Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, so what front kick panel component speakers do we like now?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8

OK, so what front kick panel component speakers do we like now?

Having repaired the subwoofer in my 2000 2.8 Roadster, time to look at the kick panel speakers.

Most of the write-ups for their replacement were written years ago, and the suggested component speakers are no longer made, which raises the question: what front kick panel component speakers do we like now? Crutchfield only suggest the Sound Ordnance™ P-52CB for $70, and it isn't in stock.

Thoughts?

-Llama

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I would see if MB Quart or Infinity speakers are available. I believe an acquaintance had MB Quart in their Z3M.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Do a search, because a lot of 5.25" and 6.5" component sets will fit, unless the mid/woofer is really deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster 2.8
    I just put in the P-52CB speakers, tweeters and kick panels along with rear speakers. The driver's side tweeter had been dead since I got the car. All of them together sound great. Grandson who is just home from college took it for a spin and pulled in with a big smile and said "incredible". That was a combo of sound and getting to drive the Z3 again. The Z3 is earmarked for him when he graduates. I'm happy with the Sound Ordnance and would do it again.

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    6.5" Rockfords ftw, you'll never go to another speaker...ofc you have to cut the body of the car to make it fit...

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltface View Post
    I just put in the P-52CB speakers, tweeters and kick panels along with rear speakers. ... I'm happy with the Sound Ordnance and would do it again.
    Can confirm that the P-52CBs work great for this car. You may have to do some minor surgery to mounting tabs to make it work, but otherwise great drop-in replacements.

A previous post on the subject: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...8#post29604608
    How to-videos and more at Cludgecast on YouTube

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I'm very happy with the Bavsound Stage One upgrade. Even with the Harman Kardon amp, the sound is much better.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8
    So, how about any of these options?

Alpine Spr-50c 5.25-Inch 2 Way Pair of Component Car Speaker System The depth is 2 1/4".

New Rockford Fosgate R152-S 5.25" 160 Watt 2 Way Car Component Speakers Audio

50.11cs - Infinity 5.25" 2-Way Kappa Series Component Car Speakers System The depth is 2 1/16" and Crutchfield says they are 2-ohms, and I keep reading that the factory kick panel speakers are also 2-Ohm. Not true?

If none of these are worthwhile, I am open to other specific suggestions...

Thanks.
    Last edited by Llama; 05-09-2017 at 06:23 PM.

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    All relatively same devices. If it's between those three pick best price. You'll be happy with just about anything other than stock. If you plan to juice the system look for good amp and high RMS output on amp and speakers

My Cars
    96 Z3 1.9
    Hi! I'm asking the same question and hoping you might post a follow up. Did you choose one and, if yes, which one? did they fit?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8
    Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm leaning towards the third choice when I do.

My Cars
    96 Z3 1.9
    Thanks for the quick reply. With the long weekend coming up, I'll have a bit of time to work. I decided to just go on the cheap and went for the Rockford Fosgate 152s, with free same-day delivery from Amazon. I also bought the RF 4" coax to replace the rear screw-in speakers - they can't suck worse than the blown ones that are there - you know it's bad when the 3" speakers rattle on piano music!
    Last edited by tigerdog2000; 05-26-2017 at 03:15 PM.

My Cars
    96 Z3 1.9
    Learn from my experience: don't bother with 5.25" speakers. The factory kickpanel speakers are not 5.25 units; they're roughly 6". Actual measurement of the opening is 123mm. Speaker bolt circle diameter is 141mm, factory speaker depth 62mm but there's about 75mm to play with in the cavity.

The odd size really limits our choices to Bavsound, Crutchfield Sound Ordnance and a few oddball devices from PartsExpress, etc. The closest, affordable match looks like this one:
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs150p-4-6-reference-paper-woofer-4-ohm--295-373
    It's 4 ohm, not 3 or 2, but the biggest challenges will be 6 mounting holes where the stock speaker uses 4 screws, and the round frame, where the stock one is not. If you want drop-in replacements behind the factory kick panels, our best current options may simply be to wait for Crutchfield, buy Bavsound.

My Cars
    96 Z3 1.9
    Quick follow up: my Sound Ordnance P-52CBs will be here next week. Has anyone installed these using only the woofers, while retaining the stock mid/tweets?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8
    Don't have an answer for you, Tigerdog, but by a coincidence, I just bought the Kappa 50.11cs's from Amazon last night, to install them next week sometime over the holiday. I have since replaced the repaired subwoofer with a Pyle PLPW6D 6-Inch 600 Watt Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer that went in with very minimal mods and sounds much better than the repaired unit, replaced the 4" rear speakers with a pair of Rockford Fosgate R14X2 Prime Full Range Coaxial Speakers that just dropped right in, and between these two changes, the sound is MUCH better in my roadster now.

