Thread: Steering wheel jerks once I step on the brakes 05 745i

My Cars
    745i

Steering wheel jerks once I step on the brakes 05 745i

Steering wheel jerks once I step on the brakes 05 745i

Steering wheel still jerks about half of an inch every time I step on the brakes. My ABS light is on so i am not sure if that has something to do with it, but everything else works fine. I was reading another post where someone wrote that the dealers fixed it by changing the rubber mount / bushing thing in the steering shaft, but i am not sure what he is talking about. ALso i must add, it has no effect to the cars driving position like wont make my car dart to one side. There is no steering shimmy or vibration, it's just the steering wheel jerks.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    That sounds like a bad alignment or a need for an alignment. If there is no vibration, then it's likely not the control arm bushings. I would still go through the suspension just to be sure that nothing is worn or needing replacing.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    745i
    I'm going to try the alignment and see if that does it! I'll go through the suspension as well cause it won't hurt to be sure nothing is worn out. i have about 130K miles on it so, it won't hurt. Thank you for the suggestion and i will post the results once i've done it.
    Thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

i was trying to post pictures here from my desktop, but i didn't see the option. i only see insert image from a URL. If you have any suggestions, then let me know cause i think it would be helpful to others who have this problem as well. Thanks again

My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by cea4 View Post
    I'm going to try the alignment and see if that does it! I'll go through the suspension as well cause it won't hurt to be sure nothing is worn out. i have about 130K miles on it so, it won't hurt. Thank you for the suggestion and i will post the results once i've done it.
    Thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

i was trying to post pictures here from my desktop, but i didn't see the option. i only see insert image from a URL. If you have any suggestions, then let me know cause i think it would be helpful to others who have this problem as well. Thanks again

No problem, glad to help! That same button for the image upload should also give you an option to insert from computer - check out the image I attached. photoupload_bimmer.JPG
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos

My Cars
    745i
    your screen shot is clear and shows me exactly what i am missing in mine. When i click on insert image icon, i get the same box as you, but i am missing the drop down that says from computer and the bottom one that shows a checkmark for "retrieve remote file and reference locally ". i am on chrome. Maybe i should try IE or firefox.

My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by cea4 View Post
    your screen shot is clear and shows me exactly what i am missing in mine. When i click on insert image icon, i get the same box as you, but i am missing the drop down that says from computer and the bottom one that shows a checkmark for "retrieve remote file and reference locally ". i am on chrome. Maybe i should try IE or firefox.

That's odd, I'm on Chrome as well. Perhaps shoot me message to one of the Moderators.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Moved this to the sub forum for your model. New members are restricted from posting photos/links as a spam preventative. This is only for a short time. Try using a photo host site such as Photobucket. Copy/paste the IMG to your post. It will still go to 'Moderated status' but one of us will approve it. Once your post count is up a bit, this will no longer be necessary. I know it's a pain but the spammers are relentless and have BOTS that can sign up and post spam links.

My Cars
    745i
    Ok here is the update, so far. i decided to check my control arms and look what i found. Looks like i need to replace it and i have ordered it from ebay and will do both left front and right front.
    _MG_7471.jpg IMG_7470.jpg i will keep you guys posted if this resolves it but clearly i need to change the control arms. I will also change the Front and left wheel bearings . Stay tuned and thanks for suggesting i go through the suspension system.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way here is my car Still looks good so i have to take care of her
    $_7.jpg

My Cars
    745i
    I had also sent my ABS to be serviced to myairbags.com and got it back and my ABS light no longer comes on so that is working fine. Again i will keep you guys posted with pictures once the problem is resolved!! Thx

My Cars
    745i
    I did manage to take a 17seconds video, but could not upload it. My choices were only for youtube and all. it's 9.20mb, but oh well. will be back soon!

My Cars
    It's the control arm bushings for 100%. Replace the arms and report back.

Jabbing the brake pedal and feeling the steering wheel for jerking is exactly how we test them.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    745i
    Wow !! THe problem has been solved by changing the control arm bushing! I changed the driver side control arm which was really bad as you saw in the picture and that was it Thank you all for helping!! I can't believe that was the problem, but i am glad it's over now YEAHHHH!!!

My Cars
    745i
    and thank you WHite94Rx. You were right !!! Cheers!!