Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1000hp e36 fuel pump setups

My Cars
    Turbo M3, Cosworth Benzo

1000hp e36 fuel pump setups

Hey guys I've been out of the game for a bit, recently changed out my injectors (had 1000's) and am looking to upgrade my current pump setup. Currently running dual 255's (one shit out) and ID2000 injectors.

Looking for something to flow enough for 1000whp on E85. What is everyone running now a days?
    ///Andres
    11 X5d sport - daily tow rig
    09 335d - evolve tuned 327whp / 490wtq
    97 M3 - NASA TTB
    95 M3 Turbo - 3.0l s52, PTE74GTQ, AEM EMS & CDI, etc

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    I feel like ill be in the same boat soon.

Right now ive got 2 walboro 450's in there and on paper they should support 1000whp but im not too optimistic.

Ill know in the next week or 2 if im actually screwed.
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Im setting up a hardwired magnafuel 750 on the car now for e85. -8an lines all the way.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    I have something coming down the pipeline very soon... single pump in tank (can be expanded to double), low amps, low noise, low heat... all fuels compatible.

Single pump should be capable of 800+whp on E85, and closer to 1100whp on gasoline.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    If i have issues, ill probably move to a fuel cell and big external pump, even though its "unsafe and will slosh"
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    86 325es
    By my math you would need right around 500 liters per hour of fuel flow. Twin AEM 380's with good wiring should get you there. Walbro 450's would also be about right but they are only good for 80 psi or so. Make sure you have good good good wiring to the pump with no resistance in it. Keep in mind that the pumps do not quite flow there advertised amount when actually installed in a car due to voltage drop and pushing through hose.

Personally I am sick and tired of external pumps so I am moving my twin AEM380s into the fuel cell. I'm tired of a cluttered up trunk.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Off topic but stay away from the 2000s for E85. If you were in Nevada and daily drove it, it'd be one thing but in the Northern climate, it's just too damn humid. The 2000s are the greatest injectors for their size but that's because they have an iron core, which makes them extremely susceptible to rust. I tried to make them work by making sure I ran the car every few weeks at least but one of them still started acting up. Get the 1700x

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    By my math you would need right around 500 liters per hour of fuel flow. Twin AEM 380's with good wiring should get you there. Walbro 450's would also be about right but they are only good for 80 psi or so. Make sure you have good good good wiring to the pump with no resistance in it. Keep in mind that the pumps do not quite flow there advertised amount when actually installed in a car due to voltage drop and pushing through hose.

Personally I am sick and tired of external pumps so I am moving my twin AEM380s into the fuel cell. I'm tired of a cluttered up trunk.
    ".....Not enough room for groceries in my 9 second car"
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Subscribed. I'm running twin 450's in tank, but using stock fuel lines. Interested if someone starts selling bent SS hardlines in 1/2 inch

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Makes whoosh noises
    Walbro standard 255 (non-e85) in tank feeding two Walbro 450's (E85 rated) in a radium surge tank and ID1700 injectors. On 83% Ethanol, base pressure 45psi, @ 26psi boost pressure, rising rate FORE regulator the duty cycle was around 80% at just over 1000rwhp (Dynojet SAE). All PTFE fuel lines. Only thing left to swap in is the old in-tank fuel pump which has lasted over 4 years...knock on wood.

I had ID2000's for 4 years in the same setup...worked great with over 40k miles. Ran pump...various contents of ethanol up to 98%. I wouldn't worry if you had a set of ID2000's already but if buying new go with the 1700's imo.

I'd try the new brushless fuel pump from radium if I had to start from scratch...run that in my surge tank. Lots of people are using the new brushless setups and Injector Dynamics has a full pump setup in R&D for the better part of a few years now...last I saw it was in the final stages after finding some hot spots on the circuit boards that needed a heat sink added. Paul Yaw doesn't fool around lol.
    Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 05-05-2017 at 09:14 PM.

1000+RWHP, Lab22 Built Turbo S54 - BMW Half Mile Record Holder

My Cars
    86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    ".....Not enough room for groceries in my 9 second car"
    Lol, actually your right. Once thats done I want to mount a booster seat in the passenger side so it can be a family car.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    '97 M3
    People always chuckle when they see the booster in the back of my M3.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    6465 328ti

1000hp e36 fuel pump setups

I'm running two walbro "485s" but with the higher pressure relief valve that opens up at 110-120psi on a RR hanger. -8 feed from the pump that goes through a older Ross racing Machine fuel rail then a -6 return back to the tank where its split to return to both sides of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by e30kid89; 05-06-2017 at 08:21 PM.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Anyone running a jet pump on the return to draw fuel over from the other side of their tank. Radium now sells one that's aluminum, but it's not cheap. Aeromotive sells one with their eliminator setup and I conned them into selling me one at one time for like $15. I think the part was actually a stock corvette or mustang piece but I could never find one.

On the topic of brushless. I think there's a stock (possibly buggati) pump that the GTR crowd is using

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Quote Originally Posted by cragg56 View Post
    Anyone running a jet pump on the return to draw fuel over from the other side of their tank. Radium now sells one that's aluminum, but it's not cheap. Aeromotive sells one with their eliminator setup and I conned them into selling me one at one time for like $15. I think the part was actually a stock corvette or mustang piece but I could never find one.

