Thread: Keys Needed - 1996 740 IL

My Cars
    1996 740IL

Keys Needed - 1996 740 IL

Just picked her up yesterday, and of course, there is only 1 ignition key (I always wonder were the "other" key winds up). Where is the best place to source a couple of original (or as close to original) keys from? Will be posting some pics as soon as she is cleaned up a bit. As I get more time on the forum, I'm sure I'll become more familiar with sourcing parts and supporting vendors, so bear with me for the time being.

Regards, Chris.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Chris
    You will need the title and bring it to any BMW dealer they will order you more keys .

Here is what the difference keys look like

or you can get this set here which to me it work the money
    http://www.rmsonlinestore.com/This-i...ey-Set-E38.htm
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    1996 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    Chris
    You will need the title and bring it to any BMW dealer they will order you more keys .

Here is what the difference keys look like

or you can get this set here which to me it work the money

Franco: Thanks. I was hoping to not have to go to the Dealership and pay top $$$, but I know some things may be unavoidable, especially with something like keys. The key I have is different than the 3 pictured above, but if the dealer is the only way, then so be it. I'll wait a few days to see if anyone else responds as well. Never know if someone may have a NOS key lying around. Appreciate the response.

Regards, Chris

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Chris
    Look at the link below and the pic was for reference

Franco
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    1996 740IL
    Thanks. I just called my local dealer for reference, and they quoted me $228 clams. Have you ever seen this website?

https://www.remotesremotes.com/Produ...FZS6wAodfUgPlQ

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisannagenna View Post
    ...I was hoping to not have to go to the Dealership and pay top $$$, but I know some things may be unavoidable, especially with something like keys. The key I have is different than the 3 pictured above, but if the dealer is the only way, then so be it. ...

Regards, Chris
    The dealer is not the ONLY way...but for new owners that don't know or understand what EWS, FZV, and DWA is...then the dealer is the safest & easiest way to get additional keys.

The pic that was posted shows the "other" non-remote keys that are available that many new owners don't know about...plus they cost a whole lot less than a new REMOTE KEY. If all you need is a spare/back-up key...then the non-remote keys can be a choice that may get you in the door for approx $45-$100...unlike the cost of a new remote key that some BMW dealerships will gouge you for about $200 or more.

ALL BMW keys (remote & non remote) have an EWS transponder in it. Without that transponder...which also has an ISN (individual serial number) that is unique to YOUR vehicle based on it's VIN...the car WILL NOT start. This unique ISN was burned into your car's ECU/DME and EWS control module before it rolled off the assembly line at the plant in Dingolfing Germany. At that time, 10 coded key slots were burned into your EWS control module...plus that data is kept in a BMW database. That's why it is an easy/simple process to go to your local BMW dealership with proof of ownership and the car's VIN to get new keys. They send off your order and in a couple of days, a new "cut & coded" key is sent to you already to go. It will start your car, and match all of your keyed lock cylinders.

If you go aftermarket/online/etc...then YOU need to know what is required so that you understand some of the false/incorrect information some vendors tell you. BMWs that require coded keys start with a 1/95 build date (when EWS II was introduced). So, older BMWs don't have to jump through the same hoops as you do...and some online sellers don't understand it or don't care to understand it...and just want to sell you a key that may eventually turn out to just be a nice bobble that you can turn into an amulet to hang around your neck because it doesn't have the EWS transponder inside of it...plus it may be uncut and have the wrong blade type, and you may not even be able to find a local keysmith that could cut the blade correctly.

Aftermarket keys will need the correct key blade plus have someone that can laser cut it correctly...and you'll need to find someone that has the software/hardware to retrieve your car's ISN from either your EWS control module or DME...then burn that ISN into the correct type of EEPROM (transponder chip) that can be placed inside the key...so that you'll be able to start the vehicle. If you can find that person...then go for it...you might be able to save yourself a few bucks.

Type of available keys for a 1996 e38 (from the dealership):

(old style remote keys + valet key)

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Thanks. I just called my local dealer for reference, and they quoted me $228 clams. Have you ever seen this website?

https://www.remotesremotes.com/Produ...FZS6wAodfUgPlQ

I would not do it KEY probably wont work
    listen to Q
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    1996 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    The dealer is not the ONLY way...but for new owners that don't know or understand what EWS, FZV, and DWA is...then the dealer is the safest & easiest way to get additional keys.

The pic that was posted shows the "other" non-remote keys that are available that many new owners don't know about...plus they cost a whole lot less than a new REMOTE KEY. If all you need is a spare/back-up key...then the non-remote keys can be a choice that may get you in the door for approx $45-$100...unlike the cost of a new remote key that some BMW dealerships will gouge you for about $200 or more.

ALL BMW keys (remote & non remote) have an EWS transponder in it. Without that transponder...which also has an ISN (individual serial number) that is unique to YOUR vehicle based on it's VIN...the car WILL NOT start. This unique ISN was burned into your car's ECU/DME and EWS control module before it rolled off the assembly line at the plant in Dingolfing Germany. At that time, 10 coded key slots were burned into your EWS control module...plus that data is kept in a BMW database. That's why it is an easy/simple process to go to your local BMW dealership with proof of ownership and the car's VIN to get new keys. They send off your order and in a couple of days, a new "cut & coded" key is sent to you already to go. It will start your car, and match all of your keyed lock cylinders.

