Thread: Intake

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i e46

Intake

Fairly new to this and I got a 2001 BMW 325i and I'm trying to build the engine up a bit. I'm thinking of starting with a intake, headers, cylinder heads. But I don't know how much my engine could handle, not trying to blow the motor. So should I get a new block as well or just swap motors?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the forum!

Should have started with a 330i instead, as that is what is sound like you want to get out of the car, as it has about 40 more HP stock.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

You can buy a complete turbo kit for one but then it depends on wat route you want to go down because that aint going to be cheap there is a couple of video on you of people with turbos on 325

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thats ment to say on you tube lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i e46
    I wanted a 330i but I got the 325i for a steal so I just went with it. I know the m54 is a small motor so I'm just wondering if I swapped headers manifold and Intake if the motor would blow. Should I swap blocks as well? Or just full on engine swap?

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Welcome. You are apparently new to BMWs. One thing's for sure, it ain't like working on a Chevy. Dealing with the hard parts isn't so hard. The electronics, that's another story. Unless you have a place to work, the necessary tools and the know how to deal with the electronics, as said above, you'd be better off looking for a 330.

Besides, did you just get the car? Odds are that it needs something. Cooling system overhaul, suspension, etc. Have you run a scan on it to see what kind of shape it's in under the hood? In my experience, people usually let these cars go after the warranty period expires and their idea of a well cared for vehicle is fixing it when it breaks. With a BMW, preventive maintenance is the name of the game. If you like the car and want to keep it running, give the cooling system some attention. Unless it's been done in the last 50k miles or so, odds are that it needs a top to bottom refresh. Radiator, thermostat, hoses, expansion tank, water pump, pulleys, etc. If one of the parts that keeps the engine cool goes, the head is at risk.

If you are a mechanical wiz and really know turbo systems, you could piece one together; otherwise, figure about $5k. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a car that I only got because it was cheap unless I was building it with a purpose in mind.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Cut to the chase, source an e46-m3 motor.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i e46
    Well I got it non running for $1200. But all it needed was the cooling system and a new head. My family friend is a BMW expert and owns a shop so I got the parts for a discount. Only put $800 and now it's running and perfectly fine. Passed very test. You're right I'm totally new to BMWs. I do have some help, and some money too. I know the m54 is turbo friendly but I'm no mechanical wiz... not yet at least. I'm willin. To work and pay for it to become one through.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The best advice I can give you is just drive the car first before making big plans.

Then start laying out a plan for that car or perhaps another one later on down the road. Then start to collect the cost of each item and the possibility of you being able to install them.

In the Military, we call that the "End State" and that is where you want the car to be at and how long it will take for you to finish the car.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyB510 View Post
    I wanted a 330i but I got the 325i for a steal so I just went with it. I know the m54 is a small motor so I'm just wondering if I swapped headers manifold and Intake if the motor would blow. Should I swap blocks as well? Or just full on engine swap?
    You need to do a lot more research before throwing parts at the car.
    My suggestion would be to get running 100% perfect for now and learning about cars.

Cars

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Cut to the chase, source an e46-m3 motor.
    Now, why didn't I think of that? But yeah, you really need to learn BMWs. I've been doing shade tree/driveway work for years and with the BMWs, I feel like a noob a lot of the time.

When I got my son his '01 325i, we looked into what we could do with the car. Since his only had just over 70k miles on it, we figured it still had a lot of life in it. What we found is that "go faster" parts are expensive and all give the usual "up to 10hp" spiel. I've been around long enough to know that what that translates into in the real world is little to nothing. You could spend a couple of thousand to drop a 1/10 on your 0-60 time.

Driving a BMW is an experience in itself, due to the handling and behavior of the car. Get it running right and enjoy it for what it is. Get to know the car and the brand, then start making plans for something bigger. An M3 swap sure sounds interesting and would certainly provide the power.