Thread: new e34 owner from NY

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i

new e34 owner from NY

As of last weekend I have purchased my first BMW. Needless to say I'm very excited! I've owned various vehicles from VW, Porsche, Mercedes so I'm familiar with german mechanicals but figured I'd join a forum to learn as much as possible. I purchased my '95 525i off a coworker for 2k, which I could not turn down. To be honest I had always wanted an e30, but im falling in love with the e34 quickly. The car is very clean inside and out, with 106k miles and maintenance up to date (all new fluids, hoses, belts, vanos lines, etc) the car has been very well kept. The only things I'm looking to replace are a window switch for a rear window, whatever is keeping the car from unlocking from the drivers door (still locks from there and unlocks from passenger) and clearcoat peel on trunk/roof. Any other suggestions would be appreciated and I look forward to learning about these cars!

Only question i have as of now is lowering the vehicle. I've seen a ton of different answers as to lowering these with coilovers. Cutting and welding isn't much of a problem to me as thats what I do for a living, but i prefer not. I've heard plenty of people running the NEX, but very mixed reviews on them. I was looking into BC's, welding still required?

And of course, heres some photos until my front plate filler, trunk lip, and heckblend rear filler come in!

Cheers!

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Welcome to Bimmerforums and BMW ownership. I'l leave the suspension advice to others... nice looking E34!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    looks like a really nice one, congratulations and welcome.
    regarding lowering; You mention that you are quickly falling in love with the car. Why is that? If it's road manners and ride are part of this then consider that you'll be significantly be altering that.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Welcome to Bimmerforums and BMW ownership. I'l leave the suspension advice to others... nice looking E34!
    Thank you sir!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    looks like a really nice one, congratulations and welcome.
    regarding lowering; You mention that you are quickly falling in love with the car. Why is that? If it's road manners and ride are part of this then consider that you'll be significantly be altering that.
    thank you! as far as suspension id like a stiffer and tighter feel. i plan on doing some oem+ mods such as msport bumpers, etc and id like the look to compliment.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Take a look around and see if you like the height of a standard lowering spring. H&R, eibach, vogtland, etc. Those coupled with some quality dampers will do you just fine. Coilovers are great, but require welding.
    -Alex

Nice, welcome aboard. I used to work in kingston until last year. You may have seen my car you may not have.. its a red e34. Congrats and good luck.
    Herr, wirf Hirn vom Himmel! ... oder Steine, Hauptsache er trifft.

88 Alpineweiss / black E30 M3 -Project.
    Brilliantrot / black US SPEC 3/90 prod e34 M30b35 535i 5spd - Modded.
    98.5 Tiag Silber /black e36 m3 - Modded.
    99.5 Estoril Blau /dove e36 m3 - Modded.
    07 Crimsonrot /black E83 X3 6spd - Stock..

My Cars
    some
    Nice car. In better condition than mine (mines more of a fixer upper bought cheap for something to do with my time). Mine was already pre-lowered with regular springs and 16" rims, so I have no personal experience except to say mine is too low and had inside wear issues on the rear tyres due to excessive negative camber.

Going to coil-overs is a pretty big leap. Interested in what you decide.
    Last edited by fo3; 06-07-2017 at 12:14 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    - - - Updated - - -

thank you! as far as suspension id like a stiffer and tighter feel. i plan on doing some oem+ mods such as msport bumpers, etc and id like the look to compliment.[/QUOTE]

Maybe drive a fully sorted car with fresh stock suspension before passing judgment. At 100k and twenty years this one is due for a refresh.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E34
    Quote Originally Posted by resslere34 View Post
    whatever is keeping the car from unlocking from the drivers door (still locks from there and unlocks from passenger)
    Mine does the same, and only when the key is facing a certain way. I haven't tried to fix it yet, lol.
    Welcome to the E34 world.

My Cars
    1995 bmw 530i/a
    Hello all and hello resslere34. I'm also new to this forum and also in the hudson valley ny area, so I saw your clean 525 on my CL. It was on the market around the same time the catastrophic fate of a large sugar maple tree fell onto my green e34 530. Here is a link of a want ad I've circulated, it has helped to commiserate with the loss I endured. The strut tower caught all of the damage.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/6242600929.html
    Last edited by shane34530; 07-30-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: cl link

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by shane34530 View Post
    Hello all and hello resslere34. I'm also new to this forum and also in the hudson valley ny area, so I saw your clean 525 on my CL. It was on the market around the same time the catastrophic fate of a large sugar maple tree fell onto my green e34 530. Here is a link of a want ad I've circulated, it has helped to commiserate with the loss I endured. The strut tower caught all of the damage.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/6242600929.html
    Insurance will not pay!?
    WTF kind of insurance do you have?

My Cars
    1995 bmw 530i/a
    Insurance will not pay!?
    WTF kind of insurance do you have?

More like what I didn't have, comprehensive coverage for such an event. That statement is only to exemplify the result of the damage. Had I been covered I would have got what the vehicle is worth. Some play around cash for about half of the cost to repair a strut tower.

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    - - - Updated - - -

thank you! as far as suspension id like a stiffer and tighter feel. i plan on doing some oem+ mods such as msport bumpers, etc and id like the look to compliment.
    Maybe drive a fully sorted car with fresh stock suspension before passing judgment. At 100k and twenty years this one is due for a refresh.[/QUOTE]

I agree, there are plenty of rubber mounts, bushings, couplings and bearings that will make a world of difference. If you plan on keeping the car for a while go with lemforder or better. Otherwise plan on doing a lot of but not all of it again in 12-24 months