Avus Autosport

Thread: ZFEST 2017 Ventura Beach, California

My Cars
    06 3.0 SI

ZFEST 2017 Ventura Beach, California

The Z Series Car Club of America, ZSCCA, is the ONLY national car club dedicated to enthusiasts of all BMW Z series cars past and future. Founded in 1996 as the Z3 Register, the club has evolved to include all Z models and variations as the ZSCCA. We are a real non-profit organization, complete with by-laws and an elected board of directors, incorporated in the state of Delaware. We are a recognized Special Interest Group (SIG) of BMWCCA.

Our members come from all over the United States, Canada and several other countries around the world. We bring value to our members through planned national, regional and local events, social activities, fix-it day clinics, social media interaction, quarterly digital newsletter and last but not least, DRIVES. From leisurely scenic tours to spirited mountain switchback runs, our members have opportunity to participate in planned outings nearly every weekend Nation wide, as long as you like to travel.

Our signature national gathering, ZFEST, is held each summer and has been hosted in a number of locations around the country. In 2017, ZFEST returns to Southern California in Ventura. 2018's site has not yet been determined, but we are committed to rotating the event to different geographic areas of the United States.

ZFEST 2017 will be held in Ventura , Ca. on June 21st thru 25th, 2017. The Ventura Beach Marriott is the host Hotel for the years event. Hotel reservations are available now at a discounted rate.

http://www.zfest.com/hotel.aspx

Registration for ZFest 2017 is now open and is required to attend. http://www.zfest.com/registration.aspx

Membership in ZSCCA is not required to attend ZFEST, but members will enjoy a discounted rate.

ZSCCA is organized into local groups led by Area Reps. These folks are the "boots on the ground" that organize the majority of our events. Find a local group near you at: http://zscca.org/reps .

ZFEST 2017 is coming up quickly. Book your rooms soon as the rates will go up May 22 , 2017. You must register to attend, registration will close June 7, 2017. Registration and hotel links can be found here http://www.zfest.com/zfest09.aspx
    ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

My Cars
    06 3.0 SI

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    So, if we're only planning on driving up from LA for a drive or two, do we still need to register? If so, is there still any cost associated?

I won't be staying the night at the hotel, and I'll gladly pay for my own meals at whatever venues we stop at.
    Last edited by danomite; 05-11-2017 at 10:28 PM.

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    06 3.0 SI
    Quote Originally Posted by danomite View Post
    So, if we're only planning on driving up from LA for a drive or two, do we still need to register? If so, is there still any cost associated?

I won't be staying the night at the hotel, and I'll gladly pay for my own meals at whatever venues we stop at.

I get it everyone wants to go to the movies for free. The ZSCCA is a not for profit organization and we donate to our charities as well as paying for permits, land use, and insurance for the events. Those that attend will get this. The ZSCCA believes in supporting charities and those less fortunate than ourselves. This is why we require your registration. Join us for all the events and get more bang for your bucks. Please find more answers at the links above.
    ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Is there a car show type event scheduled?

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
    I get it everyone wants to go to the movies for free. The ZSCCA is a not for profit organization and we donate to our charities as well as paying for permits, land use, and insurance for the events. Those that attend will get this. The ZSCCA believes in supporting charities and those less fortunate than ourselves. This is why we require your registration. Join us for all the events and get more bang for your bucks. Please find more answers at the links above.
    This doesn't really answer my question...but it does do a good job of being condescending and trying to paint me in a bad light, so thanks for that.

First of all, the analogy of "going to the movies (which is typically a service offered by a for-profit entity, and bound by a contract of payment) for free", and driving on public use roads/going to restaurants which are open to the public, have absolutely nothing to do with one another. In fact, they are on opposite ends of that spectrum!

I understand what a non-profit organization is...I happen to be on the board of two 501c's! With that being said, specifically what charities do you donate to (I'd like to be sure that I personally also support the charities ZSCCA donates to...I don't like giving my money to causes and organizations which I don't support)? I don't believe that's too much of a request...for I too, believe in supporting those less fortunate than I am. Also, what percentage of your accrued 'donations' from this specific event (Z-Fest) will be passed on to charitable causes and organizations? What percentage of your accrued donations will be used to pay for permits, land use, and insurance for this specific event (Z-Fest)? I'm just curious, since you've chosen to wave the not-for-profit 'flag of honor' in my face.

Finally, as much as I'd love to (or perhaps would've loved to), I'm not able to attend the entire weekend's worth of gatherings and events...hence the reason for my question (which can't be answered by any info in the links above).

I'll be driving up to Santa Barbara area from LA during the week/weekend of June 19th-25th. I'll be driving on many of the same public roads that Z-Fest is planning on hosting drives on, and I'll be patronizing some of the same 'open to the public' establishments that Z-Fest will be hosting gatherings at. I hope to see/cross paths with fellow Z enthusiasts while I'm up there. Cheers all.

My Cars
    06 3.0 SI
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmansM View Post
    Is there a car show type event scheduled?
    The event is geared towards BMW Z model cars. To answer you question, there is not a formal car show event, that being said, on Saturday after the Zedkhana the back parking lot will be filled with Z's.
    ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

My Cars
    06 3.0 SI
    Quote Originally Posted by danomite View Post
    This doesn't really answer my question...but it does do a good job of being condescending and trying to paint me in a bad light, so thanks for that.

