Thread: Car Starts for a minute - then dies unless I keep the throttle pushed

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i

Car Starts for a minute - then dies unless I keep the throttle pushed

Hi! Thanks for wanting to help!!

2003 bmw 325i. Car ran really rough before I started work on it. Shaked/ran very rough....Had to put it in neutral at stop lights to keep the rpms up so it wouldn't stall.

CODES before working on the vehicle:
    P0171 (system too lean Bank 1)
    P0174 (system too lean Bank 2)
    P1338
    P0442 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)
    P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
    P0305 Cylinder 5 Missfire Detected
    P0456 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak)

What I did to the vehicle:
    Replaced Intake/Exhaust camshaft sensors
    Cleaned Idle Control Valve
    Replaced Fuel Pump
    Replaced Fuel Filter
    Replaced DISA Valve - Used Part.
    Replaced Valve Cover Gasket (was leaking)
    All new Spark Plugs
    Replaced one ignition coil in cylinder 5
    Replaced MAF (tried cleaning it first - but didn't see any changes) - not OEM Part
    Replaced serpentine and AC Belts.

I haven't noticed any vacuum leaks that I can see - have not done a smoke test or anything - did spray a little carb cleaner over hoses/areas and it did rev up the rpms slightly over the DISA valve - but this was before I replaced it.

Currently the car will start - sound good and good idle - but will just drop rpm and die in under a minute or so....If I keep gas on it and rev it up a little it will stay running and sounds good/smooth.

Also - I noticed that when I turn my wheel while in park - the rpm drops (a lot more than I have ever noticed) - no drop in rpm if I turned on the lights and AC.

Trying to keep the rpms up to around 1500 and having the foot on the break and putting it in gear - the car dies.

It does start up again - but it needs the foot on the peddle to keep it from dying.

On a side note (this has been going on for a while) - when the car is warm (usually around normal operating temp) when I try to start the car - the starter turns - but doesn't catch and turn the motor...Make that whizzing sound....I'll have to turn the key on and off - until the starter catches and starts the car....I was told the it was probably from the Camshaft Sensors....But still doing it.

Any ideas would be GREAT!! I believe the battery and alternator are good with no indication of going bad before this.

Thank you!
    Last edited by WellHello; 05-10-2017 at 05:20 PM.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Check your intake boots. Make sure there's no tares from replacing the DISA valve and maf. Make sure the lower intake boot is mounted in correctly and the clamp is fastened.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    Thanks!! Yeah - boots are like new and clamps on nice and tight! Thank you very much for the reply)))

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Have you checked your fuel pressure? If so, wa the psi consistent or irratic?
    i had the same problem and it turned out it was my fuel filter. I was getting irratic psi readings when I did a fuel pressure test. I was getting the P0171, P0174, codes. Rough idle all because of a 12.00 filter. As far as the misfires, try using a new coil pack or switch the problematic cylinder coil pack with another coil pack and see if the misfires occur on the other cylinder you used. If so, then the coil pack is bad. Sometimes a new coil pack is bad.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    Thanks Drew....I haven't checked the fuel pressure...No equipment for that I think the misfire is fixed with the new spark plugs and ignition coil. And yeah- that fuel filter was clogged for sure - it bogged down so bad I barely made it into the driveway! haha

Oh - I just did all the above maintenance last week......It's just that one dang problem of starting, idle for a minute - then die unless I push down on the throttle a bit. - Thanks again for your input! I greatly appreciate it!

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    You're welcome! What ever it takes to help each other out. Go to your local auto parts store and pick up a fuel pressure gauge for 25 bucks. Doesn't hurt to have one. Then test the fuel pressure at the rail. Double check the valve cover and make sure it's torqued down correctly. Double check the DISA seal. Get a spray bottle with soapy water and spray the intake areas while the car is running and hear for suction and see if the engine boggles. If you have a new fuel filter make sure it's installed in the right direction. The PO of my Audi A4 installed the fuel filter backwards! Lol.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    If the car dies at idle unless you hold down the throttle, that's a vacuum leak. I had the same issue with my e46 and it turned out it was the lower intake boot. I didn't install it properly the lower intake boot is a pain to reinstall because I didn't want to remove other things. Lol. Check the plastic pipes on the distribution piece for cracks.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    Will do! I didn't think a fuel pressure gauge would be so cheap! Im checking leaks tomorrow... Glad that you can't put a filter in on this car backwards!!

Thanks again - great ideas to check!

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I use a propane torch..unlit..and wave it around vacuum hoses..while the engine is running. An easy way to detect and locate faulty hoses.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    Thanks Eaglesail - I've found a guy that can read the codes again and have a smoke machine to check for leaks.....Also going to flip out my new MAP sensor with my old one...And check the Throttle Position Sensor...
    Hope this solves my issues! Will let everyone know! Thanks again for the input! A Propane torch sound like it would be a great idea I'd just be afraid I'd miss one area. - Thanks again!!

My Cars
    03 M3 00 740i 98 528i
    Take a can of brake clean and spray around the seals where the intake manifold meets the cylinder head and listen for any changes in the idle (better or worse). You're getting way too much air and not enough fuel. Also check the main line going from the brake booster to the intake manifold.

I think you already said that you checked or replaced the rubber boot from the MAF to the throttle body and the idle air valve hose too....but just double check them for proper fitment.

You have a major air leak past the MAF sensor somewhere. I had the exact same issues and codes when I picked up my E39 for $350, and it was the boot between the MAF and the throttle body.
    2000 740i - 149K - Dville Monsoon rear deck speaker upgrade, GROM audio Bluetooth
    1998 528i - 204K - GROM audio Bluetooth setup, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, BSW Stage One speaker kit, Facelift Xenon's with Angel Eyes
    2003 M3 - 210K - BMW Euro Cross Drilled Rotors

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    FIXED!!! Had to take the Car to the Shop and the reset the computer after all the work I did on it!

Thanks everyone for all the help!