Thread: '03-'05 vs '06-'08 Z4's: opinions??

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp

'03-'05 vs '06-'08 Z4's: opinions??

I've got over 200k miles on a Z3, and am looking for a touring car roadster. ... originally bought the Z3 as a corner straightener, but turned out to be a cross-country touring car... so this time I'm going with an Elise as the corner straightener and looking for a more comfortable long distance touring car. I think I've settled on a '06-'08 Z4: I like the idea of the 6sp AT, but still want the rag top [very turned off by the later version mechanical hardtop - wouldn't ever consider such]. The Z3 is a 2.5, so I thought either a 2.5 or 3.0 Z4 was viable... but in reading it seems that the 3.0 gets a longer legged rear ratio, so with the 6sp gets the same mileage as the 2.5, but has an extra 30 or so hp for free. ... have done all the maintenance on the Z3 [down to rear main seals, rebuild VANOS etc] and plan on doing likewise on a 4.. just wondering what other's experiences have been on such. Many thanks.

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    The 3.0i M54 in the 03-06(Pre-facelift) is a gem of a motor and there is a fair bit of aftermarket support to increase power if so,inclined. Check my siggy.
    The 3.0si N52 in the 06-08 (mid year change I believe, others correct me please) is also very nice with 30-40 extra hp but very little aftermarket power adders.

Both would make great long distance drivers imo
    For me a roadster should have a manual trans....sorry.
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

My Cars
    Zed4
    Facelift 3.0si = best car < ///M

My Cars
    z3
    Get a 3.0si and never look back. IMO its the best engine they ever put in the Z4, the rock solid relaible "last of the N/A" I6 N52. The later years come with all the good features you'll want (auto headlights, stuff like that) in a comfortable yet sporty package.

And yes the Z4's are better touring cars than Z3's, but honestly not by a long shot. The stiffness of the chassis actually works against them a little bit in that regard.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2007 Z4C, 2012 Tacoma
    I agree on the N52 recommendation. I'm fairly new to BMWs but everything I read seems to say they're quite reliable. Plastic water pump vanes so change it early and often, VANOS maintenance, that's about it engine wise. FCABs need replacing pretty early. Windshield rubber trim and plastic valence under wipers don't hold up well. Small stuff.

I have a 2007 3.0si coupe. It has more power than the prior Z3M in a better chassis. I'm not in love with the electric steering but it doesn't really bother me that much either. If I change anything from stock it will be a LSD. I've done 12-hour trips in the car, just stopping when the gas tank needed filling (and mine needed emptying). Nearly 30MPG on long hauls if that matters to you. Long gearing.

Find a 3.0si with decent miles and service records and don't look back.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by wdb View Post
    I agree on the N52 recommendation. I'm fairly new to BMWs but everything I read seems to say they're quite reliable. Plastic water pump vanes so change it early and often, VANOS maintenance, that's about it engine wise. FCABs need replacing pretty early. Windshield rubber trim and plastic valence under wipers don't hold up well. Small stuff.

I have a 2007 3.0si coupe. It has more power than the prior Z3M in a better chassis. I'm not in love with the electric steering but it doesn't really bother me that much either. If I change anything from stock it will be a LSD. I've done 12-hour trips in the car, just stopping when the gas tank needed filling (and mine needed emptying). Nearly 30MPG on long hauls if that matters to you. Long gearing.

Find a 3.0si with decent miles and service records and don't look back.
    Sounds like you're a little bit ahead of me, but on the same path... but plastic waterpump impellor, again - didn't they learn from the M52 motors?? :-( And I assume the VANOS is the same as the M52TUB, ie, replace the seals? What's with the FCABs - on my Z3 I upgraded to the solid ///M ones and eliminated the tramlining: wonder if I have that same option on the Z4? ... one of the things that made a huge huge huge difference on the Z3 was the seat tilt mod: how adjustable are the seats? You done multiple 12 hr trips.. are you able to adjust it to what you need, or do I need to do a tilt mod again? ... on the Z3 16" wheels was part of the answer for realworld roads on load tours... on the Si, aren't you forced to 18"s, ie, short sidewalls? I was thinking the 3.0i so that the 17's came with it... but what's your experience?... many thanks for your input.

My Cars
    '07 Z4 3.0si Roadster
    On the N52 motor, the water pump is electric. While they can, and do, fail, it is not like the 60K mile guaranteed failure of the earlier motors.

Only the 3.0si's with the sport package came with the 18" wheels and staggered tire sizes. Those without the sport package come with 17" wheels.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Just checking on Autotrader really quick, It looks like an 03-06 M54 with low miles is going to run between $12-15k. Whereas a 06-09 N52 $17-22k.

I'm not going to pretend that the N52 isn't better or that the later models don't have more features. If you can find a really good one at a really good price, then go for it. It will probably come down to what is on the market around you.

My Cars
    z3
    Those prices are way higher than what I'd ever pay. A sub-100k 3.0si just sold near me for $10k. Cars on AutoTrader are way overpriced...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Those prices are way higher than what I'd ever pay. A sub-100k 3.0si just sold near me for $10k. Cars on AutoTrader are way overpriced...
    I agree the prices seem high. I found my car from Autotrader back in Feburary. 29k miles and they were asking $12,000. I talked them down to $11,000 and drove the car away. I do think there will be a noticeable difference in price between the 03-06 models and 06-09 models though. Back in November of last year there was an 04' 3.0i on the baltimore craigslist with 70k miles for $6,500. I didn't have the money then, but I kept his number and did try calling in February when I was ready to buy. Unfortunately he changed his number or something.

My Cars
    2007 Z4C, 2012 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    Sounds like you're a little bit ahead of me, but on the same path... but plastic waterpump impellor, again - didn't they learn from the M52 motors?? :-( And I assume the VANOS is the same as the M52TUB, ie, replace the seals? What's with the FCABs - on my Z3 I upgraded to the solid ///M ones and eliminated the tramlining: wonder if I have that same option on the Z4? ... one of the things that made a huge huge huge difference on the Z3 was the seat tilt mod: how adjustable are the seats? You done multiple 12 hr trips.. are you able to adjust it to what you need, or do I need to do a tilt mod again? ... on the Z3 16" wheels was part of the answer for realworld roads on load tours... on the Si, aren't you forced to 18"s, ie, short sidewalls? I was thinking the 3.0i so that the 17's came with it... but what's your experience?... many thanks for your input.
    VANOS I think is a matter of seals leaking and losing functionality. DIY fix I believe.

I have a 3.0si coupe with sport package so I have 18" staggered setup. Looks sexy, I like it. I'm sure the ride suffers a bit compared to 17's but it's not horrid by any means. I bought a tire repair kit for an M and ditched the runflats so that helps.

My car came with standard seats which I swapped out for M Sports. They're not for the wide of berth. Electric adjustment in every direction plus adjustable thigh bolsters on the M Sports. I'm not aware of Z4s having the seat mount issues the Z3s had.

My wife and I have done long weekends on secondary roads with no road weariness whatsoever. I wouldn't call our luggage "loaded touring" but I was glad we had the hatch! My 12-hour jaunts were solo; I really like to drive so I don't mind the long hours, and again I never felt worn out by driving the car or sitting in it.