Thread: Helmet discussion!

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i

Helmet discussion!

Hi guys, I was searching the forum for a helmet thread, and couldn't find one. What SA rated helmets do you guys use? If you don't mind, it would be awesome to jot down a short review of the helmet and the price!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I literally went to my local safety stop, found the cheapest SA2015 rated helmet and bought it. SA rating requirements are enforced by whatever track you go to. Most are on SA2010 at this point. I doubt even clearances have SA2010 anymore.

Otherwise, a helmet is a helmet is a helmet. You pay for looks mostly. Even the CF ones I see weigh the same amount. The only other criteria in a helmet are: Weight, intercom setup, air hose attachments, preinstalled hans links

I can see a case for getting something light weight for drifting, but the price difference isn't worth it to me.

I've omitted open face helmets because no one should wear those (with rare exception)

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I am a huge fan of Simpson, but you have to shell out some $$$ for them. I use a Street Bandit in my car and a Ghost Bandit on my bike. Only annoying part is the ghost bandit isn't SA, even though it costs like 3x the street bandit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    It's important to note that MA and SA standards are very different. Motorcycle helmets (MA) are designed to take one big impact and have your head skid across the road. SA standards are designed to take a bunch of medium hits as your face finds its way all over the car when you roll over.

Edit: MA is also NOT rated for fire.

Edit2: http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aSAMKdiff
    Last edited by protomor; 05-09-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Actually, SNELL does include multi impact at the same point of contact on its motorcycle helmet certification. Flame resistance is the only significant difference in testing. This snell site does reference multiple impact to rollbar/ other surfaces as a test that all snell rated helmets go through.
    I plan on grabbing the cheapest SA2015 fullface I can find that fits. The two nearest tracks to me both require SA and specifically state that SNELL-M isn't acceptable.
    http://www.smf.org/testing

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    From what I read, Simpson can't get the ghost bandit tested because SA will not test helmets with internal sun visors like most MC helmets have these days.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Recently just bought this one in white
    https://www.amazon.com/Snell-SA2015-...met&th=1&psc=1

I had a zamp before and it was nice, I'm easy to please though. Almost went with racequip but decided to try out the cheaper conquer since it had ventilation (it's hot as balls here)

also, if you guys decorate your helmets with paint or stickers please post a pic!
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    Recently just bought this one in white
    https://www.amazon.com/Snell-SA2015-...met&th=1&psc=1

I had a zamp before and it was nice, I'm easy to please though. Almost went with racequip but decided to try out the cheaper conquer since it had ventilation (it's hot as balls here)

also, if you guys decorate your helmets with paint or stickers please post a pic!
    IDK how you guys deal with that heat. It was 101 going in to friday night practice and I was not happy about it.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    IDK how you guys deal with that heat. It was 101 going in to friday night practice and I was not happy about it.
    Saw you out there on sunday. I was only there for a little while and was busy the rest of the weekend. Were you having issues with the car?
    As far as dealing with the heat uhhh... rip off the helmet after every lap, pour water on head, some have coolsuits lol
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I did designs and what not with my helmet back in the day. Just wound up with this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTmbLSlg...=protomordrift

Basically, since I instruct, people would get these great shots of cars but I'd be driving. This way, they can't take video/pictures and say they were "killing it". You KNOW it was me driving.

Also, big stickers don't work on helmets (sad yoshi). They don't mesh well with the rounded contour. I dunno what to do with my helmet anymore. Might just leave it white.

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Ive always hated all white helmets and thought it looked cheap however my helmet is all white with a dark shield and hated it until I saw someone do this with theirs.

Stupid? debatable. Cool as all friggin heck? Very.
    IG: allen_union

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    Saw you out there on sunday. I was only there for a little while and was busy the rest of the weekend. Were you having issues with the car?
    As far as dealing with the heat uhhh... rip off the helmet after every lap, pour water on head, some have coolsuits lol
    Dude...I have no idea WTF was going on. I switched to Kendas for comp on saturday and stayed on them sunday and could not drive to save my life. Then I was just getting frustrated and mad and that wasn't helping.

I did notice Rome had a coolshirt.

My Cars
    98 328is
    pyrotect sa2010 open face was my first helmet. i figured i live in south texaas an full face would suck. i the bough a pyrotect sa2010 full faced and my open face is for passangers. please, get a full faced helmet for drifting. i get so much shit in my face just forgetting to lower the visor.

also, get an SA2015. only real difference is the cheaper brands reuse shells for sizes annd add padding. expensive brands might have different shells per size.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I got an SA2015 Zamp from Jeg's, and it's perfectly acceptable. The face coverage part sits a little bit higher than I would probably prefer I suppose, but it's comfortable even though I have a nice snug fit, and the quality level seems good. I spent almost an entire day in it on Halloween.

if I was going to buy a helmet today, I might try one of those Conquer ones just to see how well I like it... If I didn't care for it a lot, I'd return it and get the Zamp.