Plan now is to replace the front kick speakers and leave the door tweeters alone, pending a review and test.

-Warr

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8

Speaker replacement

I just went with a set of Sony 200 Watt 3 way, 5.25" speakers from Walmart for like $29, they sound 3 times better then the old stock ones, so i'm cheap, but hey, they fit perfect,sound Great...

My Cars
    '01 MCoupe, '20 M2C
    What about the Dynaudio Esotec MW 152?

https://solen.ca/wp-content/uploads/mw152.pdf
    Pani
    2001 Laguna Seca Blue M Coupe

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8
    I installed the Kappa's today, and it only took about an hour all told, including removing the kick panels themselves. The only wrinkle is that the old speakers didn't clearly label the positive and negative wires, so tested both ways and can confirm that the narrow connector on the OEM speaker is the negative lead.

The Kappa's bolt right in - no adjustments or mods of any kind are necessary except cutting the OEM speaker connectors from the speaker wires and stripping off a few mm of insulation. Also nice: they are 2-ohm, just like the OEM speakers I removed. With all due respect to TigerDog, these 5.25" speakers are a perfect match to replace the stock speakers.

The kick panel speakers were both original, and the driver's side speaker's foam ring was completely disintegrated. Perhaps because of this alone, the replacement speakers sound dramatically better. Between all the new speakers, the sound is dramatically improved, and possibly the best it has ever been. I replaced the head unit back in 2003 or so, meaning all that is left that's stock now is the amp.

The tweeters in the doors still sound good to me. I might install the Kappa tweeters into the doors when I work on the window regulators, but then again, I might not.

Llama

I may be confused but I looked into these...the kapppas....

are they P and P.????......I see they are a component set up..........not just 5.25's...are they avail to buy alone?

Im dont know about audio that much but I just bought a new HU......Id consider these if sound is subjectively imprvd.......but not if I need to do wiring on tweeters. crossover etc etc...

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8
    Hi JRK,

The Kappas are a component set, but the stock amp is already doing the crossover-ing, splitting the front signals into the tweeters in the doors and the rest going to the kick panels. I have read how one can leave the Kappa's crossovers in the box and just put the tweeters in the doors and the main drivers in the kick panels and you are done, and that's the plan.

The stock door tweeters are fine as far as I can tell, so I am in no rush to swap them.

The sound is TREMENDOUSLY improved, but keep in mind I had one of the kick panel speakers blown.

I don't believe the individual components can be bought separately.

Llama

tremendously imprvd sounds great...........but u had a blown spkr as u mention.

hmmmmmm.......

where did u buy from?....

oops....u said Amazon
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 07-07-2017 at 03:00 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    tremendously imprvd sounds great...........but u had a blown spkr as u mention.

hmmmmmm.......

where did u buy from?....
    Got 'em from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZBP4DE/

About the blown speaker: I didn't know it was blown until I removed the kick panel and saw it, and I was surprised. I never heard the characteristic cracking and popping from the footwell. My point is, unless you have removed your kickpanels and inspected the speakers, your speakers could very well be blown after 17-ish years of service, too.

And BTW, by "blown" I mean the foam surround had disintegrated around the cone.

The construction of the OEM speaker is clearly inferior to the new one when you look at them side by side, BTW.

-Llama

thank u

Im trying to see if that 5.25 is avail to buy alone as a pr.....but Inifinity is not picking up......

My Cars
    96 Z3 1.9
    Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    The Kappa's bolt right in - no adjustments or mods of any kind are necessary except cutting the OEM speaker connectors from the speaker wires and stripping off a few mm of insulation. Also nice: they are 2-ohm, just like the OEM speakers I removed. With all due respect to TigerDog, these 5.25" speakers are a perfect match to replace the stock speakers.
    Well, I need all the respect I can get these days, so thanks!

There seems to be some oddness happening because I am unable to fit speakers that others report drop right in. I tried Kicker 5 1/4s mentioned elsewhere; they did not fit. I just received and tried to fit the Sound Ordnance kit that Crutchfield says fits... same issue; the mounting tabs' maximum diameter is a few mm to narrow for the screws to drop into the holes. I could cut the ends of the tabs off and fit washers under the screws to distribute the load, but it doesn't seem like others are having the same issue.

Llama, did your car have the Harman Kardon factory system or the non-HK variant? Mine is HK and I don't believe I specified that earlier. BMW lists two different part numbers for HK and non-HK systems. Perhaps that accounts for the different experiences we're having?

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I've installed component 5.25's in both my 98 2.3 & 200 m roadster. I used both MBQuart and alpine with no fitment problems. Remember your crossovers are built into the amp so don't use the ones that come with your replacement. Both cars were HK systems originally but it shouldn't matter at the kick panel speaker. To my knowledge only the rears & sub varied over the years. See if you can slide the speed clips to line up the speaker frame

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast