Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sway bars and Drifting

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    I dont think there is any way to mount the end links to E46 arms. Are you still stock angle? E46 SLR arms have sway bar tabs on them.

To update this thread, I am still running the whiteline front bar and no rear bar. I love how the car feels lately
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceMotch View Post
    I have an E46 chassis. My front links were mounted to the factory strut. But then again, connecting the shorter links from the Raceland kit resulted in steering binding and prevented lock to lock.
    God dang it i always do this hahahaha. I forget that bmw made other cars other than the e36. I used my e36 end links and drilled a hole in the e46 control arm and mounted them. I cant remember how the e46 bar lines up with the arm.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    I dont think there is any way to mount the end links to E46 arms. Are you still stock angle? E46 SLR arms have sway bar tabs on them.

To update this thread, I am still running the whiteline front bar and no rear bar. I love how the car feels lately
    Stock angle, yes. Might add rack spacers, but thats all at this moment

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    I'd ditch the racelands asap honestly. Hard to really troubleshoot handling issues beyond having poor body control. Stock springs and Bilsteins would be much better and wont break the bank. If you want low then something like BC or fortunes, those are decent.

As far as sway links, drill a hole and use E36 non M sway links for the front. If you you don't run sway bars and do not have roll center correction, you really can't lower the car much at all before motion control starts getting really hairy. The Racelands aren't helping things much in that department since they are so soft. If you want the car to handle better without spending any more money Raise it up to stock ride height and hook the front bar up.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    I'd ditch the racelands asap honestly. Hard to really troubleshoot handling issues beyond having poor body control. Stock springs and Bilsteins would be much better and wont break the bank. If you want low then something like BC or fortunes, those are decent.

As far as sway links, drill a hole and use E36 non M sway links for the front. If you you don't run sway bars and do not have roll center correction, you really can't lower the car much at all before motion control starts getting really hairy. The Racelands aren't helping things much in that department since they are so soft. If you want the car to handle better without spending any more money Raise it up to stock ride height and hook the front bar up.
    The stock suspension was awful. It rolled all over just shifting gears accelerating. The Racelands are better, but its a budget car. They're not height adjustable, only pre load adjustable, and the front bar when installed binds the steering rack.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Has anyone tried attaching the stock e46 sway bar to the stock e46 arms?

Quote Originally Posted by e30 394 View Post
    God dang it i always do this hahahaha. I forget that bmw made other cars other than the e36. I used my e36 end links and drilled a hole in the e46 control arm and mounted them. I cant remember how the e46 bar lines up with the arm.
    Sway bars mounting to the strut actually started with the e36.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    ^ It works but you run the risk of cracks developing in the control arm if you simply drill a hole to fit the e36 clevis and welding an aluminum clevis will weaken the control arm by annealing it. If you only drive the car on the track it lasts reasonably well.

The other option for E46's is to use strut mounted sway links that are adjustable at both ends and leaving one end's jam nut off so that it can pivot. This will cut out most all of the bind. Sure it will shorten and lengthen over the steering lock but not to a noticeable degree.

Most teams in FD that are stuck with strut mounted Sway links do exactly that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12