First of all, the analogy of "going to the movies (which is typically a service offered by a for-profit entity, and bound by a contract of payment) for free", and driving on public use roads/going to restaurants which are open to the public, have absolutely nothing to do with one another. In fact, they are on opposite ends of that spectrum!

I understand what a non-profit organization is...I happen to be on the board of two 501c's! With that being said, specifically what charities do you donate to (I'd like to be sure that I personally also support the charities ZSCCA donates to...I don't like giving my money to causes and organizations which I don't support)? I don't believe that's too much of a request...for I too, believe in supporting those less fortunate than I am. Also, what percentage of your accrued 'donations' from this specific event (Z-Fest) will be passed on to charitable causes and organizations? What percentage of your accrued donations will be used to pay for permits, land use, and insurance for this specific event (Z-Fest)? I'm just curious, since you've chosen to wave the not-for-profit 'flag of honor' in my face.

Finally, as much as I'd love to (or perhaps would've loved to), I'm not able to attend the entire weekend's worth of gatherings and events...hence the reason for my question (which can't be answered by any info in the links above).

I'll be driving up to Santa Barbara area from LA during the week/weekend of June 19th-25th. I'll be driving on many of the same public roads that Z-Fest is planning on hosting drives on, and I'll be patronizing some of the same 'open to the public' establishments that Z-Fest will be hosting gatherings at. I hope to see/cross paths with fellow Z enthusiasts while I'm up there. Cheers all.

Your post speaks volumes about the person that you are. make sure to meet everyone.
    ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe "Z3elda"
    Let me wade into the discussion and offer some different perspective, as well as answer a few questions.

We don't offer a daily registration option because ZFEST is not contained within a controlled area (like Bimmerfest, etc). As everyone involved in the event from the top-down is a volunteer, dedicating people to distribute daily ID's and then "police" that is simply not possible or practical for an event of this size.

Danomite- As I'm sure you understand by serving on other boards, not-for-profit does not mean we can never make any money. It merely controls where it comes from and how it can be spent. Other than membership dues, ZFEST is the only activity ZSCCA engages in that generates any income. While making money is not the main goal of ZFEST, it is also not our goal to lose money. How is it spent? In broad terms, membership dues cover the basic operating costs of the organization. ZFEST registration covers the overhead of the event, and what's left over goes to the club coffers. That provides seed money for other large events and supports local ZSCCA group activities, which help us attract new members and retain existing ones.

Please also consider: As the event organizers, we take on a certain level of liability for the people participating in the event. We protect the club with an insurance policy, and by requiring every registered participant to sign a waiver (as you would attending an Autocross for example). Neither of these things provides 100% protection, so we are simply not willing to take responsibility for those who are not fully registered.

Charities we support:
    - The BMWCCA Foundation Tire Rack Street Survival teen driving program
    - The Local Make-A-Wish chapter in the area where ZFEST happens. (Tri-Counties is the chapter that serves Ventura)

The majority of donations are generated by fundraising activities held at ZFEST and not specifically through the basic registration fee. We traditionally look at the accounting at the end of the event, and at the boards discretion, make a club donation to that years selected charity. There is no formula, and it does not happen every year. Last year in Asheville, we donated over $11k to Street Survival and the local Make-a-Wish chapter combined. Looking back to the early days of Roadster Homecoming (ZFEST's Legacy event) we are easily in the hundreds of thousands of dollars donated.

Value:
    None of the above explains the value, or offers you a reason to register for ZFEST. The comparison I often make is that ZFEST is like using a travel agent to plan your vacation. There have been hundreds of hours dedicated to planning this event from both the local and national level. There is value in that. Then, there is the intoxicating experience of meeting Z owners from across the country. I just took a peek at registration, and there are more people coming to ZFEST from outside California than from within. There are people making the cross-country trip from as far away as Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio and the Carolinas. I am leading a 20 day, 7000+ mile "Z to Shining Sea" roadtrip from Kure Beach, North Carolina to Ventura.. Then after ZFEST, a group of us will head north as far as Eureka, then back. That speaks to the effect this event has on people.

I know this is an unknown and mostly unexperienced thing to many of our California friends reading this, but please give it a try. I think you'll be glad you did.

Eric Peck- ZSCCA President

PS- for you Dorkfest regulars- a bit of shameless chest-puffing self-promotion.. This is a chance to meet the organizers of Schuh Syndikat (My wife Nancy and myself) and maybe take a drive with us.
    Eric Peck

Founder, Schuh Syndikat - The East Coast's Z3/M Coupe Event.
    http://schuhsyndikat.org
    http://www.facebook.com/schuhsyndikat

ZSCCA Past President
    http://www.zscca.org
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/zscca

Operations Manager
    shop.BimmerBum.com

My Cars
    911 turbo tincan
    eric seems legit

danomite please pay the man and enjoy yourself
    07' Arctic Silver 911 Turbo

71' Agave Green 2002

10' Gray Landcruiser 200 series

10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw_e30 View Post
    eric seems legit

danomite please pay the man and enjoy yourself
    I have no problem/issue with Eric or the ZSCCA organization.

I simply asked a question, and got a ridiculous, non sequitur response from Robert.

All is well, bmw_e30...carry on.