On the topic of brushless. I think there's a stock (possibly buggati) pump that the GTR crowd is using

Just checked out that radium jet pump, looks good and imho not a bad price compared to other fuel system components. My system is pretty much set but I may find an excuse to add that jet pump in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Their jet pump looks good, hopefully it sucks. I think that would be a good idea for someone with a surge tank but when our cars are doing a hard pull (no surge tank) with less than half a tank the fuel goes to the back of the tanks exposing the pump pick up in the little factory sump. It's even worse if you are trying to go through a long RH sweeper.

I didn't want to fill up my trunk with fuel pumps and surge tanks etc so I put a Walbro 450 on each side with the drivers pump mounted to the bottom aft outside corner. I have had no loss of fuel pressure accelerating or in long RH sweepers since running it right down to the reserve light. Both pumps run in parallel through -6 (3/8") lines feed and return. I'm only at 660 whp though. I'll do -8 when it's needed.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    Their jet pump looks good, hopefully it sucks. I think that would be a good idea for someone with a surge tank but when our cars are doing a hard pull (no surge tank) with less than half a tank the fuel goes to the back of the tanks exposing the pump pick up in the little factory sump. It's even worse if you are trying to go through a long RH sweeper.

I didn't want to fill up my trunk with fuel pumps and surge tanks etc so I put a Walbro 450 on each side with the drivers pump mounted to the bottom aft outside corner. I have had no loss of fuel pressure accelerating or in long RH sweepers since running it right down to the reserve light. Both pumps run in parallel through -6 (3/8") lines feed and return. I'm only at 660 whp though. I'll do -8 when it's needed.

How do you have the return setup? Return to each side with the stock jet pump?
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    Out of Service

On my last projec I utilized the stock jet pump on the drivers side as a "mount" to hold four of the following at the bottom of the fuel tank. They were spread out to the four corners of the drivers side fuel tank. Then i had a jet pump mounted on the passenger side, along with my fuel pumps, to draw fuel over to the passenger side. Never got to run the setup, but worked flawlessly in a fishtank partly filled with water and sloshing it around

http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/pickups.html

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
    Walbro standard 255 (non-e85) in tank feeding two Walbro 450's (E85 rated) in a radium surge tank and ID1700 injectors. On 83% Ethanol, base pressure 45psi, @ 26psi boost pressure, rising rate FORE regulator the duty cycle was around 80% at just over 1000rwhp (Dynojet SAE). All PTFE fuel lines. Only thing left to swap in is the old in-tank fuel pump which has lasted over 4 years...knock on wood. I had ID2000's for 4 years in the same setup...worked great with over 40k miles. Ran pump...various contents of ethanol up to 98%. I wouldn't worry if you had a set of ID2000's already but if buying new go with the 1700's imo. I'd try the new brushless fuel pump from radium if I had to start from scratch...run that in my surge tank. Lots of people are using the new brushless setups and Injector Dynamics has a full pump setup in R&D for the better part of a few years now...last I saw it was in the final stages after finding some hot spots on the circuit boards that needed a heat sink added. Paul Yaw doesn't fool around lol.
    So, why 1700s? Also, why lower your base fuel pressure just for pump headroom?
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    Lotus Super 7
    Many set-ups out there running over 1000 whp on E85 on twin wablro 485's. A lot of it depends on how much boost pressure your running and your base pressure along with fuel line sizing.
    Attention TURBO LOVERS, Great book -----> How to turbocharge and Tune your Engine

Favorite Automotive Tuning Articles on the Internet: Engine Tuning Articles
    My Car: Custom Build Lotus Super 7

My Cars
    Makes whoosh noises
    Went with 1700's as it was better matched for my power goals. Base pressure was 45 on my 2000's and it idled down to 800rpm reliably on pump fuel. As for the 1700's I haven't ran pump fuel on them yet but I suspect I could run a slightly higher base with pump fuel but there's been no need to change it yet. Plenty of other things to play around with.

1000+RWHP, Lab22 Built Turbo S54 - BMW Half Mile Record Holder

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cragg56 View Post
    Anyone running a jet pump on the return to draw fuel over from the other side of their tank.
    Isn't that what the factory uses to pull fuel from passenger to driver side saddle? I was planning on using the pre-'96 piece as it is works better according to guys that auto-x and race.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Muscle View Post
    Isn't that what the factory uses to pull fuel from passenger to driver side saddle? I was planning on using the pre-'96 piece as it is works better according to guys that auto-x and race.
    It does work better, but I was trying to see what aftermarket or other OEM components people are using considering the considerable amount of return fuel flow while at idle on a 1000hp car vs stock.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    SO i had my car on the dyno not too long ago.

twin 485's, i assume the older ones with lower pressure releif valve. One pump in each side of the tank
    -10 feed
    stock jet pump thing still functional
    -6 return split to both sides
    2200cc bosch injectors
    E90 fuel

on about 24 psi, it was dropping pressure. Power was low for the boost (780ish on a mustang, through an auto) but later found out i had thrust bearing issues and a slipping trans (almost back together)

The equalization from side to side sucks. Came up with an idea to add bulk heads and a cross over and later found out thats exactly what the porsche guys do too.

also, the fuel guage is crazy. Cant trust it. Hopefully, getting the sides equalized helps with that.

- - - Updated - - -

at full boost, it was about 78% DC with dropping fuel pressure, targeting 11.5 AFR on gas scale. This is a twin turbo LS engine and TH400.
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    The issues you are having with the saddle tank are the exact reason I put a fuel cell in my car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast