Thread: Convertible Top Problem

My Cars
    2006 Z4

Convertible Top Problem

I replaced the top motor (genuine new BMW part from BMW dealer) according to Shipkiller's instructions ( Thank you! ) 3 years and 10k miles ago. The only thing maybe worth mentioning is when the top was almost up and the locks were about to and engaging I would hear a squeal/whine noise but the up and down operation worked just fine for the past 3 years. Now the top will go down and lock with the fob, key, or console button but will not close on it's own.......it will make a whining noise and the red light flashes but I have to use the manual release and bring the top ALL the way forward to the windshield, half way or 3/4 way does not work.....but whine continues in any position trying to go up. When I put the top all the way to the windshield it will lock and red light goes out.
    UPDATE:
    Bought 2 rebuilt hinges/hydraulic cylinders from Top Hydraulics Inc. I installed them and the top did nothing.....I have been switching polarity and running the motor and this resulted in lowering the reservoir level as well as manually moving the top up and down and I needed to add about 50ml of hydraulic fluid..... and the top operates about the same as before. Will retract and hold position for a foot or two but then falls down like the red loop (I think bypass valve) is pulled. Motor runs but will not go up. I unhooked the bypass cable from the lever on the pump so I know it is not engaged.
    There were no leaks in the system before or now. The motor is bone dry (sealed per Shipkillers instructions) and looks brand new. I took great care to make sure I have the hoses just as they were before on the cylinders. The top is off the vehicle.
    Hoping someone has a solution or some advise. Thanks.
    UPDATE:
    Ordered new motor. Top works now. Defective pump but good motor........so if your top has been working fine and stops working and you find your motor rusted......maybe you could buy my brand new looking motor with defective pump and just replace your motor and seal up the housing per Shipkillers instructions and have your top working again. The gamble would be that your pump still works.
    Last edited by Joeyh1; 05-31-2017 at 07:34 PM.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5i
    I'm a new '03 Z4 owner, but you know what I did? I pulled that motor out and sat it right on my shelf. Now, I manually move the top and use the electric latch motor. It's really not a big deal.

Not everyone will agree with me, but I'd rather be out driving than un-screw a bad design.