If you go aftermarket/online/etc...then YOU need to know what is required so that you understand some of the false/incorrect information some vendors tell you. BMWs that require coded keys start with a 1/95 build date (when EWS II was introduced). So, older BMWs don't have to jump through the same hoops as you do...and some online sellers don't understand it or don't care to understand it...and just want to sell you a key that may eventually turn out to just be a nice bobble that you can turn into an amulet to hang around your neck because it doesn't have the EWS transponder inside of it...plus it may be uncut and have the wrong blade type, and you may not even be able to find a local keysmith that could cut the blade correctly.

Aftermarket keys will need the correct key blade plus have someone that can laser cut it correctly...and you'll need to find someone that has the software/hardware to retrieve your car's ISN from either your EWS control module or DME...then burn that ISN into the correct type of EEPROM (transponder chip) that can be placed inside the key...so that you'll be able to start the vehicle. If you can find that person...then go for it...you might be able to save yourself a few bucks.

Type of available keys for a 1996 e38 (from the dealership):

(old style remote keys + valet key)

Appreciate the info. There's always 1 member on each forum that seems to have all the answers. I may be able to stumble across something, however to your point, I may just have to cut to the chase and get it from the dealer. I wanted to get 2 keys, but paying another $228 bucks for something to have just sit in a drawer, is not my idea of intelligent spending. I'll work it out, and thanks again for the detailed information.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Q is the Guru when it comes to POSTS
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Appreciate the info. There's always 1 member on each forum that seems to have all the answers. I may be able to stumble across something, however to your point, I may just have to cut to the chase and get it from the dealer. I wanted to get 2 keys, but paying another $228 bucks for something to have just sit in a drawer, is not my idea of intelligent spending. I'll work it out, and thanks again for the detailed information.
    Just to clarify...if all you need is a spare/backup key that will be in the drawer 99% of its life...then consider the non remote keys (iluminated, metal blade spare, or plastic spare)...they usually go for much less even in the regions where the dealers gouge with no abandon.

I don't recommend the valet key (has gray head) as the backup key because the trunk is the #1 location owners usually end up locking their key inside...& the valet key won't open the trunk...so you'll still be locked out.

Having at least one backup key is highly recommended...some of the worst threads include the words..."and I only have 1 key".
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-11-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    1996 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Just to clarify...if all you need is a spare/backup key that will be in the drawer 99% of its life...then consider the non remote keys (iluminated, metal blade spare, or plastic spare)...they usually go for much less even in the regions where the dealers gouge with no abandon.

I don't recommend the valet key (has gray head) as the backup key because the trunk is the #1 location owners usually end up locking their key inside...& the valet key won't open the trunk...so you'll still be locked out.

Having at least one backup key is highly recommended...some of the worst threads include the words..."and I only have 1 key".

Agreed. I just went to the dealer, and they charged me $208 for an additional key. Should be here in a day or so. I will search around for a non remote key in the upcoming days. Is that one that you can get at a Home Depot or Lowe's?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    ...I will search around for a non remote key in the upcoming days. Is that one that you can get at a Home Depot or Lowe's?
    How would Home Depot or Lowe's get the ISN information to burn the transponder chip needed for the non remote key to start the car? I've never seen them advertise that they have diagnostic equipment that can hook up to your BMW to communicate with the EWS control module or ECU to retrieve the ISN...nor have I seen them advertise they have software/hardware to burn the appropriate EEPROM any BMW key would need.

As mentioned in all the replies above...ALL keys (remote & non remotes) have a transponder chip inside them that are burned with the ISN that matches the EWS & ECU modules in your car. The non remote keys are ordered from the dealer too...that's why the pics above have the 11 digit BMW part nbr listed.

FYI...when the new remote comes in...you will need to program the FZV & DWA features. Its easy as pie...see the instructions below. WARNING!!! Both your old & new remotes will need to be reinitialized during the SAME session. If you initialize only one remote...the one not present will no longer lock/unlock (FZV) & arm/disarm (DWA) the vehicle. It will still be able to start, thought (EWS)

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-12-2017 at 11:25 PM.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I purchased the Illuminated key from the dealer a few years back for $70, or so, for my backup. Keys are one thing I would do dealer only, IMO.

My Cars
    98 740iL-98 p38
    My story....not sure if uncommon but....car came with 1 key so I ordered replacement from dealer. Went to pick it up and a tech got in and coded it to my car but could not get it to work. After an hour or so they said my tumblers were old and worn so the new key wouldn't work and I'd need new tumblers @ $700. I told them thanks but no thanks and that I'd like to return the new key and get my $260 back....sorry no refunds on keys. Went home pissed but decided to try something. Took a wire brush then steel wool to the new key and boom, worked fine.