoes can you still use the Z hardware? springs etc.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3 M Roadster View Post
    When you use the E46 park brake shoes can you still use the Z hardware? springs etc.

Not sure, haven't done it yet.

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    Ok, maybe I'll just buy the shoes and see if the hardware from the Z works...

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Slight update from mine for no reason, bought so far:
    -Boxster S front and rear calipers from UK
    -ATE CSL/Z4M front discs and ATE M3/Z3M rear discs from germany
    -Front caliper carriers from Creation Motorsport in UK.
    -New pads and sliders/locking pins and few other parts from various sources in EU
    -one caliper cylinder dustshield from Sweden
    -CAD images for rear caliper carrier and handbrake cylinder from Poland.
    -Calipers are now up north with my friend Finland being blasted, coated and rebuilt
    -One friend in is doing rear caliper carriers from aluminium in eastern Finland
    -Another one just burn cut cylinder preform in middle Finland and sending them soon
    -those will be manually turned here by fourth here in southern Finland
    -handbrake stuff from germany, will need some parts locally from stealership too.

After those are all done I will need to propably get longer rear stainless braided lines again (done last summer with custom HEL performance).
    And then I should be somewhat set for install.

If you have loose cash and like to spend time spending this is a great hobby. But for me it has been slightly painful to realize how much is needed to be done and take in consideration. But I will be first one to do this in my country so that's great.

My Cars
    2018 X4 M40i
    Assuming they will squeal as badly as a Hawk Street/Track pad will...
    2018 X4 M40i

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by Telecomtodd View Post
    Assuming they will squeal as badly as a Hawk Street/Track pad will...
    I have HAWK HPS on ALL of my cars and they are squeal free.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    Slight update from mine for no reason, bought so far:
    -Boxster S front and rear calipers from UK
    -ATE CSL/Z4M front discs and ATE M3/Z3M rear discs from germany
    -Front caliper carriers from Creation Motorsport in UK.
    -New pads and sliders/locking pins and few other parts from various sources in EU
    -one caliper cylinder dustshield from Sweden
    -CAD images for rear caliper carrier and handbrake cylinder from Poland.
    -Calipers are now up north with my friend Finland being blasted, coated and rebuilt
    -One friend in is doing rear caliper carriers from aluminium in eastern Finland
    -Another one just burn cut cylinder preform in middle Finland and sending them soon
    -those will be manually turned here by fourth here in southern Finland
    -handbrake stuff from germany, will need some parts locally from stealership too.

After those are all done I will need to propably get longer rear stainless braided lines again (done last summer with custom HEL performance).
    And then I should be somewhat set for install.

If you have loose cash and like to spend time spending this is a great hobby. But for me it has been slightly painful to realize how much is needed to be done and take in consideration. But I will be first one to do this in my country so that's great.
    Im actually going to be looking at a custom hat for a willwood or brembro rotor for the rears. The E36 M3 rotors are a tad small for the 996 calipers, the pads run over the sides of the disk a little. It works but im just looking at another option down the road. this way the hats would work with the rear ebrake shoes

My Cars
    2018 X4 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
    I have HAWK HPS on ALL of my cars and they are squeal free.
    Outstanding yours are quiet. Mine sing in four part harmony. Know of several folks with the same. I'm using Zimmerman coated rotors too.
    2018 X4 M40i

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Telecomtodd View Post
    Outstanding yours are quiet. Mine sing in four part harmony. Know of several folks with the same. I'm using Zimmerman coated rotors too.
    I never had issues with Hawk HPS, but HP plus are squeal city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Im actually going to be looking at a custom hat for a willwood or brembro rotor for the rears. The E36 M3 rotors are a tad small for the 996 calipers, the pads run over the sides of the disk a little. It works but im just looking at another option down the road. this way the hats would work with the rear ebrake shoes
    Ok. Good to know. Did you need to change the U-shaped brakeline from end to other end because Porsche has calipers in front side of the wheel hub and bmw has rear wards from the hub?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast